Time to Retire Welcome to the Jungle for Pre-Tip | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Time to Retire Welcome to the Jungle for Pre-Tip

Ugh, I agree with this. If I have to hear "the thunder from down under" 5 times a game this year, I might puke into my beer. I've noticed in football, he doesn't know what's going on half the time. Get's excited over plays that are clearly coming back because of a penalty. Talking while the ref is trying to make a call over the loudspeakers. In one of the preseason bball games, there was a foul on Christmas and he announced the foul as being on whoever number 25 was on the other team. :bang:

And yeah, Welcome to the Jungle needs to go. I hated it when it was my high school basketball team's song that was played when we came on the court 10 years ago and I hate it now.

I'd settle with never hearing the phrase "[SU player] will be shooting a duece for the 'Cuse"

And yeah, Welcome to the Jungle needs to go. I hated it when it was my high school basketball team's song that was played when we came on the court 10 years ago and I hate it now.

It was my high school basketball song in '92 !! Dang I'm old. Although we also had that rap song "colors" anybody remember that one!

It was my high school basketball song in '92 !! Dang I'm old. Although we also had that rap song "colors" anybody remember that one!

Haha it really is the song that won't die!

In fairness, I don't see why the team shouldn't pick the music that's played, within reason. You could hear current hip-hip (the edited versions) being pumped into Cincy's football stadium during our game against them last week and the players on both sides were visibly reacting to it. Honestly, Rick Ross' Hold Me Back would be an excellent song for the team to take the floor to.

Funny you mention Cincinnati. I heard the same thing and said to my game-watching companions: "I can't express how thankful I am that my alma mater doesn't blast Eminem songs in the football stadium for the whole college football-watching world to hear."

The '98-'99 and '99-'00 basketball teams worked out a fantastic compromise that I've not seen replicated - the staff set up a stereo under the north-end basket when the players were going through the layup line and played music that the players liked. 90% of the fans in the building could only hear the band (which seems to be there more for the benefit of fans and general atmosphere than for the teams). Everyone seemed to be happy.

Edited rap is both lame and (often) still inappropriate for the venue - anyone with two ears who's paying attention can usually get a pretty good sense of the offending language. I'm sure I share the players' taste in music (not Eminem, of course, if kids even still listen to that crap), but a ballgame isn't, in many instances, an appropriate place to share it.