To improve our program | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

To improve our program

For those complaining about not having "a succession plan" for when JB retires. 1st the last "plan" fell through, what makes you think that the next will be better if its more than 1 season away. 2nd, how many other programs have such a plan in place? With all the head coaches 65 and older, do any really have a succession plan? What's Duke's? UNC's?
I noted it, but it wasn't a "complaint." It was a realistic 'bullet point' that surely has to be in the notes of any potential recruit. It's a valid question for any kid who considers coming here, and because there's no answer, it's a negative.

Whether or not the first one fell through is somewhat irrelevant. Hop's situation was pretty special, JB having a kid 'come of age' was unique, and the cookie happened to crumble that way. And the older JB gets, the more realistic it is to expect him to retire. I don't think it's as important for other schools with 'old' coaches, unless they've also already announced and then rescinded a retirement plan. If Coach K had indicated his retirement was imminent, and then changed his mind, sure, Duke recruits would have to wonder about him, too.

Talent plain and simple.
Give this HC a talented roster he will use it correctly.
See 2012.

If we have a talented roster the program will be fine.
Our problem has been having quality talent on the roster to have a complete team.

Recruiting would bring in multiple top 100 players a year not too long ago.
That would be fun again.

Wojo wouldn't be a bad pick, although I think Hurley has some more juice. Hubert Davis is deserving, but I bet they go big name.
Mike Hopkins has more NCAAT wins as a HC than Hurley and Wojo combined.

A darkhorse for Duke is Brad Stevens.
The Celtics owner Wyc Grousbek’s son was a walk-on at Duke and Stevens is now close to K.

Wojo has done nothing at a solid program like Marquette. Hurley did well at Buffalo but his Arizona State teams have done nothing in March.

Carolina will find a Carolina guy to coach the program.

The Celtics owner Wyc Grousbek’s son was a walk-on at Duke and Stevens is now close to K.

Wojo has done nothing at a solid program like Marquette. Hurley did well at Buffalo but his Arizona State teams have done nothing in March.

Hurley is also a Duke legend, Arizona st is a tough place to win at. James Harden lost to us in the 2nd round. Stevens is interesting, but he has a iconic job, I don't see Stevens wanting to be the guy to replace Coach K.

I noted it, but it wasn't a "complaint." It was a realistic 'bullet point' that surely has to be in the notes of any potential recruit. It's a valid question for any kid who considers coming here, and because there's no answer, it's a negative.
like it or not, it has an easy answer: "coach boeheim has the fitness and stamina of a man decades his junior and will be at syracuse for the foreseeable future. anyone who claims otherwise is lying to you."

Yes absolutely. Melo is one of the first people to be a part of “Team Jordan” and has a lifetime contract (from what I’m told) and usually there is an ambassador of the alumni that got the process started. Charles Woodson was big reason Michigan is a Jordan school and he was original guy like Melo. This is an ongoing avenue they are exploring

I would buy some Syracuse Orange and White 12’s in a heartbeat.

Jerry Stackhouse is coaching Vanderbilt. They sucked last year, but if he can show some progress there, I bet he becomes a strong candidate for the UNC job.

He’s got experience as an NBA assistant, D League head coach, now the Vanderbilt job. Like Juwan Howard, he played forever in the NBA, big name, superstar player at UNC. He’s got cache.

Now starring in Reversal of Fortune ...

Winning Big East Just the Start for Villanova This Season!

I'm really enjoying all that football money for being the conference doormat.

Now starring in Reversal of Fortune ...

Winning Big East Just the Start for Villanova This Season!

I'm really enjoying all that football money for being the conference doormat.
Lol

Are we that well known outside our backyard? More National exposure?

Program seems to be rebounding off of recent lows, but still has a long ways to go to get back to what we had become accustomed to for most of the Boeheim/Big East era. Problem is that we will probably never be able to get to the point of being an ACC kahuna the way we were a BE Kahuna year in and year out. In the end, to be great, it is about talent, and we have not been able to make our 5 star recruits stick. We only are able to even attract a 5 star once every few years to begin with. Add in that Boeheim's greatness lies in his year in and year out consistency, not in his ability to at least some of the time take a mediocre to good roster and make it great in a transformative way.

Many good comments in this thread about how to improve the program, but I saw nothing that shows a path to getting to where we were as opposed to making incremental improvements.

IMHO, we are what we are under Jimmy, a good program capable of over achieving in a given year, but thats about it.

If we are ever to attain consistent greatness again, it will take an extremely dynamic young coach who is a GREAT recruiter. And, of course, the problem with succeeding Jimmy is there is a lot of downside risk compared to the odds of striking paydirt with the next guy.

My ultimate wish would be to become a Jordan Brand school. This is the ultimate recruiting weapon

I’m actually kind of shocked we’re not already a Jordan Brand school considering, ya know, it’s basically in the family blood now.

Yes absolutely. Melo is one of the first people to be a part of “Team Jordan” and has a lifetime contract (from what I’m told) and usually there is an ambassador of the alumni that got the process started. Charles Woodson was big reason Michigan is a Jordan school and he was original guy like Melo. This is an ongoing avenue they are exploring

Also doesn’t hurt that the man himself is father to a former Orange grad, father-in-law to a former Orange star, and grandfather to hopefully a future Orange star as well :)

Jordan would be great, but as long as we stick with Nike, we’re good. These other brands have their moments, but it never sticks in b-ball.
Agree. My point was that Jordan will only ever work with UNC in the ACC

I think the key to making the team more competitive is improving the offense. It has been rather stale, depending more on athleticism than schemes, something the better defensive teams have been able to shut down easily.There is no reason, especially with the floor spread even more due the extended 3 point line, that our guys can't get a cleaner look at the basket. Having a competent center that can pass and score helps tremendously with this as well.

Improving defense is nice, but multifaceted teams will score no matter how good the defense. Especially those teams that can pass the ball will usually get a good look against a zone, as at some point the player will be a hair bit slow rotating back, giving the shooter a clean look, or a quick unobstructed drive toward the basket. The extended 3 point line just makes the area needed to cover by each player even larger. Players get tired, and even losing a step is enough to give the opponent a good look.

A new head coach sooner rather than later, not because JAB is not a good coach, but because everyone from recruits to competitors is thinking of him as a lame duck. The program needs a new coach or problems from this lame duck status will intensify. I know this is unfair, and I being of the same age get why he wants to keep going, but I feel the program needs new blood for its longer term future, Caveat being getting the right replacement.
This post has gotten me thinking. I wonder if a quick clean break with the coaching search completed in secrecy would be the best way to go. No succession nonsense that we went through before, no alumni getting pissy in the background. JB and Wildhack working together for JB to step down immediately after the season (whichever one he decides) with a new coach announced at the same time.

Last edited:
A new head coach sooner rather than later, not because JAB is not a good coach, but because everyone from recruits to competitors is thinking of him as a lame duck. The program needs a new coach or problems from this lame duck status will intensify. I know this is unfair, and I being of the same age get why he wants to keep going, but I feel the program needs new blood for its longer term future, Caveat being getting the right replacement.
Hopefully it’ll be Hop or Nate Oats taking over when JB retires.

Program seems to be rebounding off of recent lows, but still has a long ways to go to get back to what we had become accustomed to for most of the Boeheim/Big East era. Problem is that we will probably never be able to get to the point of being an ACC kahuna the way we were a BE Kahuna year in and year out. In the end, to be great, it is about talent, and we have not been able to make our 5 star recruits stick. We only are able to even attract a 5 star once every few years to begin with. Add in that Boeheim's greatness lies in his year in and year out consistency, not in his ability to at least some of the time take a mediocre to good roster and make it great in a transformative way.

Many good comments in this thread about how to improve the program, but I saw nothing that shows a path to getting to where we were as opposed to making incremental improvements.

IMHO, we are what we are under Jimmy, a good program capable of over achieving in a given year, but thats about it.

If we are ever to attain consistent greatness again, it will take an extremely dynamic young coach who is a GREAT recruiter. And, of course, the problem with succeeding Jimmy is there is a lot of downside risk compared to the odds of striking paydirt with the next guy.
I think Nate Oats could do wonders for the program when JB retires. He has JB’s coaching acumen and is a dynamic recruiter. Hop, though, should be our first call.

IMO, we need player development through creating a more functional bench. Over time, numerous players have grown tired of sitting and waiting. Numerous of these have moved on to success in other program. This is especially true in today’s hoops world.
Zone exclusive is not a workable game plan for today’s student athlete.
our next HC needs to be creative on O and D coupled with being a dynamic recruiter!
Cuse hoops should be one of the top programs in America!

I think Nate Oats could do wonders for the program when JB retires. He has JB’s coaching acumen and is a dynamic recruiter. Hop, though, should be our first call.
He will be on the very short list of candidates. Can guarantee you that

Jerry Stackhouse is coaching Vanderbilt. They sucked last year, but if he can show some progress there, I bet he becomes a strong candidate for the UNC job.

He’s got experience as an NBA assistant, D League head coach, now the Vanderbilt job. Like Juwan Howard, he played forever in the NBA, big name, superstar player at UNC. He’s got cache.
I didn't realize he went from D League HC to college. That's not considered a step down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom