Tired of Student excuses!...DID YOU KNOW... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Tired of Student excuses!...DID YOU KNOW...

And we put up 70! How many of you would pay $100 right now to see a McNabb team score 70 points? Yet we couldn't even get 45,000 people to see it at the time.

UT was 49,550; I think the Dome's capacity in 1998 was still about 49,900. They lost about 100 seats in the early '90s when they installed the elevator tower near stadium control and they lost about 700 more sometime after 1998.

I'm pretty sure that capacity was 49,500 back in '98. I mean there were like 7,000 Volunteer fans there that day, so I'm fairly certain it was a sell out, because those 'Rocky-Top'-singing,-Tee-Martin-loving lunatics would have bought every last remaining ticket if SU fans didn't.

??? The elevator by stadium control was there when I arrived on campus in 1987. Catering/Concessions uses it all the time.

The only seating adjustments I recall were eliminating some mezzanine seating for first aid/handicap and when they created the preferred seating section in the corner a few years back.

I'm not sure of the year; I just know that the tower isn't original and they lost about 100 seats in the last rows of 304 or 305 when they built it. They lost a couple rows of student seating during a shuffle of handicapped seating some years later; all in all, they lost 800 seats from the original 1980 capacity.

I'm pretty sure that capacity was 49,500 back in '98. I mean there were like 7,000 Volunteer fans there that day, so I'm fairly certain it was a sell out, because those 'Rocky-Top'-singing,-Tee-Martin-loving lunatics would have bought every last remaining ticket if SU fans didn't.

Could've been, though it does stick in my head that we were a couple hundred short of capacity. I could be wrong; I imagine one of our more clever Googlers could find out.

They did travel well; almost the whole west endzone was creamsicle orange that day.

Bingo. For some reason people think there was some hey-decade where we drew 50K for every game. I think you can count the # of sell-outs in the Dome over it's entire 31 year existence on two hands. Maybe one foot too.

NC State is a shining example. I've mentioned it before, but Rutgers '98 is another. 42K the week after crushing Michigan at the Big House (and when we were still being talked about as national title contenders despite the Tenn loss). Although I'm fairly certain that UT game was a sell-out.

1992. It can be done.

We should avg 45k every single year with absolute ease.

1992. It can be done.

We should avg 45k every single year with absolute ease.

Off the top of my head, we were preseason top 10 in 1992 with both Ohio State and Miami on the home schedule.

So yeah, if we get back to that level of success with those opponents then sure, 47K/game, no sweat.

It wasn't talked about much here (that I can recall), but in one of the articles on the preseason PS blitz day that was about attendance, Marrone said there was only 1 sell out in the history of the Dome. At the time I didn't believe that. He didn't mention which game.

I had always thought our last sellout was Michigan 99, but I guess not? Notre Dame would have been in 2003, but SU botched that one like only SU can. "We don't want ND fans buying season tickets!". Really? Wish they would now, we could use the cash.

I also thought UT was a sellout for the reason you say, they asked for 10,000 and we gave them the most we could. I also thought Miami 98 was a sellout. If some of those games weren't sellout, I'm dying to know where the extra seats were because looking around the Dome, you couldn't see them. Today it's blinding.

Off the top of my head, we were preseason top 10 in 1992 with both Ohio State and Miami on the home schedule.

So yeah, if we get back to that level of success with those opponents then sure, 47K/game, no sweat.

We got over 48,500 for EVERY SINGLE game, hence the post. Avg'd ~49,500

It wasn't talked about much here (that I can recall), but in one of the articles on the preseason PS blitz day that was about attendance, Marrone said there was only 1 sell out in the history of the Dome. At the time I didn't believe that. He didn't mention which game.

I had always thought our last sellout was Michigan 99, but I guess not? Notre Dame would have been in 2003, but SU botched that one like only SU can. "We don't want ND fans buying season tickets!". Really? Wish they would now, we could use the cash.

I also thought UT was a sellout for the reason you say, they asked for 10,000 and we gave them the most we could. I also thought Miami 98 was a sellout. If some of those games weren't sellout, I'm dying to know where the extra seats were because looking around the Dome, you couldn't see them. Today it's blinding.

Yeah not sure I buy that either.

It's before my time, but the game in '87 against WVU wasn't a sellout?

I gotta find a site that has our historical attendance figures. I bet there were 5-6 sellouts in the 90s.

I gotta find a site that has our historical attendance figures. I bet there were 5-6 sellouts in the 90s.

Agree with this -- I'm not sure who started this "never a sell-out in the Dome" thing but I don't buy it. I've been in that place many a time where it was seemingly packed to the gills

For what it's worth, here's the article. Was surprised that even Bud didn't question it. Maybe he was too busy selecting that awesome accompanying picture. But then again, Bud mentions how we haven't been able to get 50k in 25 years. Ummm, capacity has been under 50,000 for quite some time, he didn't know this?

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2011/08/poliquin_its_time_for_syracuse.html

For what it's worth, here's the article. Was surprised that even Bud didn't question it. Maybe he was too busy selecting that awesome accompanying picture. But then again, Bud mentions how we haven't been able to get 50k in 25 years. Ummm, capacity has been under 50,000 for quite some time, he didn't know this?

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2011/08/poliquin_its_time_for_syracuse.html

Yeah, that article sucked in terms of actually using facts. Capacity was under 50K from the day I set foot on campus in 1991.

OK, boss. What part of my of my post disagreed with math.

I guess I read your post wrong boss. My apologies.

My point being, we shouldn't have to be top 10 to get 47k a game. Sellouts in this tiny of a stadium should be regular.

I guess I read your post wrong boss. My apologies.

My point being, we shouldn't have to be top 10 to get 47k a game. Sellouts in this tiny of a stadium should be regular.

Well, I'd love to live in that world too. But it's fantasy land. CNY doesn't care much for college football. 'Tis a shame. SWC has long been right, we kinda get the program we deserve.

Well, I'd love to live in that world too. But it's fantasy land. CNY doesn't care much for college football. 'Tis a shame. SWC has long been right, we kinda get the program we deserve.

The truth. Unfortunately, "we" don't deserve it... The city as a whole does. But not the idiots like you and I arguing on this board.

WVU was not a sellout that season. It was 49K something but the Dome held 50k back then I think. Only the PSU game hit 50K.

WVU was not a sellout that season. It was 49K something but the Dome held 50k back then I think. Only the PSU game hit 50K.

Did the capacity of the Dome get cut Rick? When did that happen? Damn. You miss a lot of little stuff living 600 miles away.

Did the capacity of the Dome get cut Rick? When did that happen? Damn. You miss a lot of little stuff living 600 miles away.

At some point they cut seating capacity due to fire codes I think. Don't remember if they removed seating or just did away with SRO. After that, there have been minor reductions I think due to implementing more handicap seating.

BTW, we've had 5-6 games that broke 50K. All vs. PSU except for the Dome opener vs. Miami (OH) which stands as the largest SU home crowd with 50,500 or so. All of the 50K crowds took place pre-1989 which is when I think they reduced capacity to 49,750 or something like that.

I know we had fewer for Miami in 1998 than we had for Tennessee (and fewer still for Michigan the next year).

But we definitely had over 50,000 for Florida in 1991, along with Penn State in 1987 and Miami of Ohio in 1980. So that's at least three sellouts, no?

The Sub-Standard earned that name in part for its lack of specificity in articles. It is disappointing that some of these hard numbers are so hard to find. With some of these websites like ballparks.com detailing the 27 different changes in the distance of the right-field wall at Ebbetts Field, one would think suathletics.com could manage to prepare 500 words on Dome renovations over the years, capacity changes, top football crowds, etc.

I know we had fewer for Miami in 1998 than we had for Tennessee (and fewer still for Michigan the next year).

But we definitely had over 50,000 for Florida in 1991, along with Penn State in 1987 and Miami of Ohio in 1980. So that's at least three sellouts, no?

The Sub-Standard earned that name in part for its lack of specificity in articles. It is disappointing that some of these hard numbers are so hard to find. With some of these websites like ballparks.com detailing the 27 different changes in the distance of the right-field wall at Ebbetts Field, one would think suathletics.com could manage to prepare 500 words on Dome renovations over the years, capacity changes, top football crowds, etc.

Didn't hit 50k for Florida. Only PSU games and Miami, OH hit 50k.

I was just watching the game on Time Warner's Time Capsules the other day; Dave Cohen told us 50,200 and change. They don't often get that incorrect.

According to the media guide

1. Miami Ohio Dome Opener 1980 50,564
2. Navy 1980 50, 350
3. Pitt 1980 50,243
4. PSU 1981 50,037
5. PSU 1985 50,021
6. PSU 1987 50,011
7. PSU 1983 50,010
8. BC 1987 49,892
9. PSU 1989 49.876
10. WV 1987 49,866

I was just watching the game on Time Warner's Time Capsules the other day; Dave Cohen told us 50,200 and change. They don't often get that incorrect.

Cohen must have guessed or misspoke. The official attendance was 49 something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom