To the SU students and recent grads | Syracusefan.com

To the SU students and recent grads

bballbeadle

Woman of a certain age
Why do you think the students are not coming to the games? I am especially curious about the expense of the tickets. I have heard that the school does NOT give the students a break, price-wise. (We already know they shafted them with the seats!) If it's the discouraging ticket prices, it seems the administration could be pressured to do something about that. I would suggest a public shaming. But perhaps it's something other than money.

Please, enlighten us! We await your responses with bated breaths (and some with beer breaths).

Whatever the reason, it is a pathetic display and has been all year.

They are spoiled I think. We have been so good for four years, they really haven't been able to get out to the lesser games especially. I graduated in 2007. From 05 to 08 we were extremely average and the students always showed up. It is almost like when we are expected to win they don't feel like they need to be there anymore.

Hard for me to relate, since I had the package season tickets for basketball and football, but I'll add my two cents.

Night classes draw some students away from mid-week games. That's not very big, but it's something. There's also other events that occur on campus; things like greek events and stuff.

Sometimes after a long day of work/class, students would simply just rather watch it on TV in their warm dorm/apartment.

If I understand correctly, big east games are 26$ for students. Might not seem like a lot but to the average, casual SU student/fan, you pick and choose your games. 26$ is a few weekends of drinking if you plan accordingly.

And yes, I think SU does a horrible job at making it easy for students to attend the games.

i find it hard to understand.. i remember the passion and turnout in my 4 yrs from 02-06 it just doesn't make sense the poor turnout.. maybe it is being spoiled and students being over- selective..

Been outta SU for a long time now, my guess is that the student demographic like other schools in the NE has changed quite a bit.

In my particular case, I had a 3 hour class and I had left that class early last week to watch the end of the Cuse-UConn game, so I thought it best to go to class this week. Not sure about others. A lot of my friends were in class though.

In my particular case, I had a 3 hour class and I had left that class early last week to watch the end of the Cuse-UConn game, so I thought it best to go to class this week. Not sure about others. A lot of my friends were in class though.

Class excuse is lame. As jake c would say "get a life"

$26 for a student ticket is criminal. Isn't the university getting enough out of the kids from their tuition?

I was at the JD-Ludden game last night and the BL student section was a bit sparse for a playoff game...usually they get in free...sectionals are $3 a head...maybe its the $$?

Also, I am 42 and have a bunch of people working for me in their late 20's and early 30's. They can barely go 5 minutes without checking their phones, updating Facebook, tweeting, etc. It is ridiculous - you go to a restaurant with them and nobody can carry a conversation these days all they do is diddle their phones. Can't imagine the attention span of a 18 - 22 year old is much better these days maybe a sporting event is just too long to hold their attention.

$26 for a student ticket is criminal. Isn't the university getting enough out of the kids from their tuition?

I was at the JD-Ludden game last night and the BL student section was a bit sparse for a playoff game...usually they get in free...sectionals are $3 a head...maybe its the $$?

Also, I am 42 and have a bunch of people working for me in their late 20's and early 30's. They can barely go 5 minutes without checking their phones, updating Facebook, tweeting, etc. It is ridiculous - you go to a restaurant with them and nobody can carry a conversation these days all they do is diddle their phones. Can't imagine the attention span of a 18 - 22 year old is much better these days maybe a sporting event is just too long to hold their attention.

I am shocked that its $26 a game. I would have guessed about $100 for the entire season.

Tuesdays I have a 3 hour from 5-7:45 and Wednesdays I have 6:45-9:30

Wow. I think I was done with my classes by 3 every day and coudlnt fathom taking a night class. Of course if its the only time its offered thats a different story.

Wow. I think I was done with my classes by 3 every day and coudlnt fathom taking a night class. Of course if its the only time its offered thats a different story.
I had the same class from 2-6 three days a week.

Only night class I ever took was History of Primetime Television. Though I even skipped that for a game, slackers.

I can't really speak to the current mindset of today's SU student hoops fan, but I will say that when I was a student in the mid-80's, the student section was not just relegated to behind the basket.

In addition to being behind the basket we also had the entire section right in front if where the blue curtain used to be and EVERY conference game was packed - at least the student sections were anyway.

Maybe it has something to do with that. The atmosphere was always great and it was a blast no matter if we were playing the league doormats (hello UConn...) or Georgetown, St. John's or 'Nova.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's just not as great an atmosphere if the Orange aren't playing a top team because there's nothing else fueling the excitement whereas we used to just feed off ourselves.

I am shocked that its $26 a game. I would have guessed about $100 for the entire season.

I paid $99 at USC each season from 2000-02 for an activity pass for EVERY home game EVERY sport excluding ND/UCLA football which was strictly a lottery system. A freaking steal.

Hard for me to relate, since I had the package season tickets for basketball and football, but I'll add my two cents.

Night classes draw some students away from mid-week games. That's not very big, but it's something. There's also other events that occur on campus; things like greek events and stuff.

Sometimes after a long day of work/class, students would simply just rather watch it on TV in their warm dorm/apartment.

If I understand correctly, big east games are 26$ for students. Might not seem like a lot but to the average, casual SU student/fan, you pick and choose your games. 26$ is a few weekends of drinking if you plan accordingly.

And yes, I think SU does a horrible job at making it easy for students to attend the games.
These prices you quote must be for single games. A co-worker of mine has a freshman at SU and he told me season tix for students were something like $150. When I was at SU (87-91) it worked out to $5 a game on the season plan. I'm of the opinion that students should get in for free.

We expected to win every game when I was there and we turned out in droves, even for the early season cupcakes. BE games averaged about 25k fans with all big games on weekends drawing 32k.

The student demographics have changed a lot with a higher percentage of foreign students who don't care about American sports, sadly.

Pretty sure it was $88 my senior year. Didn't realize they changed it so drastically.

Was about 120 from 03 to 07. I don't think it was terrible. A lot of students don't seem to be as diehard. They show up for the big games, but not ones we are expected to win.

I think I paid roughly $88 for seasons back from 01-04. Definitely wasn't much more than that and well worth it. $26 per game is absurd if that's the case.

Student ticket holder from 03-09. Class of 07', G09'.

I don't think I ever missed a home game. I got the football/basketball package my first and second years, and wised up and stuck with basketball only for the last 4.

I remember sitting pretty much anywhere I wanted in the student section for mid-week games, but I can remember some games, particularly weekend BE games, where I had to sit in the upper level with the "overflow" of students who had season tickets.

For me, I knew I wanted to go to a school with big time sports, that factored into my decision to attend SU. I definitely didn't take it for granted. Some of my peers, not so much.

I can't really speak to the current mindset of today's SU student hoops fan, but I will say that when I was a student in the mid-80's, the student section was not just relegated to behind the basket.

In addition to being behind the basket we also had the entire section right in front if where the blue curtain used to be and EVERY conference game was packed - at least the student sections were anyway.

Maybe it has something to do with that. The atmosphere was always great and it was a blast no matter if we were playing the league doormats (hello UConn...) or Georgetown, St. John's or 'Nova.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's just not as great an atmosphere if the Orange aren't playing a top team because there's nothing else fueling the excitement whereas we used to just feed off ourselves.

Those games against league doormats would never make tv back in the day. Now you can see every game on tv. We will never again come close to the avg game attendance of that era of SU basketball for that reason alone. We are not comparing apples to apples here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom