Tiger and Lefty H2H on PPV Nov 23 | Syracusefan.com

Tiger and Lefty H2H on PPV Nov 23

Horrible.

The idea of those two in the final group on a major Sunday is one thing. This,,,no thanks...

"It's a way to show a side you don't normally see by having us miked up to hear some of the interaction between us."

That's not golf as much as it's voyeurism

So the PGA maxed out at 8.5 million viewers during Sunday's round. This event is on Black Friday, which is the busiest shopping day of the year. It's also one of the biggest CFB weekends of the year. But let's assume that 1 out of 50 of those viewers would buy a PPV ticket, or 170,000 people. I can't imagine they'd ask for more than $50. That would gross $8,500,000.

Other revenue would certainly come from the gate (though they are talking about keeping the crowd small), sponsors, and merchandise. But there would also be production expenses, PPV commissions, etc...

This one is baffling.

So the PGA maxed out at 8.5 million viewers during Sunday's round. This event is on Black Friday, which is the busiest shopping day of the year. It's also one of the biggest CFB weekends of the year. But let's assume that 1 out of 50 of those viewers would buy a PPV ticket, or 170,000 people. I can't imagine they'd ask for more than $50. That would gross $8,500,000.

Other revenue would certainly come from the gate (though they are talking about keeping the crowd small), sponsors, and merchandise. But there would also be production expenses, PPV commissions, etc...

This one is baffling.

Golfaholics are a strange lot. Some will do literally anything to get their fix.

I got disposable income to spare and I love Tiger but won’t spend to watch this.
Instead of just doing a skins game and bringing in Rory and maybe a Speith they are going to do a head to head which few will pay for.
If they got corporate sponsors this could have paid for itself.

Instead putting it on PPV will kill its value.

I would have to think that both golfers have agreed to a much lower payout if the revenues are insufficient.

But by saying they are playing for 9 million, instead of what will probably just be a million or two, is more attractive for the event.

They're not playing for charity? Seriously? (Oops, I seem to be overusing 'Seriously?') They sure don't need the money. Way to burnish their increasingly tarnished reps. Greedy bastards.

I was ok with flipping back and forth with college football and the match that Friday, but yeah, I’m not going to pay for it.

$10...maybe.

The casual fan (me) will be taking his money elsewhere (preferably biergarden) on this night close to thanksgiving.

If it was $5.99 or $6.99 I might pay for it, at the last minute if I had nothing else planned. Even for free, this is not must see TV. (And I like TIger and hate Phil)

Here is what I would pay up to $15 for

If the Ryder Cup became greedy, and they decided to make Tiger/Phil a pair once again in a meaningful match I would watch. I would like to see how they work togehter in a stressful situation to see if some of the old disdain would come back out.

If it was $5.99 or $6.99 I might pay for it, at the last minute if I had nothing else planned. Even for free, this is not must see TV. (And I like TIger and hate Phil)

Here is what I would pay up to $15 for

If the Ryder Cup became greedy, and they decided to make Tiger/Phil a pair once again in a meaningful match I would watch. I would like to see how they work togehter in a stressful situation to see if some of the old disdain would come back out.
As someone who hates tigger and loves Phil, we should set up a payperview of the 2 of us watching at a bar arguing for 4 hours or so.

We can have alsacs come to, so when he tries to provide his input, both of us at the same time can say...’shut up alsacs’.

I’m stunned they went The payperview route.

Are you telling me that the Shawshank Redemption on TNT, opposed to that will do better ratings??

Looks like the football is pretty weak that day too.

Ark-Mizzou at 230, the Oregon Civil War at 4 and then Okie-WV at 8.

Makes no sense.

As someone who hates tigger and loves Phil, we should set up a payperview of the 2 of us watching at a bar arguing for 4 hours or so.

We can have alsacs come to, so when he tries to provide his input, both of us at the same time can say...’shut up alsacs’.

I’m stunned they went The payperview route.

Are you telling me that the Shawshank Redemption on TNT, opposed to that will do better ratings??

Looks like the football is pretty weak that day too.

Ark-Mizzou at 230, the Oregon Civil War at 4 and then Okie-WV at 8.

Makes no sense.
We would be entertaining as I would say.
Phil is lucky he isn’t in prison.
That story totally has been buried by the Phil media.
He was guilty of textbook insider trading. The person he told is in jail and the other guy is in jail but Phil got got off with a 900k fine.

Tiger’s biggest problem was he never tipped the little people and thus he didn’t have loyalty. Phil has done stuff that is bush league as well but it’s buried.

If this thread devolves into a Tiger / Phil bashing thing it will probably be more entertaining then the event itself.

For the event to work there would need to some real nastiness. If Tom Watson had challenged Phil Mickelson to a million dollar match while on the mic after the 2014 Ryder Cup, that would be worth watching.

The other problem is only watching 2 guys play for 4 hours... even when Tiger played well at WGC match play final back in the day the ratings were not as good as other events.

Yes, they show lots of Tiger shots and many Phil Shots in a tourney, but they are showing much more than just them.

The event needs some other matches going on as well to make it totally ridiculous:

Bryson Dechambeau vs Keegan Bradley (Tiger's nerd vs Phil's boy toy)
Vijay Singh vs Patrick Reed (both players are allowed to cheat a few times)
Dustin Johnson vs 2 man Champions tour team**
Gary Player vs any modern player in a sit-up battle.

** There is a rumour (and it could very well be untrue) that Dustin Johnson messed around with a few wives of some of the older tour players some years ago.

I mean a 4 way match play with Tiger, Phil, Rory, Speith would atleast somewhat interest me that I would probably pay for the pay per view.
Have Tiger vs. Phil and Speith vs. Rory and then winners play.

This head to head won’t draw.

The other problem is only watching 2 guys play for 4 hours... even when Tiger played well at WGC match play final back in the day the ratings were not as good as other events.

Yes, they show lots of Tiger shots and many Phil Shots in a tourney, but they are showing much more than just them.

The event needs some other matches going on as well to make it totally ridiculous:

Bryson Dechambeau vs Keegan Bradley (Tiger's nerd vs Phil's boy toy)
Vijay Singh vs Patrick Reed (both players are allowed to cheat a few times)
Dustin Johnson vs 2 man Champions tour team**
Gary Player vs any modern player in a sit-up battle.

** There is a rumour (and it could very well be untrue) that Dustin Johnson messed around with a few wives of some of the older tour players some years ago.
An undercard is the way to go.

I always go with the smoke/Fire rule on these things.

No doubt Dustin was ripping lines off a few champions tour trophy wives yabbos.

i'll watch if its not too expensive.

I would definitely pay $10 to watch it. However, I agree there needs to be an under card and some other stuff going on. Definitely players and caddies miked up. Another match as well to keep things fresh.

One of the major problems is that they have to create a "reason" why this is so important to the players. And the reason they have come up with is that the money prize of $9m is so huge. And that legitimately may make them take it very seriously.

I think overall that is a turn off to fans. Think of the majors. No one cares that the players are playing for $2 million winning prize. The fedex cup they stress that the winner is making $10million and I am sure it makes the players take it serious;y... that has never really drawn fans. Fans are more concerned how significant the event is to the players, not that they are getting worked up by cash.

And with respect to the cash, I really doubt they are guaranteed to make 9 million. I suspect the players like TNT, are partners in the event. If the PPV numbers are great they probably a cut even greater than this If the PPV numbers suck they probably make much less.

Last edited:
One of the major problems is that they have to create a "reason" why this is so important to the players. And the reason they have come up with is that the money prize of $9m is so huge. And that legitimately may make them take it very seriously.

I think overall that is a turn off to fans. Think of the majors. No one cares that the players are playing for $2 million winning prize. The fedex cup they stress that the winner is making $10million and I am sure it makes the players take it serious;y... that has never really drawn fans. Fans are more concerned how significant the event is to the players, not that they are getting worked up by cash.

And with respect to the cash, I really doubt they are guaranteed to make 9 million. I suspect the players like TNT, are partners in the event. If the PPV numbers are great they probably a cut even greater than this If the PPV numbers suck they probably make much less.

I would have to think they are guaranteed to make at least $9 million or there would be some sort of fraud/fraud in the inducement liability. It would depend on how they officially market it, I suppose; i.e. are the playing for "up to" $9 million, "exactly" $9 million or "at least" $9 million?

The money here, as you state above, is a material inducement for the players, but it's also a material inducement for the consumer. If the public was told that they were simply playing a $10 Nassau with $5 dots and $2 snakes, I think it's safe to assume the level of interest would be significantly lower than it is currently.

If the TBT ultimately cut a check to the winners for less than the promoted $2 million because revenues disappointed, they'd be in a lot of trouble I believe. If Phil or Tiger ultimately walked away with well less than the promoted amount, the public would feel duped.

On a side note, I guess it would be very hard for the interested parties to insure this event given the lack of precedence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom