TL draft status | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

TL draft status

He'll declare and get evaluated. If he's still a 2nd rounder, he'll stay. If he's projected late 1st round, he'll go. No need for him to make a decision anytime soon.

I would say that he'll be projected as a second rounder in this draft. It's figuring to be pretty loaded.

Let's hope that's the case, and Lydon figures out a way to get in the gym and add some muscle to his upper body.

His stock is probably plummeting, as his shot has struggled and he is getting exposed as someone who isn't yet able to do anything off the bounce. He's been billed as a stretch 4 but hasn't like one. He has been rebounding better, so that's encouraging for him.

Watching that Vandy game last night, does Lydon at 6'9" have more upside and NBA skill than the 7'1" Luke Kornet? Kornet is a 36% 3 pt shooter and holds the record for most 3's by a 7 footer. Does the 4 inches and 30-40 lbs make him more appealing? He's only 9 months older, even as a senior.
I think you answered your own question. As a version of the old saw goes, You can't teach 7' 1".

I would say that he'll be projected as a second rounder in this draft. It's figuring to be pretty loaded.

Let's hope that's the case, and Lydon figures out a way to get in the gym and add some muscle to his upper body.

I agree with the upper body, but I would also add the lower body. AKA his entire body needs lean muscle added to it.

The one thing this board has taught me over the years is that we have a lot of unemployed NBA scouts.
I'd wager that they're unemployed scouts because they have no idea how the NBA draft works, what teams are really looking for in a prospect, and that, generally, most draftees fail in the NBA. Staying in college longer than necessary doesn't make a tweener NBA player a starter or a star.

The one thing this board has taught me over the years is that we have a lot of unemployed NBA scouts.

I don't think this board has taught me anything.

I would like to see TL come back and play for the Orange next year. Whether he gets drafted this year will hinge on us getting into the tournament and having a deep tournament run. So he may be gone this year. This is a dumb question because there's still a lot things that can happen that will determine if he leaves.

Scouts will be watching how he plays against Lammers this weekend. Last time around he looked pretty weak against him (shy of the rebounds but awful on offense) and that would only be made worse against even better NBA talent.

I'd wager that they're unemployed scouts because they have no idea how the NBA draft works, what teams are really looking for in a prospect, and that, generally, most draftees fail in the NBA. Staying in college longer than necessary doesn't make a tweener NBA player a starter or a star.

You seem to be an expert on the NBA. How does the NBA draft work? What are they really looking for? And what makes a tweener NBA player a start or a star?

Are you suggesting staying in college will hurt TL's chances to get into the NBA. It's HIS decision to make. If he wants to stay in college it's not up to you!

Unemployed NBA Scouts, NCAA Men's Basketball coaches, and College Basketball Analysts

You seem to be an expert on the NBA. How does the NBA draft work? What are they really looking for? And what makes a tweener NBA player a start or a star?

Are you suggesting staying in college will hurt TL's chances to get into the NBA. It's HIS decision to make. If he wants to stay in college it's not up to you!
Read the archives. This thread happens every year. A certain portion of the fanbase seems to think that SU players all need to stay one more year in order to be amazing pros and not out of the league in three years. Most draftees are out of the league in the three seasons and it has nothing to do with playing for free in college for an additional year.

Read the archives. This thread happens every year. A certain portion of the fanbase seems to think that SU players all need to stay one more year in order to be amazing pros and not out of the league in three years. Most draftees are out of the league in the three seasons and it has nothing to do with playing for free in college for an additional year.

I have no idea what determines how successful a player's career will be in the NBA. I guess the real measure would take into account a wide number of factors to determine which choices maximize someones earning potential in a 20 or 30 year period. So if a player decides to stay in college it might turn out from the analytical analysis not to matter that much. I think if a player wants to stay in college we should not be critical of his decision.

One factor that will add weight to the leaving side of the discussion is that Syracuse appears to have no point guard for next year. That situation, if not resolved by the time of the draft, could be a factor. Could be a factor for any other players on our team who could be considered borderline as well. Battle is coming into his own and will likely have some kind of very positive performance in the ACC Tournament or NCAA Tournament (if we make it). That would be enough for him to declare for evaluation and you absolutely know his measurables will be amazing. He is on a very Malachi Richardson trajectory right now.

I actually think this could make staying more enticing to Battle, who in his recruitment seemed to have interest in playing the point. If he thinks there's a chance it's him and Howard as the top two options, he'd probably think he had a chance to beat him out. I agree he's on a Malachi trajectory at the moment, though, and I think he's likely gone if he sees his name in the first round.

It certainly makes leaving a better option for Lydon, though. That said, those two could do a lot of damage together with a halfway decent pass-first point guard.

Imagine how nuts we're all going to go if we lose on the first weekend and see Lydon AND Battle go, and are staring down a team that could easily lose more games than it wins. Yikes.

Lydon is not coming back next year. I feel like this has been understood for a long time but apparently not. Boeheim even said it would be his last year around Thanksgiving. If you want to set yourself up for the disappointment and then come back right after he declares to state he will never make it in the league that is your choice. I will not participate is that nonsense. I will be too busy debating when Hopkins will take over and our succession plan.

I know he put on weight this past offseason, but does anyone know how hard he worked in the weight room? Because I think he could take a step up if he can get his body right. If he is the kind of guy that just doesn't get muscular, then he is what he is. But, if he can come back next year better defined, I think his athleticism will improve and his rebounding and movement will all improve.

I have heard a few commentators this year say he could use 15-20#. I dont see it. He is slow at this current playing weight. Not sure what his position would be in tbe nba. Pros aside, look at his comparisons at his height. Tbe whisky kid, the zona bigs. And bigs in college i mean 6'9" and up. Those are just a few examples and these kids' game blows his away. Hope he comes back.

One factor that will add weight to the leaving side of the discussion is that Syracuse appears to have no point guard for next year. That situation, if not resolved by the time of the draft, could be a factor. Could be a factor for any other players on our team who could be considered borderline as well. Battle is coming into his own and will likely have some kind of very positive performance in the ACC Tournament or NCAA Tournament (if we make it). That would be enough for him to declare for evaluation and you absolutely know his measurables will be amazing. He is on a very Malachi Richardson trajectory right now.
One point that will add to the staying for next year is that this is considered a very deep draft.

Good thing is that he can put his name into draft and be evaluated by those who matter (those workouts carry the most stock with teams/gm's). If he doesn't get the feedback that he wants to hear, than I'm sure he will be back. If he gets great feedback, than why not stay in the draft. He can always earn his college degree later.

does anyone know if the NBA is his goal? maybe he loves college but not the NBA grind that would be to come?

does anyone know if the NBA is his goal? maybe he loves college but not the NBA grind that would be to come?

I'd find it hard to believe that somebody would work so hard to get to a high D1 level that doesn't have the NBA as their goal. It's like somebody going through law school then deciding they wanted to be a painter.

He's going to destroy the shooting workouts at the combine. That's what scares me.

He'll declare and get evaluated. If he's still a 2nd rounder, he'll stay. If he's projected late 1st round, he'll go. No need for him to make a decision anytime soon.
That sums it up. Can't put too much stock in these mocks right now. His showing at the combine and the feedback he receives will tell him what he should do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom