Tiger | Syracusefan.com

Tiger

MSOrange

2020 Cali Award Winner, Regular Season Record
Shot an 85 at the Memorial today. Does anybody think he will win another major. If so, why?

I just don't see him winning any more majors. I think he's too much of a mess both mentally and physically. I think he will get back to the point where he will win some tournaments again. There are those courses that he can just dominate if he can get to playing better. But I think he's done in the majors.

Last edited:
No, and a few years ago he was considered a lock to breaks Jack's majors record. He might have had the biggest fall from grace in the history of sports.

Always tinkering with his swing and generally not to good effect.

When Tiger had just come back from his SUV affair and half way thru the 2010 Masters, he was near the top of the leaderboard. I posted then that I thought he only had a 50% chance of winning another major. That has certainly held up though I was having doubts when he won 5 events in 2013. He changed his swing once, early on, when he was playing well and it worked for him because he was just so good, but he was probably a little lucky. Ask Hal Sutton how his swing changed worked when he was a major champion and at the top of his game. The difference now is that Tiger is changing his swing when he is not playing well - the chances of that working are much lower. Especially since this is the fourth or fifth time he has overhauled his swing. Another major issue he has is putting. He used to be one of the best and now he is very average. Good luck getting that back at age 39. Finally, he was one of the longest hitters when he was winning, now he is average among top players, that is a big advantage to lose.

Shot an 85 at the Memorial today. Does anybody think he will win another major. If so, why?

I just don't see him winning any more majors. I think he's too much of a mess both mentally and physically. I think he will get back to the point where he will win some tournaments again. There are those courses that he can just dominate if he can get to playing better. But I think he's done in the majors.

He's so good at Augusta that I think he still has another in him but I wouldn't pick him to win anywhere else.

He's so good at Augusta that I think he still has another in him but I wouldn't pick him to win anywhere else.

Since 2012 at Augusta:
T40
Cheated
DNP
T17

When Tiger had just come back from his SUV affair and half way thru the 2010 Masters, he was near the top of the leaderboard. I posted then that I thought he only had a 50% chance of winning another major. That has certainly held up though I was having doubts when he won 5 events in 2013. He changed his swing once, early on, when he was playing well and it worked for him because he was just so good, but he was probably a little lucky. Ask Hal Sutton how his swing changed worked when he was a major champion and at the top of his game. The difference now is that Tiger is changing his swing when he is not playing well - the chances of that working are much lower. Especially since this is the fourth or fifth time he has overhauled his swing. Another major issue he has is putting. He used to be one of the best and now he is very average. Good luck getting that back at age 39. Finally, he was one of the longest hitters when he was winning, now he is average among top players, that is a big advantage to lose.

Retief Goosen was another who had an absolutely gorgeous swing, won two US Opens ('01 & '04) and decided he had to change his swing while at the top of his game. I don't get it. I'd have strangled my firstborn for that swing (well, not really) but that's how just plain beautiful that swing was. Perfect tempo, rivaling even Fred Couples. Phil Mickelson is a study in the opposite, seems to me. His swing is his swing, and he "dances with the one he brung." His swing is still much more free and natural than Woods. He seems to accept that he'll win on good weekends, and he won't on others. Tiger's a control freak (as in, "It's all about ME!"). When he missed a fairway, a green or a putt, it was all about how he'd fix that, instead of just accepting that golf is not chess. He may win another Masters (think: Jack at 46) but apart from that, I also think he's done. If for no other reason than there's such a vast wealth of competition now, and there's no one out there who's intimidated by him anymore.

I think he needs a sports psychologist, not a swing coach. Friday he hit into the right rough every drive on the front and still managed to score decent (70) You cant put that kind of pressure on yourself though. He completely lost his confidence and until he gets that back all the swing coaches in the world won't help. (Not even B Harmon)

I used to think Woods was a lock to blow past Jack's record for majors, but unless something changes drastically for him soon, I would be shocked to see him win another major. The clock is really ticking for him, and history hasn't always been kind to golf's phenoms.

Tom Watson won the last of his 8 majors at age 33 and was essentially done winning on the regular tour by age 35. Johnny Miller won his second U.S. Open at 29 and only won twice on the regular tour after he was 35. Neither of those guys had the physical problems Woods has either, nor did they tinker obsessively with their swings.

Edit: As I thought more about Watson and Miller, it occurred to me that what ended their runs was really their putting, as both continued to be fine ball strikers for many years after. Tiger is nowhere near the great putter he once was (and is unlikely to approach that level again as he ages), plus his short game is currently terrible and his driving has been erratic for years. Add in his many physical problems, the almost certain confidence issues he must be struggling with, and depth of talent at all age levels he is competing against today and the future doesn't look too promising for him.

Last edited:
there are more guys who think they can beat him and thats his main issue. 10 years ago 1-2 thought they could and the rest caved in to pressure.. now there are 40 who think they can so his mental advantage is gone.. jack even when he was 40+ and his body was shot found a way to stay in the big tourneys for 10 more years. tiger isnt even 40 and while he has injury issues he is still in far better shape than guys 30 years ago were at 40..

Maybe he should hit up the beer cart once in awhile. Who doesn't play better after one or two?

Ha...I was just searching through old Tiger takes too... I am an unashamed, unabashed Tiger fan. I watch almost every time he plays. His body language this week was tooooooootallly different from the past few years. He had that early 2000s strut going. He won this tournament by not losing it on #14 Thursday and Friday, where he made two ridiculous "only tiger would even try those shots" birdies.

Then today, everyone ahead of him seemed to melt down the stretch. It is ridiculously hard to play well when you are in the group ahead of him because of all the fan movement and rowdiness. I think Koepka was much more annoyed than he let on. Its what the players 15 years ago dealt with all the time.

Augusta is short enough where Tiger doesn't lose much to the long hitters. Not sure he can win a major elsewhere, but today was fun to watch and really great for the game.

Ha...I was just searching through old Tiger takes too... I am an unashamed, unabashed Tiger fan. I watch almost every time he plays. His body language this week was tooooooootallly different from the past few years. He had that early 2000s strut going. He won this tournament by not losing it on #14 Thursday and Friday, where he made two ridiculous "only tiger would even try those shots" birdies.

Then today, everyone ahead of him seemed to melt down the stretch. It is ridiculously hard to play well when you are in the group ahead of him because of all the fan movement and rowdiness. I think Koepka was much more annoyed than he let on. Its what the players 15 years ago dealt with all the time.

Augusta is short enough where Tiger doesn't lose much to the long hitters. Not sure he can win a major elsewhere, but today was fun to watch and really great for the game.
Me too. This win made me very happy. It had everything - redemption, intrigue, history, and the old Tiger swagger. That game face he wore the last 3 or 4 holes took me back years.

I know The Kaiser worships at the throne of Phil, but there will never be another Tiger. Changed the game.

skurey brilliance again!!

I found I was thinking the same thing myself. Augusta is much more forgiving off the tee than the other majors are set up to be, and that's what was holding Tiger back in other situations these last couple years. I still don't like him, but he certainly earned his win today. Kudos.

Again I reiterate, I was wrong,, very wrong. I couldn't be more wrong if my butt was screwed on backwards.

I used to think Woods was a lock to blow past Jack's record for majors, but unless something changes drastically for him soon, I would be shocked to see him win another major. The clock is really ticking for him, and history hasn't always been kind to golf's phenoms.

Tom Watson won the last of his 8 majors at age 33 and was essentially done winning on the regular tour by age 35. Johnny Miller won his second U.S. Open at 29 and only won twice on the regular tour after he was 35. Neither of those guys had the physical problems Woods has either, nor did they tinker obsessively with their swings.

Edit: As I thought more about Watson and Miller, it occurred to me that what ended their runs was really their putting, as both continued to be fine ball strikers for many years after. Tiger is nowhere near the great putter he once was (and is unlikely to approach that level again as he ages), plus his short game is currently terrible and his driving has been erratic for years. Add in his many physical problems, the almost certain confidence issues he must be struggling with, and depth of talent at all age levels he is competing against today and the future doesn't look too promising for him.
Idiot. You forgot to consider that the great ones are sometimes able to defy history.

there are more guys who think they can beat him and thats his main issue. 10 years ago 1-2 thought they could and the rest caved in to pressure.. now there are 40 who think they can so his mental advantage is gone.. jack even when he was 40+ and his body was shot found a way to stay in the big tourneys for 10 more years. tiger isnt even 40 and while he has injury issues he is still in far better shape than guys 30 years ago were at 40..
Molinari caved in

I know he's no longer near the top of driving distance, but to me that won't be his biggest issue. He's back to being the best iron player in the world, so that can help make up for length off the tee. To me it mostly comes down to his putting. He missed a bunch of putts this week and still won. I don't even think he's close to the top 100 in putting this year. If he can improve that then who knows what he can do.

He's contended at the last 3 majors now. He's won before at the next 2. Bethpage Black has flat greens and Pebble isn't very long

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom