Three goals in 11 minutes | Syracusefan.com

Three goals in 11 minutes

Can't defend with 10 men when chasing a 9 goal differential. Ballsy move that failed miserably and when they pulled they first one back I thought they should've brought on Agger to at least secure the points.

Hind sight is 20:20 but playing for the win vs Chelsea compounded by that collapse is a bit disheartening.

When City wins the title, nobody really wins.

I'm rewatching now. This match sucks as a liverpool fan but as a casual observer it's a damn fun game to watch. Frenetic pace from both sides.

Chelsea lost the title because they were too concerned about Champions League in the dressing room. Every one of those losses came in the run up to a big C.L. game or, in the case of this draw with Norwich, from a C.L. hangover. Took their eye off the ball with the 'lower' teams that they expected to win. Bench didn't deliver when it mattered.

I have to say I'm surprised that Jose is ragging on Matic, though. He has been tremendous until the last couple games. His distribution has become a bit tentative, when he was so full of confidence a month ago. I guess this blow up at halftime had been coming. Still, Matic is a key player going forward, especially with Luiz apparently on his way out. You can't grind them ALL down into pulp. Matic was one of the tougher ones.

It must kill to have lost the title due to your team's manager having lost sight of the job he had to do. At 3-0 up, you bunker in and secure the result.

Against Chelsea, a draw would have still kept them in control of the title, but Rodgers forgot about the table, and chased a result that he didn't really need. And their defense has just deserted them. Sakho is too inconsistent, although he is fearless and a great athlete. You need Mats Hummels, a new Xabi Alonso and a winger like Levezzi, with some more strength and defensive ability. And then a couple more young, less expensive defenders. That's what Liverpool needs this summer.

You don't need Cavani. I wonder if England will be too quick a game for Pirlo, if he can make such great passes with less time on the ball, and less "escapability" as he gets older. This was a great year for them to break the title drought. It's going to be tougher next year, even more competitive, if that's possible.

Last edited:
Ifs and buts I suppose. If Liverpool could defend better they'd be champions, if chelsea could score more they'd me champions, if you combine Chelseas back half with liverpools front half they'd win every game, if you combine liverpools defense with chelseas attack you'd have tottenham.

Its all over but excuses barring something drastic for either pool or chelsea. We had our chance, took it, and missed. We missed a ton of opportunities vs palace before apparently running out of gas. We were heading for 0-0 at half vs Chelsea before an up from the one guy at the back you wouldn't expect it from. Had any of our defenders, lucas or allen done the same no one wouldve been suprised. Both games we still had a chance for points in stoppage and couldn't convert, Suarez denied by shwarzer and Moses denied by himself. Needless to say it took more than a few lucky bounces for liverpool to even be in that position. That winner vs City is not a shot Coutinho can make and yet somehow it did.

Chelsea on the other hand played great against top sides and then had some bizarre results vs lower teams. I understand CL fatigue but even the squad players shouldve been capable. The defense was lights out all year put in attack the sum never equalled all the pieces.

City just did what city does. Lose some bizarre matches on the road while taking advantage of the space of their home pitch to run circles around opponents.

My preseason top 4 was chelsea, city, liverpool, man u. I was only off badly on one and in all honesty wouldve guessed our third was 10 points behind the top two. Youre right about next year being a different race entirely but before transfers its anyones guess. If city are punished by ffp and lose 4 squad members while having to maintain 8 "homegrown" players things will get interesting. If Chelsea land Costa I'm not sure how anyone could not have them as favorites.

If we had drawn chelsea I'm sure we wouldve bunkered up vs palace but perhaps Rodgers came out trying to score because he didn't trust his team to hold you scoreless and end a match 0-0? We haven't had that scoreline in any of our matches this year and two and three goal leads haven't even been assured at any point much less Monday.

I understand his approach vs. Chelsea, but up 3-0 against Palace with 20 minutes to go, I don't know why he didn't sub out one or two of his pint sized wingers for an extra holding midfielder or extra man at the back. In Europe, you're going to learn that you have to know how to kill off a game. You guys don't seem to know how to do that, nor have it in your DNA. That will hurt you in Europe.

I understand his approach vs. Chelsea, but up 3-0 against Palace with 20 minutes to go, I don't know why he didn't sub out one or two of his pint sized wingers for an extra holding midfielder or extra man at the back. In Europe, you're going to learn that you have to know how to kill off a game. You guys don't seem to know how to do that, nor have it in your DNA. That will hurt you in Europe.

Agreed. I'm not sure we have the personelle to do it at the moment and perhaps Rodgers knows this. Not sure if Enrique is ever coming back and Glen Johnson is to concerned with playing up the pitch. Did you happen to see how many off Palace's 3 goals Johnson was out of position on?