To be fair to JGIII... We should talk about Buddy... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

To be fair to JGIII... We should talk about Buddy...

to be honest I was a horrible basketball player as a kid. I was athletic as I was a runner but just plain bad as a basketball player. Of course my friends would want to play basketball all the time throughout junior high and high school. My main game was just hanging out at the 3 point line and jacking way more 3s than I should have been allowed.

when I watch Buddy it seriously reminds me of how 1 Dimensional he is. I mean anyone can just hang out and jack 3s. The problem is yes he’s a great person from what I hear but he definitely gets special treatment and protection even on this forum. how can that not breed resentment from other players who clearly should be getting more playing time than Buddy?

Honestly how dare you come in here and make this long winded post about a legendary shooter from NYS and also the son of the storied head coach of our beloved school and 100% nail it & back everything up with stats.

I mean really who do you think you are?

Also... one way for us to beat Kadary's guy giving him space is to get in transition.
Agreed. On the positive side, this is one of the best SU teams I've seen in awhile at initiating the fastbreak. These guys are pretty good at getting the ball off the boards (when they do rebound) at heading up court. It looks like a strength to me. We just need to get a lot better at running some type of fastbreak offense once we get over halfcourt or at least run a structured fast break. Kadary or Marek should have the ball in their hands on the break and attack all the way to the rim.

What ticks me off is we don’t have a single 2021 recruit who plays guard.
None of our guards are going to get challenged by anyone coming in next year.
I really hope our staff pursues a transfer guard but what type of transfer is coming here when they won’t get PT.
Atleast freshman recruits could see PT in the future.

Girard and Buddy only have Kadary on the bench.
This season has been frustrating and guess what next season we don’t have any depth coming in.

He is sort of immune because he is making 38% of them.
Yep, it's true.

The dude takes terrible shots, but overall he's made a surprising amount.

I've been very hard on JGIII, fairly I believe.

But I want to just point out something to be fair to him, because I don't think it's really a Kadary v JGIII thing anymore, I think it's clear Kadary should start at PG. JGIII should spell Buddy and those two should probably even out in time.

JB said we are a shooting team. I've said we are a team that shoots. After last night we are:
178th in FG%
221st in 3PT%

That's terrible.

Back to JGIII and Buddy.

Again, I've been hard on JGIII, here are his stats:
31.1 MPG (but had been trending down)
31% FG, 32% 3PT (he is UNDER 30% for 2 PT FGs which is crazy)
11.0 PER (dead last out of the seven guys that mostly play)
42% eFG
46% TS (remember, this takes into account FTs)
10.9 FGA/game (third on team)

Those are all bad for someone +30 MPG. We've established this between stats and eye test. He is either last or second to last in those percentages for the seven guys that play (so counting Woody, not counting Bras, but maybe that changes going forward).

However, my contention is not only should Kadary start, but JGIII should recoup some of his lost minutes to Buddy playing off ball. Why you say? Well, Buddy has been pretty awful this year. You can make the case he's been worse than JGIII, or at least hasn't had his playing time impacted as much.

Buddy:
34.0 MPG (2nd on team)
33% FG, 24% 3PT
11.6 PER (second to last... note, the player above Buddy here out of the seven that I'm counting is Marek at 19.5. There is an Atlantic Ocean sized span between Buddy/Joe and the rest of the guys in PER)
39% eFG
42% TS
15.6 FGA/game (First on team, 2.6 more than Alan "Dion Waiters confidence" Griffin and almost a full SEVEN more FGA/game than Quincy who is shooting 66% from the field)

Should Kadary start over JGIII? Yes. Should JGIII never play? No. He should get some of Buddy's minutes because Buddy is having one of the most inefficient and, to put it bluntly, terrible years to date.

Those numbers for Buddy are awful. Anyone else we would be questioning if he should be playing... at all.

Again, I like Buddy. I think he would better served with Kadary at PG and playing fewer minutes. Our offense should probably be Kadary with the keys and running it through Q and Marek, going inside out, rather than being a shooting team.

Terrific post!

This is very well done - accurate, fair and the Dion confidence line is great. Buddy and Joe and Kadary should be playing equal minutes with per game minutes based on performance for that particular game. We all know that is not going to happen. Buddy is playing 35 and taking his shots no matter what. Also people will be defending both as good shooters Saturday after we drub a hapless Hoya squad. You are right regarding our shooters, we have the will, but sadly most of the time there is no way they are going in.
SYR will struggle vs. GTown. They will manhandle us on the boards. In their wins, SYR has struggled vs.powerful Bryant, magnificent Northeastern and almighty Buffalo. To think SYR will handle anyone easily is absurd.

And Griffin may take worse shots than anyone I have seen. He is not immune here because he made his first few.
That turnaround jumper from the corner is one of the worst shots in history, but Joe’s overall body of work is worse.

That turnaround jumper from the corner is one of the worst shots in history, but Joe’s overall body of work is worse.

Yeah, I’m not trying to say Griffin is Steph Curry here. But he is shooting at a better clip.

With that said, I feel like there may be a point where Griffin would take a 35 foot shot as a heat check if he felt he was in the zone. He gets to be a little bit Michael J Fox in Teen Wolf when he starts ball hogging sometimes.

Kadary and Buddy need to start and play the majority of minutes.
Joe is the sub for both
Joe is never going to be a good shooter in ACC play. Why? Because he is being guarded by superior athletes. Hes not playing Class B NYS HS kids anymore. He cant take anyone off the bounce, cant create so his only shot is an off balance 30 foot chuck. Teams have a book on him. Unless he suddenly grows 6 inches, or becomes twice as quick NOTHING is going to elevate his game. He is and will remain a limited player who is a huge liability on D.
His upside is if he gets hot he can put together a solid steak. I know everyone wants him to be the next Gmac but unfortunately hes not.
Kadary needs to start and get the majority PT. Joes a sub.

Yeah Buddy is not a bad player but hes a big part of why every game the other team plays really well and scores at ease.

Our best backcourt is Woody and Kadary starting with Buddy and Joe off the bench.

The biggest problem with Buddy and Joe‘s poor shooting is the constant pauses in the season. Shooters need to get into a rhythm and the constant stopping and starting is a problem. It’s not an excuse but it’s a big part of the problem..

Am I supposed to make a lifting cheeseburgers joke

AF3D4920-B0DC-44D5-9C1B-6BBE0247F28E.gif

Yeah, I’m not trying to say Griffin is Steph Curry here. But he is shooting at a better clip.

With that said, I feel like there may be a point where Griffin would take a 35 foot shot as a heat check if he felt he was in the zone. He gets to be a little bit Michael J Fox in Teen Wolf when he starts ball hogging sometimes.
Here's the thing about heat checks - didn't they used to occur after you made 3 or 4 shots? Now it seems if you make 1 you are heat checking.

Here's the thing about heat checks - didn't they used to occur after you made 3 or 4 shots? Now it seems if you make 1 you are heat checking.

Yeah. And with AG's confidence, he may do a heat check if he has a good pre-game warmup. Mind you, I like AG, but confidence is something he'll never be lacking.

That's fair. He's second on the team in shots. But to be fair to him:

44% FG
38% 3PT
58% TS
55 eFG%
20.4 PER

That substantially better than either Buddy or JGIII this year.

However, with that said, he should not try to be a cross between Dion and Elvir Ovcina.
His 3PT% would be well over 40% without all the step back off balance attempts. He has made some of them but every time I feel like I'm yelling NOOOO in slow motion when I see it. With Buddy and JGIII I just assume if the ball is passed to them it's being shot.

The biggest problem with Buddy and Joe‘s poor shooting is the constant pauses in the season. Shooters need to get into a rhythm and the constant stopping and starting is a problem. It’s not an excuse but it’s a big part of the problem..
I think it would be okay if one at a time would slump in a game. When you have 2 spots on the court jacking up shots at 20% for 30+ minutes it makes things complicated. lol

His 3PT% would be well over 40% without all the step back off balance attempts. He has made some of them but every time I feel like I'm yelling NOOOO in slow motion when I see it. With Buddy and JGIII I just assume if the ball is passed to them it's being shot.
You can tell when Joe is going to bring it into the frontcourt and fire a crazy deep 35 footer. Griffin and Buddy too, to a lesser extent. They all have to be point counting.

People might not have noticed that Pitt backed off Kadray by quite a bit. And that also hurt his passing because no one had to leave their man to help Kadrays man because Kadrays man was playing so far off of him. I think Kadray should start and play more. But let's not kid ourselves, there is a problem with him too.

Not sure if you heard the same thing I did, but Boeheim specifically referenced this in his post-game on the radio broadcast.

He said when Kadary is out there, teams back off of him because they know he can't shoot. He also said Kadary doesn't make jump shots in practice so Boeheim doesn't think he can make them in a game. When the teams back off, it messes with their spacing for passing and the spacing for our shooters.

Idk, personally I think that trade off (Kadary for Joe) might have been worth it in the closing minutes, but I'm not a HOF college basketball coach.

Good points about a Kadary for Buddy swap. If QG doesn't get in foul trouble, I think we easily walk away with a win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom