TL draft status | Syracusefan.com

TL draft status

His stock is probably plummeting, as his shot has struggled and he is getting exposed as someone who isn't yet able to do anything off the bounce. He's been billed as a stretch 4 but hasn't like one. He has been rebounding better, so that's encouraging for him.

Watching that Vandy game last night, does Lydon at 6'9" have more upside and NBA skill than the 7'1" Luke Kornet? Kornet is a 36% 3 pt shooter and holds the record for most 3's by a 7 footer. Does the 4 inches and 30-40 lbs make him more appealing? He's only 9 months older, even as a senior.

Bleacher Report isn't what it used it to be. It's actually reputable now. The guy that put together the mock draft was one of NBADraft.net's main contributors (also a Syracuse grad).

I'd still lean on DraftExpress though.

Hmm good to know. Thanks :)

I watch a lot of NBA and my personal opinion is Lydon should have left after last year. Not because he was good enough it's because I don't believe his stock will ever be higher. I believe he should stay all 4 years (I think he's gone this year) because I think NBA teams may shy away from him. What position is he in the NBA? Who will he guard? If he is a 3 good luck guarding other NBA 3's and if he is a 4 he will be able to stretch the floor but not be able to guard 4's in the NBA.

As it stands now I'd say he CAN be a 12-18 minutes guy and be a solid 7th or 8th option on a roster. It is soooooooo hard to make it in the NBA even with potential.

All that said - I say he goes this year to pick number 23-26. Tough to pass up NBA money (even if that is shortsighted)

So there will be 200 of these threads between now and June? I'm not sure the NBA even makes a dollar these days considering how stupid they are to draft players who may not be the greatest thing since Wilt Chamberlain.

I know he put on weight this past offseason, but does anyone know how hard he worked in the weight room? Because I think he could take a step up if he can get his body right. If he is the kind of guy that just doesn't get muscular, then he is what he is. But, if he can come back next year better defined, I think his athleticism will improve and his rebounding and movement will all improve.

Bleacher Report isn't what it used it to be. It's actually reputable now. The guy that put together the mock draft was one of NBADraft.net's main contributors (also a Syracuse grad).

BR and NBA Draft.Net coming together. That would be like Rutgers and South Florida coming together for an East Coast Alliance to take on legitimate schools. And still failing miserably.

Yes, in fact one of Brent Axe's guests yesterday to talk Tourney was Reid Forgraves, who recently left FoxSports to go to Bleacher Report. (Btw, in case you missed it, Reid really likes the way SU has finally started to gel with all the newcomers and thinks they could potentially make a Final Four run again).

On Lydon, I am happy to see this is happening now (still nice and early before the May decisions need to be made). We all know he needs another year (Bilas even said it on the air about a month ago) but I sure didn't want Tyler to see himself high on a lot of these mocks and just make a stupid decision. Hopefully the other mocks will follow suit. And besides the "is he ready factor", one more year could obviously mean a lot more $$ for him if he is a lottery pick in the '18 draft.

Lydon needs to stay and bulk up to even have a shot at playing in the NBA. If the kid is smart and I think he is because he passed up The draft last season, he will stay at the CUSE. If he really bulks up and puts some serious work in over the summer not only will he be able to lead us next year he could become a lottery pick and get that $$$$$

I think the evaluation could be key for Lydon. I think he has not been 100% most of the year. I think if healthy he could help himself in the evaluation period. Under the new rules you can go to a combine no?

I love how if a player starts shooting up the mocks, the mocks are wrong and misguiding and the player shouldn't pay attention and just come back one more year to improve their stock, and if a player sinks on the mocks that's accurate and the player should be smart and come back and improve their stock.

I love how if a player starts shooting up the mocks, the mocks are wrong and misguiding and the player shouldn't pay attention and just come back one more year to improve their stock, and if a player sinks on the mocks that's accurate and the player should be smart and come back and improve their stock.

It's pretty much the natural human reaction, but I do agree with your post!

His stock is probably plummeting, as his shot has struggled and he is getting exposed as someone who isn't yet able to do anything off the bounce. He's been billed as a stretch 4 but hasn't like one. He has been rebounding better, so that's encouraging for him.

Watching that Vandy game last night, does Lydon at 6'9" have more upside and NBA skill than the 7'1" Luke Kornet? Kornet is a 36% 3 pt shooter and holds the record for most 3's by a 7 footer. Does the 4 inches and 30-40 lbs make him more appealing? He's only 9 months older, even as a senior.

This is why most guys jump after year 1 whenever they can^^^^^

I know he put on weight this past offseason, but does anyone know how hard he worked in the weight room? Because I think he could take a step up if he can get his body right. If he is the kind of guy that just doesn't get muscular, then he is what he is. But, if he can come back next year better defined, I think his athleticism will improve and his rebounding and movement will all improve.

He needs to stay away from Hicks

One factor that will add weight to the leaving side of the discussion is that Syracuse appears to have no point guard for next year. That situation, if not resolved by the time of the draft, could be a factor. Could be a factor for any other players on our team who could be considered borderline as well. Battle is coming into his own and will likely have some kind of very positive performance in the ACC Tournament or NCAA Tournament (if we make it). That would be enough for him to declare for evaluation and you absolutely know his measurables will be amazing. He is on a very Malachi Richardson trajectory right now.

He'll deliver us another national title then ride off into the sunset.

I watch a lot of NBA and my personal opinion is Lydon should have left after last year. Not because he was good enough it's because I don't believe his stock will ever be higher. I believe he should stay all 4 years (I think he's gone this year) because I think NBA teams may shy away from him. What position is he in the NBA? Who will he guard? If he is a 3 good luck guarding other NBA 3's and if he is a 4 he will be able to stretch the floor but not be able to guard 4's in the NBA.

As it stands now I'd say he CAN be a 12-18 minutes guy and be a solid 7th or 8th option on a roster. It is soooooooo hard to make it in the NBA even with potential.

All that said - I say he goes this year to pick number 23-26. Tough to pass up NBA money (even if that is shortsighted)
The way the system is set up right now, every player should declare for the NBA Draft after his freshman season. And if the feedback of a first-round guarantee isn't promising and he wants a college education and enjoys college basketball then he should return and plan to stay for his degree.

NBA teams have bought into the notion that if a player has spent more than one year playing college basketball then he's damaged goods. As a result, the average earning potential for a NBA prospect is never higher than after his freshman season. Until the NCAA is either discarded or comes to its senses and makes major changes, players should Adios.

NBA teams have bought into the notion that if a player has spent more than one year playing college basketball then he's damaged goods.
Hmm, that's not quite it. It's more that they'll be more forgiving of weaknesses in a player that's just completed their first season against a step up in competition.

So it's not damaged goods. It's the longer you play at a level, the more the NBA demands refinement.

So it's not damaged goods. It's the longer you play at a level, the more the NBA demands refinement.
Also a little of the unknown potential is lost and there is a whole new shiny crop of youngsters with endless potential competing for a slot.

A person can get a college education at any age, but can only play for the NBA, and get paid life changing money, during a very narrow window.

We all know he needs another year (Bilas even said it on the air about a month ago) but I sure didn't want Tyler to see himself high on a lot of these mocks and just make a stupid decision.

I generally dislike discussions about future teams while the season is ongoing and in this case the Orange are fighting to get into the tournament.
But...

I only know what I see.
As much as I like Tyler Lydon and want him to succeed, it seems he has two issues with the NBA.

1. He does have to get stronger
2. It seems he doesn't quite have NBA-level quickness.

If he is a projected first rounder he can take the money and run and likely follow the Greene, Ennis, McCullough route to the D-League or overseas.
Or he can come back and work on his strength and skills and become a better player.

That's the choice a lot of guys face: Money versus better skills and better chance of a long term career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom