Tipping point. Benny’s privacy and other matters. | Syracusefan.com

Tipping point. Benny’s privacy and other matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Manleymen

It is a private matter for Benny. And I respect that. We have only heard one sentence about it uttered in an after game press conference that created more questions than answers. I hope Benny has peace and it is nothing major for him. He seems like a really good guy. Secondarily, SU basketball has a big public relations problem right now affecting every aspect. Fueled by the proverbial ”winning solves everything” factor it seems this time it is different Nd is bubbling to the top. Perhaps this and the alarming national exposure of the after VA presser has raised the level of concern. Who do we look for leadership, U. President, Trustees, AD? We have always won the honors we shall accept no less……

It is a private matter for Benny. And I respect that. We have only heard one sentence about it uttered in an after game press conference that created more questions than answers. I hope Benny has peace and it is nothing major for him. He seems like a really good guy. Secondarily, SU basketball has a big public relations problem right now affecting every aspect. Fueled by the proverbial ”winning solves everything” factor it seems this time it is different Nd is bubbling to the top. Perhaps this and the alarming national exposure of the after VA presser has raised the level of concern. Who do we look for leadership, U. President, Trustees, AD? We have always won the honors we shall accept no less……
Me too.

Last edited:
Ny times and ny post are running Tweets with headline, boehiem lashes out at reporter, etc. It's becoming open season on Jim.
Deservedly so.
In years past he could simply yell "scoreboard" and keep it moving. But no one, in the history of anything, has ever won a battle against the assembled media horde. One headline alone will skewer you, and retractions, apologies, et al, are largely ignored. Give them an opening, and they'll gut you.
We have an ornery old man at the helm, a la the fading Bob Knight, who just doesn't seem to "get it" anymore. And honestly, he could care less either.

Bad look. As much as this season has sucked lets be honest there isn't a single ACC regular season since the Ennis year where we were any better. Its time.

The new coach will bring in his own guys with the transfer rules realistically only 4-5 current players max will see the court next year for us. No point speculating exactly who stays next year even if the wish list is obvious.

Ny times and ny post are running Tweets with headline, boehiem lashes out at reporter, etc. It's becoming open season on Jim.
It may be the only way to give the administration an “out”… the student reporters need to keep asking questions and not back down… eventually Jim will say something so lascivious or offensive that Wildhack or Kent would have his excuse to pull the plug

Well I dream that this keeps getting replayed and echoed. And JW has no choice but to suspend him for a game. I'm sure that would go over well. It then strains things and then Jim says screw it and leaves after the season. A la Urban Meyers last year at OSU where he was suspended the first 3 games and even sort of the jaguars.

So you feel strongly enough to create a post on this topic but have you felt strong enough to send emails of your thoughts to everyone you listed?

JAB is JAB. Most likely the only thing that would cause him to lose his job is a string of losing records. However with Adam in his pocket, I'm not sure that would happen.

I have a new nickname for JB. He is no longer the professor. From this day forward he will be known by me as

Asparagus. better known as GUS. As in GUS from Cats

Bad look. As much as this season has sucked lets be honest there isn't a single ACC regular season since the Ennis year where we were any better. Its time.

The new coach will bring in his own guys with the transfer rules realistically only 4-5 current players max will see the court next year for us. No point speculating exactly who stays next year even if the wish list is obvious.
Not necessarily true as they may keep it internal like Duke did.

That’s what I think, I mean he did throw some chairs once lol. I think he’s pretty snarky to the press, kind of looks down his nose. But I really didn’t see anything controversia. He’s done much worse…
The chair was after a Georgetown player punched Andre Hawkins and didn’t get tossed. It was absolutely the right reaction.

Boy I watched the presser and saw nothing that out of the ordinary. The comparison to Bobby Knight is out there. JB is no Bobby night when it comes to anger and outbursts.
I agree he's also no Bobby Knight in terms of on court accomplishments. What they seem to both have in common is being stubborn,thin skinned and possibly over staying their welcome.

I agree he's also no Bobby Knight in terms of on court accomplishments. What they seem to both have in common is being stubborn,thin skinned and possibly over staying their welcome.
What do you mean?

Boy I watched the presser and saw nothing that out of the ordinary. The comparison to Bobby Knight is out there. JB is no Bobby night when it comes to anger and outbursts.
Agreed. I did not see anything either. It seemed to me he was short and disappointed, pissed off, not really in the mood for questions but he's the coach and has to answer questions at a presser after every game but over the years I have watched him and he will disregard you or not answer if he does not think your question is pertinent to the game. Over forty years of this - you'd better be ready.

Opnion: I feel the press likes to make, at times to get their copy read, bigger issues than they really are. The following is the best I can understand the beginning of the presser and the back and forth between the student reporter and Jim:

The student reporter asked "what's the status of Benny Williams?" Jim answered, "is that your question, that's your most important question you have, "He was not in school today... is that your most important question here?" Hard to make out the student reporters response about getting an answer. "I will answer it - your attitude isn't really that good either...softly chuckling. Benny took a personal day, he will be back at practice on Wednesday. That's it, we have that one question...that's typical in Syracuse, it is, it is... continued with other reporters.

What a bunch of namby pamby's taken aback by JB's reaction to the student reporters question. Jim is an honest, hard assed coach. Expecting less from him on a night like Monday is like staring at an alert rattlesnake. He answered the questions from the reporters genuinely and was cordial except for the beginning. At least he woke them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom