Tic-Tic-Tic...and what do you think of Notre Dame and... | Syracusefan.com

Tic-Tic-Tic...and what do you think of Notre Dame and...

arbitragegls

All Conference
update and yes seconds can go by slowly. It seems like there is a lot of negotiating and game playing being done. Apparently the Orange Bowl is agreeng with the ACC for a pool of potential teams to play against the ACC champion..but it primarily values Notre Dame. So one of the wrench's in the deal is the upcoming negotiation and 60 day grace period ESPN has with the BE for new TV contract. Apparently, NBC is in the wings waiting to bid large--and the question now is Notre Dame prepared to grease the table for the BE? This on top of fact Notre Dame is negotiating for self with NBC and NBC Sports needs college football and BE only conference available..and available across all time zones...!

It is down to one of two things happening and the Orange Bowl announcement and what is said may be the give-away as it should be coming down in next couple of weeks based on what I have been told.

So if you were to decide on following how would you vote:
1. Notre Dame and ACC make a deal that includes:
--4-6 football games a year against ACC('Cuse is one of teams that plays Notre Dame every other two or three years)
--Other sports come to ACC by '14
--Notre Dame does not get any favoritism on being chosen for a bowl tied to ACC...unless it has a very good season--but will not replace the ACC champion in Orange Bowl--but could be the second team in if ACC champion goes to semis and Notre Dame is not in semis
--Notre Dame does not commit to bring full membership initially...but the ACC will hold a spot for a time frame not necessarily defined

This may be it...so far ACC still holding strong on all in or nothing but cracks have taken place...how do you think 'Cuse would vote????

That would be an awful deal for the ACC and would lead to the league's demise. I am for finding a way to get ND into the ACC even as an associate member but what you outlined above is a flat out joke of a deal for the ACC.

As someone already pointed out ND basically already plays four ACC (pitt and syr included) teams a year.

No less than six games a year, which should be a deal breaker.

For that deal, the added value of ND in the mix (as indicated) better bring Humungous incremental dollars in the ACC's Orange Bowl proceeds.

As someone already pointed out ND basically already plays four ACC (pitt and syr included) teams a year.

Not that it matters all that much, but in the last decade Notre Dame is roughly .500 against the teams of the new ACC, including 1 - 2 against Syracuse. Oddly, ND has never played Virginia Tech...didn't first play Boston College until 1975.

If we can get 6 games with a percentage of tv, showing games on NBC for national exposure. Also some tenative time frame for football inclusion get Notre Dame. If Notre Dame moves the Big East is dead, even though the Irish are not in the league, they are the only name brand left. The ACC needs to work something out advantageous to both sides.

update and yes seconds can go by slowly. It seems like there is a lot of negotiating and game playing being done. Apparently the Orange Bowl is agreeng with the ACC for a pool of potential teams to play against the ACC champion..but it primarily values Notre Dame. So one of the wrench's in the deal is the upcoming negotiation and 60 day grace period ESPN has with the BE for new TV contract. Apparently, NBC is in the wings waiting to bid large--and the question now is Notre Dame prepared to grease the table for the BE? This on top of fact Notre Dame is negotiating for self with NBC and NBC Sports needs college football and BE only conference available..and available across all time zones...!

It is down to one of two things happening and the Orange Bowl announcement and what is said may be the give-away as it should be coming down in next couple of weeks based on what I have been told.

--4-6 football games a year against ACC('Cuse is one of teams that plays Notre Dame every other two or three years)
--Notre Dame does not get any favoritism on being chosen for a bowl tied to ACC...unless it has a very good season--but will not replace the ACC champion in Orange Bowl--but could be the second team in if ACC champion goes to semis and Notre Dame is not in semis
--Notre Dame does not commit to bring full membership initially...but the ACC will hold a spot for a time frame not necessarily defined

This may be it...so far ACC still holding strong on all in or nothing but cracks have taken place...how do you think 'Cuse would vote????
They have always had a very good relationship, so I side on teh side if it is a much better deal than what the BE takes, they will probably vote them in.

In the end, it comes down to dollars and cents. Is ESPN willing to increase the television payment to the ACC for a scheduling arrangement with ND? If not, this deal should be dead in the water. If an agreement is reached, ND should not be eligible for any ACC tie-ins unless the ACC does not have enough bowl eligible teams to fill them.

I dont want notre shame in the ACC. I didn't want them in the Big East either. Let them wither away and die.

I dont want notre shame in the ACC. I didn't want them in the Big East either. Let them wither away and die.
Some things just don't go away, no matter how far you run, where you go, and what you do, that bad penny just pops right back up again! :confused:

Syracuse doesn't have a traffic light off Tip Hill with green on top for nothing, there are plenty of Irish fans everywhere, right Mr. Williams & Mr. Jones!
l.jpg

I don't know what this translates into dollars but would this make the ACC more attractive to ND for their Olympic Sports than the BE?

ACC Reaches All-Time High for Broadcast Coverage of Fall Olympic Sports
77 ACC fall Olympic sport events slated to be broadcast in 2012.

Aug. 3, 2012
GREENSBORO, N.C. (theACC.com) – The Atlantic Coast Conference announced broadcast coverage today for its Olympic sports for the upcoming fall season. The league’s media rightsholders will distribute at least 77 events live, more than double any previous fall package.
"To have a record number of live broadcast opportunities this fall is a terrific way to highlight our players, schools and conference," said ACC Commissioner John Swofford. "Our fans now have more access to ACC content than ever before and I appreciate our television partners working together to set a new standard."
Highlights of the ACC’s upcoming fall broadcast schedule include:
  • 77 games, totaling 145 school appearances – the highest count in history for ACC fall Olympic sports and more than twice as many as the previous high.
  • All of the ACC Fall Championships’ (Men’s & Women’s Soccer and Field Hockey) semifinals and championship games will be distributed live. The league’s regional sports network will carry the 2012 ACC Field Hockey semifinals on November 2 (1:00p, 3:30p) in addition to the league’s title game on November 4 at 1 p.m. ESPN3 will carry the Men’s and Women’s Soccer semifinals contests, while ESPNU will showcase the ACC Championship games on November 4 (Women’s) at 1 p.m. and on November 11 (Men’s) at Noon. The ACC does not conduct a championship event in the sport of volleyball. The two quarterfinal matches for the 2012 ACC Field Hockey Championship will also be streamed live on theACC.com.
  • A total of 50 ACC fall contests will appear on ESPN networks including six on ESPNU and 44 on ESPN3. All 50 games will also be available on the WatchESPN mobile app.
  • An additional 15 games will be broadcast on the league’s regional sports networks (RSN), which reach nearly 32 million households and include FOX Sports Carolinas, SportSouth, FOX Sports Florida, Sun Sports, Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic, and NESN. All ACC games produced as part of the RSN package will also be available via WatchESPN.
  • Three additional soccer games -- two men’s games and one women’s game -- will be televised nationally on FOX Soccer as part of the NSCAA Game of the Week series.
  • As part of the ACC Digital Network’s new partnership with YouTube, four men’s and three women’s soccer games will be streamed live on the site.
In addition to the 77 events announced Friday as part of the ACC’s Olympic Sport conference package, other games will be carried by the official websites and regional cable partners of the ACC institutions. Further appearances also may be added as other conferences announce their television packages. A complete listing of those games will be released at a later date.

1) So what happened to firm timetable for full membership with huge penalty for not joining full time in fixed number of years?

2A) 4-6 games: big difference between 4 and 6; 7 games would allow rotation every 2 years.

2B) 4-6 games: if so, asking for trouble if ND is not rotating equally among all ACC members home and home.

3) special deals: sounds like recipe for trouble: maybe FSU would also like a special deal.

4) tie-in with ACC bowls beyond OB with a 4-6 game schedule: asking for trouble.

5) Best OB deal would seem to be highest ranking at large available with ND in the pool only if qualifies;
only offsetting factor is how the revenue split differs between a conference team vs ND as a single team.

6) all sports but football: whatever ACC wants to do is ok with me; however, see 3 above.
Question is: what does that do to ACC TV payout or northeast market exposure. That would be interesting to know.

Dude...im irish as all hell...but i hATE notre shame. Terrible comparison

Well, that ain't happening. I admit I'm probably the only person here who likes ND since I had family go there, but I'm genuinely confused as to why people hate the association with ND without their being a full-time member.

I mean, from ND's side, they don't have to join a conference so why would they? Wouldn't SU do the same thing? Isn't every program out for their own interests?

Secondly, the fact that everyone hates Notre Dame is really a good thing. Hating a team you play is way better than being mostly ambivalent. I mean, I love the idea of playing VaTech and BC (far more than any other teams for football) specifically b/c they drive me crazy.

Finally, how does it actually hurt the league if it doesn't hurt from a bowl perspective? It adds highly attended, highly rated nationally televised games to everyone's schedule.

I don't know, I just genuinely don't get why people are so against this.

Because notre dame has been stealing bowl games from the big east forever without actually being a football member. Secondly, ive never seen a program get so much respect year in and year out without doing a single thing worth noting in the last 20 years. Thirdly, i don't hate Notre Dame because of their prowess, or their success...i hage them because they have been riding their past success forever and its annoying as hell.

when it comes to reading everyones points about N.D and which conference and how they should be treated.I have more flip-flops than romney does on the major issues:noidea:

Because notre dame has been stealing bowl games from the big east forever without actually being a football member. Secondly, ive never seen a program get so much respect year in and year out without doing a single thing worth noting in the last 20 years. Thirdly, i don't hate Notre Dame because of their prowess, or their success...i hage them because they have been riding their past success forever and its annoying as hell.

I'm not denying any of this (though for SU fans to be furious about losing bowl games when we sell about 3,500 tix to most of those bowls is a bit disingenuous.). Have they done anything the last 15 years (20 takes you too far, back to an absolutely loaded and dominant 93 team and even more loaded 91-92 teams), eh not really I suppose. But they have won 9 games six times in that span and generally played a much tougher schedule than basically any other team the majority of those seasons (not every one).

But, ultimately, the whole point is that you hate them. I mean that's exactly what I'm saying. The fact that you hate them and there are threads once a week here (at least when Ped St. isn't vehemently defending pedophile protectors) about something to do with ND is the whole reason they should be in the ACC. That's my point. That hatred is exactly what you want in a conference or in a series.

But, ultimately, the whole point is that you hate them. I mean that's exactly what I'm saying. The fact that you hate them and there are threads once a week here (at least when Ped St. isn't vehemently defending pedophile protectors) about something to do with ND is the whole reason they should be in the ACC. That's my point. That hatred is exactly what you want in a conference or in a series.

I figure six games a year might barely make them worth hating.

What the ACC needs from Notre Dame are all football related. The ACC doesn't need any of Notre Dame's other sports, and quite frankly they are way outside the footprint geographically for those anyway. It would be nice to get them, particularly basketball and lacrosse, but they are not needed.

The Orange Bowl wants Notre Dame for ticket sales and viewers. If the ACC can't bring Notre Dame into the Conference in Football, offer them some deal to play in the Orange Bowl if they are ranked high enough. Leave it at that unless they bring at least 6 football games to the ACC each year for 13 years. Even then, Notre Dame should be required to join at some point. Let them stay in the Big East or go to the Big 12 otherwise. NO 4-6 football games. 6-9 games maybe.

If not, the Orange Bowl will be able to negotiate with other Conferences to have runners up to play the ACC Champion. Perhaps negotiate this with the SEC. TV will pay big bucks for that. Or negotiate it with the Big Ten. The ACC has wanted Notre Dame for years, and the ACC is stronger against these other conferences than it has ever been in football. The ACC has a winning record against the Big Ten since 2000 in bowls. Don't compromise the conference over Notre Dame.

What has kept the ACC together is equitable sharing of the resources. Inequality has caused major problems in the conferences that have it including the Big East and the Big 12. The ACC should not go there for Notre Dame or anyone else.

What the ACC needs from Notre Dame are all football related. The ACC doesn't need any of Notre Dame's other sports, and quite frankly they are way outside the footprint geographically for those anyway. It would be nice to get them, particularly basketball and lacrosse, but they are not needed.

The Orange Bowl wants Notre Dame for ticket sales and viewers. If the ACC can't bring Notre Dame into the Conference in Football, offer them some deal to play in the Orange Bowl if they are ranked high enough. Leave it at that unless they bring at least 6 football games to the ACC each year for 13 years. Even then, Notre Dame should be required to join at some point. Let them stay in the Big East or go to the Big 12 otherwise. NO 4-6 football games. 6-9 games maybe.

If not, the Orange Bowl will be able to negotiate with other Conferences to have runners up to play the ACC Champion. Perhaps negotiate this with the SEC. TV will pay big bucks for that. Or negotiate it with the Big Ten. The ACC has wanted Notre Dame for years, and the ACC is stronger against these other conferences than it has ever been in football. The ACC has a winning record against the Big Ten since 2000 in bowls. Don't compromise the conference over Notre Dame.

What has kept the ACC together is equitable sharing of the resources. Inequality has caused major problems in the conferences that have it including the Big East and the Big 12. The ACC should not go there for Notre Dame or anyone else.
A thousand times yes.

The problem the ACC/OB will have negotiating with the SEC or B10 is that their runner up some years will be playing in their own bowl id those bowls aren't part of the semis that year. So you could get their #3 which is not good from a perception standpoint and support the position of some that there are 4 major conferences.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I do like the way the ACC is going about it though, as far as they would not replace the ACC as champion, but play against them in relevent games, but then again, if they are going to play up to 6 games in the ACC, its like playing someone in the conference. I do hope they stick at All in or nothing.

agreed. All in or nada. There can't be any other way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom