Tiring schedule | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tiring schedule

Va Tech had a varsity, too. In their last year as a varsity we beat them 27-0. All the ACC schools have club teams in one of the club leagues. The ones in the MCLA are pretty good with Ga Tech making a couple of their Final Fours. It will be difficult for BC and Va Tech to start men's teams because they use their women's teams for Title IX purposes. The stories I've heard are:

FSU has a Sugar Daddy who will fund both lacrosse teams if they can get their Title IX numbers to work.

BC had a terrible AD who constantly said, "I'll start a {pick a sport they don't have} team when Florida State starts a hockey team." He's retired. (He's also the guy who fired Jeff Jagodzinski and Al Skinner.) IIRC, the guy who replaced him was all but fired. The newest guy is trying to get their financial house in order.

There were rumors last year that Pitt was going to start teams. Nothing has developed since the rumors.

For the two Techs and NCSU, it's about money. As STEM schools, they have decent Title IX numbers, but Va Tech is already using its women's team for its Title IX count.
Thanks Hoo's That for the insight. I started thinking about this when I stumbled upon a Georgia Tech game on LSN and was surprised that they had a club team.

The only hope I have of another ACC team adding D1 mens's lax is the additional money coming from the ACCN. And even then...

The only hope I have of another ACC team adding D1 mens's lax is the additional money coming from the ACCN. And even then...

Outbid the B1G for Hopkins.

do you have to have scholies to have a div 1 school are the schools that dont do it grand fathered in?

I couldn't agree more and as you know I have been beating this drum for months but I don't think most posters (not saying you) understood how daunting this would be until we actually got into teh schedule and now that were in it and Gate and Hobart are better then we thought it really is a murders row from start to finish. I have tried to get the local media guys who go to the press conferences to ask about the schedule and if the team will lighten up on it next year but so far no one has asked Dekso that I can see. Hopefully Kramer or someone else reads the board and can ask Desko.

As Powellfan noted in this thread and I did in the beginning of the season Desko's obsession with RPI (after SU got screwed a few years ago) seems to be playing a big role here. I certainly understand it and the idiotic change to the ACC schedule forced our hand on Bingo but SU should have looked at easing up on the schedule. First off they should have talked with Navy and Rutty and moved one of the two games to next year. Second Bingo should have been added as a mid week game in the later part of the schedule on a Wed night. We did this a few years ago without any sort of issue. Third we should have picked up a Siena, Canisius, St. Bonnies or someone else as the replacement for either Navy or Rutty. This would have given us a 13 game schedule instead of 12 and featured 2 for sure cupcake wins in Bingo and say Bonaventure which gives SU a breather for two games and allows us to get some PT for some of the young guys buried on the Depth Chart.

I don't have any issue playing an arduous schedule, Cornell, Albany, Hopkins, Duke all play tought schedules but they are also balanced out with some near lock wins, SU has zero of those games save for what appeared to be Gate on paper and we know how that turned out.

Hard to get it just right , somewhat a Goldilocks and Three bears porridge story. .A prevailing complaint last year was that Desko was playing too many mids and different combos which hindered coordination and production. He's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't . We have numbers but so does most major d1's , all tend to limit usage until depth is deemed ready to contribute without a significant drop-off . Injuries to some experienced hands (Quinn, McKinney, OSullivan) has slimmed present options while some talented youngsters are still adjusting to pace of college game. Ability to play fast can be advanced by depth but only if that depth is ready to play fast. Some talents can't. Cuse will eventually need to give more minutes to our 5-6th mids as the season extends to maintain fresh legs. Carlin in place with Buttermore/Lipka and Quinn shortly returns, wont require a third line though a frosh mid emerging to challenge for serious pt would be good.

do you have to have scholies to have a div 1 school are the schools that dont do it grand fathered in?
The schollie numbers in each sport are upper limits. You don't have to give any. You'll be putting yourself at a great disadvantage, but you don't have to give any.

thats why i asked. because what is top stop a state school creating a sport with no scholie.. that would lower the cost dramitically to fund it and title X goes down.

thats why i asked. because what is top stop a state school creating a sport with no scholie.. that would lower the cost dramitically to fund it and title X goes down.
Title IX compliance is not based solely on the number of scholarships, otherwise every school in D-3 would be compliant since they don't give grants-in-aid. It's the number of athletic slots/opportunities/whatever they call counting the total number of players this week. Here's a good one. The male players that all the women's b-ball teams practice against are counted as female athletes. When UVa started its squash teams (courtesy of a Sugar Daddy's donation), it had to have an equal number of roster spots for men and women in order to maintain compliance with pre-startup Title IX position. IDK what the Squash Association set the number of schollies at for men and women, but I would assume it's roughly equal.

Why would state school A start a sport when they know the team won't have a chance to be as competitive as its peers because School A won't give scholarships and all their peers will? If anything, when starting a women's team in a sport you don't already have, you'd want to give schollies in order to improve your Title IX numbers.

well the ivies dont give scholies and compete in lax just fine.. I think Duke could do just as well.

schools dont want to commit the money because it has to be equal and creating a mens sport means creating a womans sport too most of the time.. but if you created them with no scholies you then have much less cost to cover.

well the ivies dont give scholies
You don't really believe this do you? They most certainly give schollies, they just aren't called athletic scholarships. They can call it whatever they like, but to me, if you're getting a college education, and you don't have to pay for it, it's a scholarship. And if that aid is only available to members of an athletic team and it goes away if you leave the team, well then, that's an athletic scholarship.

i think i know how it all works at an ivy.. its much easier to get a kid into SU than into most of the ivies and there are a huge number of kids playiny Ivy sports getting ZERO dollars in aid.

why do you think Cornells second best bball player left school this year.

Last edited:
Cheer against SU women’s basketball if they get a high enough seed that they host the first round SU men’s lax will have to play Duke at CNS

well the ivies dont give scholies and compete in lax just fine.. I think Duke could do just as well.

schools dont want to commit the money because it has to be equal and creating a mens sport means creating a womans sport too most of the time.. but if you created them with no scholies you then have much less cost to cover.
You're ignoring the Title IX implications. Title IX counts participants whether they get a scholarship or not. You can get some credit if you offer a big slate of women's sports and give the max number of scholarships for those sports. Football is a minimum hole of 65 scholarships for the D-1AA schools and 85 scholarships for the D-1A schools and most schools are majority female. The roster for a D-1A football team can easily be over 100 players when the walk-ons are added in. That means most D-1A schools have to come up with over 100 participation slots for women because the schools are majority female.

Really wish Cuse had a break in schedule, would have been helpful to play a #50 squad this week . Noticed our 4 lead mids primarily used in JHU game which must be tiring .Dearth, Helnmer and Kennedy likely sprinted several miles as well. Hard to play your best when tired, know Hopkins game was important to go above .500 but Rutgers contest will be as well to stay above that mark before facing a powerful Duke.

The wear and tear of one tough game after another will eventually accumulate to detriment of performance so have to guard against that and tap into depth soon.. Need mids Carlin and Magnan to start providing quality minutes , certainly capable but perhaps staff might also consider running Seebold there some . Good quality at lsm can be juggled. Also will eventually need Barlow and Smart to play increased minutes at some point if Murphy is out for any extended time, both are capable of delivering solid performances. Dearth and Helmer been great but they will also need the occasional blow. Attack and CD also need reliable fourth to rotate to help. . Having two good fogos is big plus in so many ways.

Returning to original point, a game this weekend vs a Bingy, Sienna, would likely afford a good chance for some to rest and our next layer of talent to be used heavily which advances both development and spirit. Also would help maintain mental freshness and focus. Hard not to look forward to Duke. Simply can't with top fifteen Rutgers who beat us solid last year . Easier said than done.. Shame there is no time to appreciate a needed victory as gotta jump right back into preparing for next top twenty opponent.
Trust that staff and trainers are doing their best to keep players fresh. One saving grace so far is string of home games tr but that ends soon enough .Being forced out of Dome for Duke game would be a bummer for both teams as well as fans.

I realize your break is mostly referencing the quality of opponent, but do you think our players would only give 50% if they were to play a lower level opponent, or are they giving close to 100% every game, regardless of competition?

Secondly, they get 1 WEEK off between games. You make it sound like SU is playing back-to-back nights like the ACC basketball tourny, and the kids are winded from the night before. How much more of a break would you like?

Fair enough questions, emotional aspect of sports need to be considered as much as physical. . Difficult to be up for each and every game week after week when opponent is strong. Firstoff, lacrosse is closer to football than basketball and both those programs play some lesser opponents. Much of what I will say applies to them.

Cannot put a percentage on it but doubt lax starters would maintain fully intensity playing a lesser opponent, the term " breather" means they could exhale which is refreshing in and of itself. .Subs would likely play with more intensity given opportunity to play.

Almost every player is dealing with nicks and bruises, most minor but aggravating , playing a lesser opponent not only means getting more rest during game but also ability to sit out practices and heal. Once a week goes by quickly and physical issues that linger dont lend themselves to maximizing. Many could benefit from a shorter spell on the field or not going full tilt on every play, some could use a week off. The occasional breather also affords some mental catch ups, whether that be schoolwork which lax players tend to do or attending a social gathering.

Throwing in two softies would have been beneficial

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom