Time For Army To Get On The Schedule | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Time For Army To Get On The Schedule

Moving to the ACC we will not be playing Rutgers and UConn anymore as far as I know...I suggest we try to get games going with Army on a fairly regular basis. One idea I have is the teams play for the "10th Mountain Trophy" or the "10th Mountain Flag".
41FPguVDH1L._SL500_SS500_.jpg

After the game is over Syracuse should follow Military Academy tradition and sing the West Point Alma Mater with the Cadets and West Point Players would do likewise with Syracuse.

images

A game at West Point is >>>>>>> better than a game in Piscataway or East Hartford.
Michie_Stadium_South_display_image.jpg
a25d1e0991323ed8i3.jpg
Rentschler_CT_3_03.jpg

Thoughts?

It should be the first or second weekend in October every year.

This is an excellent idea on every level, Mark. Definitely send this to TGD.

This is an excellent idea on every level, Mark. Definitely send this to TGD.

I'll send it along with a link to this thread to the decision makers on Monday. The nice thing is Army is about 3.5 hrs by car from Syracuse so fans could even go down and come back the same day from CNY.

I'd love to get the 10th Mountain Division involved with this...the words "Climb to Glory" could be in the title of the series.

It has made zero sense that for years we've played MAC schools, ECU, UCF, etc. and never played a regular series with Army.

It's an awesome pairing on so many levels.

We should be playing them every single year.

Schedule it so that we play them at Michie during the years we play only one of our BC/Maryland/Pitt trio on the road. Ensures 2 northeast road games every year to go along with our 6 home games. Means we'd play 2/3rds of our schedule every year in the northeast, which would be great being in a southern-leaning conference.

Just because it appears to make sense for Syracuse doesn't mean that it makes sense for Army. They returned to independence stating that conference play was too tough. It's worth a shot, however, even if it only leads to a 2 game series.

Just because it appears to make sense for Syracuse doesn't mean that it makes sense for Army. They returned to independence stating that conference play was too tough. It's worth a shot, however, even if it only leads to a 2 game series.
And if you remember it was the MAC that Army dropped out of. I'd put Army on a rotation with Colgate and play one of them every year. They're not good enough competition to play every season. Army really belongs in FCS and it would not suprise me if they end up there. You really can't make too big of a deal for a series with a dramatically inferior opponent.

Remember only a small percentage of the Army personnel actually attended West Point...tons of the "Regular Joe's" come from around the NE who are posted at Ft Drum and have no connection to West Point...some of them will cheer for Cuse. You really think CuseTroop would cheer for Army over Syracuse if he was stationed at Ft Drum?

When I was in the Air Force I liked seeing USAFA do well but I wouldn't have put them in my top 10 list of teams back then.

I pretty much only follow Army football during the Army - Navy game

And if you remember it was the MAC that Army dropped out of. I'd put Army on a rotation with Colgate and play one of them every year. They're not good enough competition to play every season. Army really belongs in FCS and it would not suprise me if they end up there. You really can't make too big of a deal for a series with a dramatically inferior opponent.

They dropped out of C-USA.

If they're going to do this, they should schedule the games for years when SU is going to play Georgia Tech. It'll give the defense extra time to prepare for the triple option.

We should have been playing Army continuously for decades. It would make a great season opener.

yer right. They turned down entrance into the MAC.
C-USA was much, much better back when they were in the league. Army made a bowl game recently they don't totally suck but Cuse should beat them 9 out of 10 times...maybe 19 out of 20 times.

C-USA was much, much better back when they were in the league. Army made a bowl game recently they don't totally suck but Cuse should beat them 9 out of 10 times...maybe 19 out of 20 times.

Army should be on the schedule instead of any FCS, that's for sure. Plus it gives the team more exposure in NY, good pub, and a trip that SU fans can and, hopefully, actually make.

ARMY does not belong in FCS. Navy and Air Force have been posting 8 + win seasons for a long times and almost always have the big boys on the Ropes. Army is going to be doing the same although a BCS team like the 'Cuse should be able to beat them most of the time.

ARMY was very competitive in the 90's and then they fired Bob Sutton and replaced their athletic director. That new AD (Greenspan?) and that coach (Todd Berry) destroyed ARMY football for quite sometime contributing to NAVY's decade of dominance.

Now the Black Knights of the Hudson are back on track and are more competitive under coach Rich Ellerson and the Flexbone. As the wishbone/option oriented offenses are the only ones suitable for the service academies who recruit highly intelligent, yet less athletic players than the football factories.

Syracuse should play Army every year instead of any FCS team. Its a New York based team and is close for the NYC metro folks and is one of the best college football atmospheres ever.

Now, as was said the NYC metro folks won't really support the football team until we are winning consistently again. This "basketball only" crap drives me up the wall but it is what it is.

Case in point. I can get a dozen or more guys easy to come to a 'Cuse bball game in the metro area (Rutgers, Seton Hall, SJU) during midweek. But for a Saturday football game its like bleeding stone. Hell, I got buddies coming in from out of town the weekend of the USC game. They're not going to the USC game, no no, they are going to the freakin' U.S. Open instead!! I can't get anyone to go to this game its unbelievable.

Hopefully I will be able to bust their chops for missing that game until the end of days!!! Go 'Cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom