Tired of Student excuses!...DID YOU KNOW... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Tired of Student excuses!...DID YOU KNOW...

Do what u gotta do and stop ur complaining. if thats what it takes then do it.But u might better stop blaming the people working for a living to to support they families while giving the drunk students a free pass because they are TO FUKKING HUNGOVER to get to a game.The more that school shits on the general public, the farther the the school is gonna push the general public away.and that goes for ur crap to blackknight

Dude, I haven't complained anywhere, aside from you accusing me of said complaining. If people can't afford to go to games, I fully understand that. I don't think the issue is people not being able to afford $100 season tickets as much as it is people just being lazy.

Also, reading comprehension is generally a nice skill to have when trying to 'add' to a conversation.

You're attacking the students that aren't the problem. If we post here, we clearly have a passion for the program. You're clearly delusional if you have any negative words to say about BK. He works his ass off to try to get students to come. He's not SU Football's marketing staff.

Attendance threads are usually useless because whether it is students or non-students, most of the rants are against people who don't post here.

Blacknight, i would like to publicly appologize for my rants towards you.We are all on the same team here.Just wish it didn't allways feel like an US vs THEM thing.Keep up the good work man.And yes,go door to door and wake they asses up.

I can agree that it is quite sad that Syracuse holds a block party at the dome featuring nas, marley and kid cudi and pack the house.
Nas, Marley and Kid Cudi are more entertaining than Syracuse football.

Also, non-students should about the student section. Try worrying about the other 45,000 seats that go half-f%#king-full each week.
Score board.

The night games should be better attended, I think the student section is fine

The student section is not fine. there were at most 350 students there for toledo.

The local crowd is not fine. there was at most 28,000 there. To the best of my knowledge, nothing going on in the area last week.

The students are what they are - I would know, I graduated in 2007. I have been a life long fanatic/lunatic. I tried (successfull and unsuccessfully) to get more kids to the games. A good percentage of cuse students come from filthy rich NE families. They either could care less about sports, or they prefer the NFL. Thats not changing anytime soon.

If they did in fact get 5k students to the wake game, that is VERY IMPRESSIVE... bball prop has never had 5k+ - and the students literally think Cuse is a bball school. Going back 13 years to 1998 never did do it for kids that were there with me from fall03-spring07. Its goign to be that much harder to convince class of '14 or '15.

I would like to know what the student count was when CUSE played Tennessee in 1998. Being in the student section that day it was full 30 minutes before game time and security was dealing with overcrowding of the section. Then again in 98, there may have been a "smaller" allocated student section as the rest of the building was sold-out.

From my time on campus and with home openers against UNC (McNabb's sophomore year post the Clemson Gator bowl beat down), NC State (after destroying Wisconsin in the kickoff classic), Tennessee (two top 15 teams) and Michigan, I find it hard to believe that this year's Wake Forest game is the all-time Dome record for student attendance unless in the years since more tickets have been allocated to students in place of regular fans.

There was a very quiet 42,000 in the house against North Carolina State in 1997 (which really should serve to temper some of the criticism of today's fans; if we can't draw better than 42,000 for the home opener when McNabb is regarded a Heisman candidate, we are ranked #13, we're playing an ACC school, and we just shut out Wisconsin the week before, it shouldn't be a surprise that we don't draw well today.) It was a morgue in there against NCSU, and I felt that contributed to the lazy play of the team.

UNC, Tennessee, and Michigan all failed to sell out, also (though the UNC crowd was very loud and the UT crowd was electric, especially for a nooner). I was at three of those four games, and the student turnout wasn't close to the student turnout for Wake, which was the largest I've ever seen at the Dome.

Anyone that says it is a student problem is on the wrong side. Anyone that says it is a non-student problem is on the wrong side. There are problems with both and have been.

I was able to go to the game this weekend. The student section was indeed pathetic, as was the rest of the sections. I truely beleive the biggest factor in student section turnout is the start time. Students just do not have enough time to roll out of bed, grab breakfast somewhere, sober up enough to start drinking again all before noon. A 3:30 or later start would be perfect for students (and probably locals too). I also think this is why there are some weeknight games. I guarantee this Toledo game was Friday or Saturday night that the student section would be twice as full.

And to those who say "well why don't the students just go to bed early Friday night so they can get up?" Well... college students just don't work that way haha

I'm not down with bashing the students, but to say that students don't have enough time to get to a nooner is not accurate. At nearly every other BCS school in the country, kids have plenty of time to make it into the stadium by noon (in Big Ten country, by 11:00 a.m.). No different at Syracuse. They just don't want to go.

I think that was the student price, I'm pretty sure most of the tickets for that show were sold in the first 10 minutes, I know people who bought them at 10:15 (15 mins after they went on sale) and were upper deck.
That's what I thought, thanks.

To the best of my knowledge, nothing going on in the area last week.

Thankfully, next week is a road game, because there is no way we would draw 25k for Tulane going up against LaFayette's Apple Festival.

We had 5700+ come through the student gate for Wake Forest (some non-students, but probably close to 5000 were students), which is an all-time Dome record.
Didn't they give out free tickets for that game? That's what they need to do for every home game. I'm not sure why SU is worried about making $50k from the students (5k students x $100 season tix). Fill the student section up with your own. It looks better on TV and when you are a non-student attending a game, it makes it a greater atmosphere. Better crowds = better revenues from advertising and corporate sponsors. This isn't rocket science.

The night games should be better attended, I think the student section is fine
Me too. If you want better attendance schedule better teams. Most people just cannot get up for Toledo.

If the corners were tarped it would lower capacity by nearly 6000, making the dome appear more condensed. Doesn’t that solve the problem that most of us have with the dome appearing empty during games? We know we wont get 45-50k, but we can draw 40-42k. I think everyone would agree that those types of attendance numbers would be acceptable if the dome appeared full and near capacity. My suggestion is to tarp off 6-8000 seats. This would also create more of a demand for tickets as you are lowering supply closer to that of the demand. If average attendance and demand rises enough to justify it, just adjust the tarped seating for the following season.

Tarps would be a blow to the ego, but you only see the corners on TV during wide cutaway shots, and if it means less silver on the sidelines, I'm for it.

Maybe in corner or even the opposite end zone, put a giant HD video replay board big enough to be viewed by everyone at basketball games. If attendance improves to max capacity, put it on the outside of the Dome, facing 81, use it as a giant billboard.

Blacknight, i would like to publicly appologize for my rants towards you.We are all on the same team here.Just wish it didn't allways feel like an US vs THEM thing.Keep up the good work man.And yes,go door to door and wake they asses up.

No problem man, it's frustrating for all of us. As Bees said, no one on this board is the problem.

Didn't they give out free tickets for that game? That's what they need to do for every home game. I'm not sure why SU is worried about making $50k from the students (5k students x $100 season tix). Fill the student section up with your own. It looks better on TV and when you are a non-student attending a game, it makes it a greater atmosphere. Better crowds = better revenues from advertising and corporate sponsors. This isn't rocket science.

Tix were free for freshmen.

There was a very quiet 42,000 in the house against North Carolina State in 1997 (which really should serve to temper some of the criticism of today's fans; if we can't draw better than 42,000 for the home opener when McNabb is regarded a Heisman candidate, we are ranked #13, we're playing an ACC school, and we just shut out Wisconsin the week before, it shouldn't be a surprise that we don't draw well today.) It was a morgue in there against NCSU, and I felt that contributed to the lazy play of the team.

UNC, Tennessee, and Michigan all failed to sell out, also (though the UNC crowd was very loud and the UT crowd was electric, especially for a nooner). I was at three of those four games, and the student turnout wasn't close to the student turnout for Wake, which was the largest I've ever seen at the Dome.

Bingo. For some reason people think there was some hey-decade where we drew 50K for every game. I think you can count the # of sell-outs in the Dome over it's entire 31 year existence on two hands. Maybe one foot too.

NC State is a shining example. I've mentioned it before, but Rutgers '98 is another. 42K the week after crushing Michigan at the Big House (and when we were still being talked about as national title contenders despite the Tenn loss). Although I'm fairly certain that UT game was a sell-out.

Bingo. For some reason people think there was some hey-decade where we drew 50K for every game. I think you can count the # of sell-outs in the Dome over it's entire 31 year existence on two hands. Maybe one foot too.

NC State is a shining example. I've mentioned it before, but Rutgers '98 is another. 42K the week after crushing Michigan at the Big House (and when we were still being talked about as national title contenders despite the Tenn loss). Although I'm fairly certain that UT game was a sell-out.

And we put up 70! How many of you would pay $100 right now to see a McNabb team score 70 points? Yet we couldn't even get 45,000 people to see it at the time.

UT was 49,550; I think the Dome's capacity in 1998 was still about 49,900. They lost about 100 seats in the early '90s when they installed the elevator tower near stadium control and they lost about 700 more sometime after 1998.

They lost about 100 seats in the early '90s when they installed the elevator tower near stadium control

??? The elevator by stadium control was there when I arrived on campus in 1987. Catering/Concessions uses it all the time.

The only seating adjustments I recall were eliminating some mezzanine seating for first aid/handicap and when they created the preferred seating section in the corner a few years back.

The student section for all three of those was ridiculous. I know because we were passing back tickets and sneaking friends who bought regular seats. We were all turned to the side with people standing in front of us in the same row, it was crazy. That is the most packed I have ever been, and that includes big games in Ann Arbor.

It's not $100 for both. It's $100 for Football, $235 for the combo. Trust me on this one.

Those aren't excuses, those are explanations. No one on this board is more upset by a shitty student section than I am, since I spend a lot of time working on student section stuff. It's been an absolute struggle trying to solve the issue, so I take it a bit personally when people from the outside just yell about how bad it is without adding anything of substance.

And have you noticed what games are the worst for the student section? It's the same games where none of the regular fans show up either. The students run in the same pattern as the fanbase as a whole. It's not a "student section" problem in particular, it is a greater Syracuse fan base problem.

I'm a recent grad ('11) and part of the struggle was the constant teasing of the football team. I worked as a Resident Advisor for a few years and at almost every tour or some random orientation event, administrative staff/faculty/ or upper classmen would always hype up the basketball team and make jokes about the football team. This has been going on for the past few years (and rightfully so, thinking back to GRob) but this sort of negative PR on campus has to change if we want a more active student section.

I'm a recent grad ('11) and part of the struggle was the constant teasing of the football team. I worked as a Resident Advisor for a few years and at almost every tour or some random orientation event, administrative staff/faculty/ or upper classmen would always hype up the basketball team and make jokes about the football team. This has been going on for the past few years (and rightfully so, thinking back to GRob) but this sort of negative PR on campus has to change if we want a more active student section.

I completely agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom