We'll all feel better once we see commitments announced | Syracusefan.com

We'll all feel better once we see commitments announced

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Right now we're neck deep in the unknown because we're in the portal time where we know or think we know who's going, but the roster is incomplete because we don't have a full sense yet for who else is going to be on the roster.

I know positionless basketball is all the rage, but that's skill-based. Get 5 super versatile guys and let them do their thing. What we had last season was a lot of guys playing out of position because there was a logjam at their natural position, or we didn't have anyone all that good at the natural position on the floor.

I think, and it's a captain obvious thing, that we can improve next year if we have guys just playing in their right spots.

JJ can work as a 2 guard. Bell can work as a 3 (shut up, I don't want to hear about it), Freeman can work as a 4.

We get other guys in that actually fit a position on the basketball court and maybe it works.

Right now we're neck deep in the unknown because we're in the portal time where we know or think we know who's going, but the roster is incomplete because we don't have a full sense yet for who else is going to be on the roster.

I know positionless basketball is all the rage, but that's skill-based. Get 5 super versatile guys and let them do their thing. What we had last season was a lot of guys playing out of position because there was a logjam at their natural position, or we didn't have anyone all that good at the natural position on the floor.

I think, and it's a captain obvious thing, that we can improve next year if we have guys just playing in their right spots.

JJ can work as a 2 guard. Bell can work as a 3 (shut up, I don't want to hear about it), Freeman can work as a 4.

We get other guys in that actually fit a position on the basketball court and maybe it works.
This, this, and this. ^^^ We need an actual 1 and an actual 5 and we’ll all feel a lot more settled.

Yeah. Landing a legit lead guard is really important, IMO.
That's the weird mystery to me.

You'd think as a former point guard that Autry would really prioritize the position.

But it seems he's bought in on the idea of the combo guard.

I know Red could score as a point guard, so maybe it's that.

I don't know. Just seems weird.

Been it seems radio silence on things at the 1. No accouncement from Judah and no movement on portal PG targets other than the two guys we’ve contacted it seems

This, this, and this. ^^^ We need an actual 1 and an actual 5 and we’ll all feel a lot more settled.
Yeah, and that's why I get that some have reservations about Lampkin, but... he is a center. That's his position on the floor. There's no doubt.

Now, would we want more shot blocking there? Yeah. But we are bringing in a proven starter, and I don't know how realistic it is to expect more from the portal.

Been it seems radio silence on things at the 1. No accouncement from Judah and no movement on portal PG targets other than the two guys we’ve contacted it seems
Yeah I don't have insider info but I suspect it's been known for a while that Judah isn't on the roster next season. No idea why there hasn't been a formal announcement yet.

Yeah, and that's why I get that some have reservations about Lampkin, but... he is a center. That's his position on the floor. There's no doubt.

Now, would we want more shot blocking there? Yeah. But we are bringing in a proven starter, and I don't know how realistic it is to expect more from the portal.

When we can snag another physical forward like say the kid from Delaware as a backup 4/small ball 5 to add to the mix with a Lampkin it would help
a lot too. We went from looking for a big to needed a big and another solid backup 4/3 to go with the chase for a lead guard

Yeah I don't have insider info but I suspect it's been known for a while that Judah isn't on the roster next season. No idea why there hasn't been a formal announcement yet.

Are we negotiating to keep him?

Position less basketball works great when you have a bunch of high end athletes that are talented enough to play/guard multiple positions. That is a very rare situation to be in for a college team especially when no one sticks around to develop anymore.

That's the weird mystery to me.

You'd think as a former point guard that Autry would really prioritize the position.

But it seems he's bought in on the idea of the combo guard.

I know Red could score as a point guard, so maybe it's that.

I don't know. Just seems weird.

If he really has bought into the combo guard thing that has largely failed this program since Michael Gbinije graduated then I would be very disappointed in Red.

I hope that's not the case because it would be the definition of insanity.

If he really has bought into the combo guard thing that has largely failed this program since Michael Gbinije graduated then I would be very disappointed in Red.

Yeah the whole reason it was that way before was that we couldn't go after a big chunk of true point guards because they were too short to play the zone well. The thing I was most looking forward to with Red playing man-to-man was being able to consistently get good point guards.

" we don't have a full sense yet for who else is going to be on the roster."

sounds like right now you're planning a grand trip with no vehicle and no map.

Red WAS a combo guard. 6-4 guys don't play pure PG in HS.

Let’s be real… I won’t feel better until we are on the right side of the bubble or the top 25. There is no guarantee the dudes we are going to get and the coaches we will have can put together a team that can get back into the dance.

Last year we on paper did very well in the portal and a lot of folate had us in the dance.

Because there’s too much noise of portal entries and the final four.

Judah, I bet, wants to time things so he can be more of the story. Next week or thereafter.

Is that helpful to the SU Coaching staff trying to recruit a legit One in what looks like a stacked backcourt? Nope…which is why I’d also bet one of Mike Waters’ sources has a syr.edu email address.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom