Thunder pick up Grant's $1.5M Option | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thunder pick up Grant's $1.5M Option

It's also possible Grant wanted to bet on himself though? The market for RFA usually isn't that great, maybe if all that's out there is 3/12 or something, Grant passes on that, signs the one year tender anyway.

Bet on himself in what way? It was a team option.

Jeremy's problem wasn't with where he was drafted, but with the crappy contract he signed - the money was small and all the options were on the team's side. Even now, though he is under contract, it isn't guaranteed money. If he gets hurt or fails to impress during training camp, the Thunder can cut him and not owe him a dime.

It is the exact same deal that a 1st rounder get with a educated guess of the money scaled down to the pick.

Time to shine, and get the big money. I have faith he will, especially in OKC. As he has been solid from day one in the league. Perfect spot for him. He's gonna have a nice long career.

Getting drafted by Philly in the 2nd round was great for him. He got to showcase himself, and not just be stuck on a bench somewhere, then fall into obscurity.

It will be interesting to see if he develops more. No question the 2nd round drafted spot in PHI was great for him. Next year is a HUGE year from him. OkC and Grant need to show production when Westbrook isn't in the game. Grant still really cannot be counted on to create some offense or rebound at a decent clip. He's shown (albeit a very small sample size) that he can hit some threes. That's good. He can block shots on occasion too. But he isn't a very efficient player, frankly. I'm too lazy to look it up but one of the local OkC beat guys charted every possession Grant had last year. Whenever he took more than two dribbles and tried to drive it resulted in one of the highest turnover percentages in the league. Next year is really huge for him, IMO.

Bet on himself in what way? It was a team option.

What happens if OKC declines the option, he becomes RFA, and he doesn't like any of the deals offered? He signs a one year tender with OKC and hits the market next summer, no?

I know that's the deal with first rounders, maybe not second rounders.

Still making half of what any 1st round pick is making who had the option picked up (Ennis). He better get one hell of a 2nd contract because being a 2nd round pick has cost him millions he would have gotten as a 1st round pick the next year.
Not sure he would have been a first rounder. Deficiencies get magnified year 2.

Jerami is kind of a tweener in today's NBA. Since everyone is copycatting the GSWarriors model, he needs to be able to play the Draymond role of defense, rebounding, and consistently hitting the 3. Creating his own shot has never been a strong suit and the defense might be lacking. At 6'8 if he can evolve into a decent stretch 4, he will get paid.

Not sure he would have been a first rounder. Deficiencies get magnified year 2.

Yep. I'm just glad he's been able to cobble together a nice NBA career. He'll likely always be a journeyman, but he might make enough money to live comfortably for the rest of his life. That's a 'win' to me.

What happens if OKC declines the option, he becomes RFA, and he doesn't like any of the deals offered? He signs a one year tender with OKC and hits the market next summer, no?

I know that's the deal with first rounders, maybe not second rounders.

Well it'd be possible but say a team offered him 3yr/12m and he didn't like it, but the thunder did I am pretty sure due to the 'restricted' free agent, he'd have to sign that deal with OKC if they matched it

Jerami is kind of a tweener in today's NBA. Since everyone is copycatting the GSWarriors model, he needs to be able to play the Draymond role of defense, rebounding, and consistently hitting the 3. Creating his own shot has never been a strong suit and the defense might be lacking. At 6'8 if he can evolve into a decent stretch 4, he will get paid.
His offensive skill set doesn't fit in the league currently, and I don't think he will ever be a good enough shooter to stretch anything. The reason I think he may stick is he can play a nice role on the defensive end when teams go small, and play stretch 4's at the 5. He can cover ground, protect the rim, use his length, hit the glass. Providing of course his athleticism stays solid.

Well it'd be possible but say a team offered him 3yr/12m and he didn't like it, but the thunder did I am pretty sure due to the 'restricted' free agent, he'd have to sign that deal with OKC if they matched it

The thunder can't match an offer if Grant doesn't sign it. A team can offer Grant a deal, but if he doesn't sign it, there's nothing to match.

The thunder can't match an offer if Grant doesn't sign it. A team can offer Grant a deal, but if he doesn't sign it, there's nothing to match.

Ah, touche

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom