TO me it all comes back to Dion | Syracusefan.com

TO me it all comes back to Dion

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
When I think about what its gonna take for "this basketball team" (channeling my inner jay williams) to cut down the nets, or at least make the final 4, it always comes back to dion. The defense is gonna be there, scoop and kris will be solid, fab will be the defensive force in the middle and get his 2 or 3 dunks a game, cj will fill the stat sheet, triche will look spectacular 1 minute then riding the pine dejectedly the next. Dion is without a doubt the x factor for me. When hes penetrating and finishing or getting to the line, or drawing the defense and dishing to cj for a slam, knocking down a couple open 3's, causing havoc at the top of the zone, playing with that attitude and swagger, basically playing like he did the first 2 1/2 months of the season, dare i say it i think we're unbeatable. When hes playing lazy and sulking and airballing 3's and bricking his free throws and complaining to the refs like he has been recently, every game from the 2nd round on could be a dogfight. And as good as theyve been winning those type of games, theyre not gonna win 5 rock fights in a row in the tournament.

So my #1 key for syracuse to cut down the nets? The play of dion waiters. Am i crazy?

When I think about what its gonna take for "this basketball team" (channeling my inner jay williams) to cut down the nets, or at least make the final 4, it always comes back to dion. The defense is gonna be there, scoop and kris will be solid, fab will be the defensive force in the middle and get his 2 or 3 dunks a game, cj will fill the stat sheet, triche will look spectacular 1 minute then riding the pine dejectedly the next. Dion is without a doubt the x factor for me. When hes penetrating and finishing or getting to the line, or drawing the defense and dishing to cj for a slam, knocking down a couple open 3's, causing havoc at the top of the zone, playing with that attitude and swagger, basically playing like he did the first 2 1/2 months of the season, dare i say it i think we're unbeatable. When hes playing lazy and sulking and airballing 3's and bricking his free throws and complaining to the refs like he has been recently, every game from the 2nd round on could be a dogfight.

So my #1 key for syracuse to cut down the nets? The play of dion waiters. Am i crazy?

Early in the season, when we were an offensive juggernaut, the difference was the offensive production / shooting of Dion and Southerland off the bench.

I agree that the defense, hustle, etc. have been consistent. It would be great if Dion in particular [and Southerland in general] rediscovered their outside shooting touch for the stretch run.

Early in the season, when we were an offensive juggernaut, the difference was the offensive production / shooting of Dion and Southerland off the bench.

I agree that the defense, hustle, etc. have been consistent. It would be great if Dion in particular [and Southerland in general] rediscovered their outside shooting touch for the stretch run.
Ditto + Brandon.

Seeing Dion can create off the dribble and James and Brandon score more with perimeter shots these 2 need to start making shots. If they do look the F out

To me it comes down to making some 3's. Whether that is Kjo, Triche or James. A couple of them have to give us 5+ a game. The offense looks so much better when we make some 3's.

As far as offensive production, it's not realistic in this conference to think we'll dominate as we did earlier. Teams are getting better and the stakes are a lot higher. We're at the top of the conference, with a high ranking and a fat bullseye on our backs. For at least a month now, we've been protecting a BE title and a #1 seed, and opposing teams know that beating us is a virtual NCAA ticket. Given all that, it's not surprising that we're getting their A games.

I'd just like to see our bench guys start contributing more consistently. Since the ND game, CJ and Fab have been steady and KJ and Scoop have elevated their play. This has not yet been the case with Dion, BT, BMK and JS.

In the BET and the NCAA's, we have to have at least Dion, BT and JS playing well, not just the seniors, Fab and CJ. Maybe a BIG win over the 'Ville (like the hammer-job they handed us at the Dumb Dumb 2 seasons ago) will wake the other guys up.

Believe that it does not all fall on Dion's shoulders. Triche, Dirty, and Keita must pick up their game...Dion needs to get back to old Dion of first 20 games. I believe that if 2 of the following get going to where we know they can play...'Cuse wins it...it is not all on Dion:
1. Dirty not hitting 3s but is helping on defense and 2 pt shooting. If he starts hitting 3s it opens up the paint for some easier drives for everyone
2. Triche hasnt had the offensive spark he has shown he has...if he hits a 3 pt shot early in game he usually becomes more aggressive on offense and we need that coupled with his excellent FT shooting which will be a factor in NCAAs
3. Keita seems to have regressed...if he can get back to games he played late last year he will contribute...and we need him to have hands
4. Waiters has lost his mojo in last several games. Think all other teams view him as our DUDE...but he has not made a driving basket at end of halves in several games in a row...his 3 pt shooting has fallen off as well as his FT %

Southerland starts making his shots, the trophy is ours! Law of average says he will come out of his funk. That's what I'm going with.

I don't think Dion needs to carry us, but he does need to produce more than he has recently.

It all comes down to the shooting. I believe if we can shoot 45%+, there's no one that can beat us. And 45 % is not an outrageous number. But, if we throw in a terrible shooting game in there versus a decent above average team, we will be in big . We don't need to shoot lights out to beat the top teams. We are that good. 45% should do it. But, throw in a clunker and watch out.

I don't think Dion needs to carry us, but he does need to produce more than he has recently.

It all comes down to the shooting. I believe if we can shoot 45%+, there's no one that can beat us. And 45 % is not an outrageous number. But, if we throw in a terrible shooting game in there versus a decent above average team, we will be in big ****. We don't need to shoot lights out to beat the top teams. We are that good. 45% should do it. But, throw in a clunker and watch out.
We don't turn the ball over either. That really speaks volumes in close games and one and done scenarios.

I w
When I think about what its gonna take for "this basketball team" (channeling my inner jay williams) to cut down the nets, or at least make the final 4, it always comes back to dion. The defense is gonna be there, scoop and kris will be solid, fab will be the defensive force in the middle and get his 2 or 3 dunks a game, cj will fill the stat sheet, triche will look spectacular 1 minute then riding the pine dejectedly the next. Dion is without a doubt the x factor for me. When hes penetrating and finishing or getting to the line, or drawing the defense and dishing to cj for a slam, knocking down a couple open 3's, causing havoc at the top of the zone, playing with that attitude and swagger, basically playing like he did the first 2 1/2 months of the season, dare i say it i think we're unbeatable. When hes playing lazy and sulking and airballing 3's and bricking his free throws and complaining to the refs like he has been recently, every game from the 2nd round on could be a dogfight. And as good as theyve been winning those type of games, theyre not gonna win 5 rock fights in a row in the tournament.

I would share your analysis about Dion. I think it is spot on.

However, in my mind, even more important than the point you are making is JB's coaching. When the game has gotten tight recently, he has been choaking. An old deficiency I thought he was over.

He is coaching brilliantly in the first half. For example, in the Rutgers game we built up a 20+ point lead early in the 2nd half. Time to cycle in MCW and James which was so successful in the first, and keep the big guns fresh for down the stretch, but he hesitated. In a flash Brandon lost concentration or intensity, got stripped, missed two layups and Joseph missed on 3 pointers - whatever - and the game was close. JB then went into his end game slug-fest style, in what should have been a blow-out. We still won, but if he does not play with a more loose style in the tournament, I am not sure we will be so lucky.

We have 7 guys that can provide offense - Scoop, Triche, Dion, Joseph, Fair, Southerland, Melo. If 5 can be on in every game I really like our chances.

I don't think we have to depend on Dion nor do I think we should. The others are capable of getting the job done if they put their minds to it. I'm thinking this way simply because I don't see Dion all of a sudden returning to his December game. He's been mailing it in for the last two months with only flashes of his former self. Would it be easier if he turned back the clock? You bet! But I'm not planning on it.

Dion against South Florida had a solid 3-6 shooting night. He doesn't need to take 14 shots a game. His driving is good enough to make things happen around him.

I feel we only need 4 guys to be on but agree 5 puts us much better. We did good with just scoop, KJO and Triche against cincy and WVU.
Also I think MCW helps create offense with his passing alone - add a 8th guy.

3 stats that I think define this team.
1. Our defense is much better when Melo is playing tough and is a noticable defensive presence.
2. We shot 34% 50% 34% 59% 34% 54% and then 50% 1st half and 34% second half the last 7 games.
Shooting percentage is everything if you can't be stopped your going to win.
3. Rebounding cant take a night off. All you got to do is try. You don't have to worry about the numbers just try to get them all.

You could also make a case that we will go as far as the big guy in the middle takes us. If he plays like he did against Herb Pope we are a tough out as the other team will get literally nothing done inside. If Fab gets into foul trouble early or is a no show does anyone like our chances? Not sure I could say that about any other one player on our team. We have other parts for every other position but center especially the way Baye has been playing lately.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ijbw3g

You could also make a case that we will go as far as the big guy in the middle takes us. If he plays like he did against Herb Pope we are a tough out as the other team will get literally nothing done inside. If Fab gets into foul trouble early or is a no show does anyone like our chances? Not sure I could say that about any other one player on our team. We have other parts for every other position but center especially the way Baye has been playing lately.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ijbw3g

You have to put a body on Fab to score on him. Someone like Sullinger can do that. Someone like Davis can't. And Fab is good at drawing charges on the tweeners that put alot of weight into him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom