Today’s college BB talent | Syracusefan.com

Today’s college BB talent

It's not AAU. There are no great sr's anymore. Ewing, Chris Mullen and Derrick Coleman all played 4 years. And they weren't alone

Exactly the issue. Think Derrick stays 4 years now? Billy Owens 3 years? Not many organizations would be as good losing their best talent every single year.

AAU’s changed the face of basketball.

It has nothing to do with AAU and I'm tired of people who have no clue about the scene using them as a punching bag. Kids across the board aren't skilled enough. It's been trending this way for years, but now we're seeing how bad the talent is at this level. Many of the kids you see now getting scholarships to elite schools wouldn't have been considered by then when the talent was good. These aren't high D1 players nowadays.

Basketball had never been better and people overrate the old days. I watched in the 90’s. The game is perimeter oriented at every position now and there’s little true post play. I think a lot of people miss that.

It has nothing to do with AAU and I'm tired of people who have no clue about the scene using them as a punching bag. Kids across the board aren't skilled enough. It's been trending this way for years, but now we're seeing how bad the talent is at this level. Many of the kids you see now getting scholarships to elite schools wouldn't have been considered by then when the talent was good. These aren't high D1 players nowadays.
I disagree. I think kids are forced to play now because the top kids have left early and there is no one better and older to play in front of them. In the old days, the kids that needed time got it. A lot of kids who had good jr and sr years didn't play much until their jr year. Marty Brynes came to Syracuse and didn't play much as a freshman. By the end of his sr year he was a first round draft choice. Plenty of others had the same experience.

I think it is a combination of things.

1) AAU basketball only teaches or focuses on transition basketball, so too many kids don't know how to play in the half court. (See Guerrier)

2) Kids are not staying in college even 10 years ago a player at Brissett's projected draft rating would stay in school.

3) Proliferation of the 3pt shot, while the extra point generally makes the math worth it, when they are not going in you get ugly games that become blowouts quickly.

Because every one leaves after a year maybe two. Back then guys stayed at least three years.

The talent is as high as it’s ever been, maybe higher. The experience is the lowest it’s ever been.
No it's not. There used to be more because it would accumulate. You had good freshman that were still in college the next year when the next group came in. Then both of those classes were still in school when the class after that came in. Now the elite players in the next class simply replace everyone that left for the pros.

It's not AAU. There are no great sr's anymore. Ewing, Chris Mullen and Derrick Coleman all played 4 years. And they weren't alone

There aren't a whole lot of great sophomores or juniors either. The college game is still good but it ain't what it used to be. The NBA has an incredible amount of talent but an absurdly long schedule which along with load management and tanking make the regular season kind of boring. Playoffs can be very exciting though.

its like watching JV compared to what it used to be...sux but it is what it is and unlikley to get better.

the only way I see it is if there becomes a paid U23 league replacing college BBALL...or college BBALL becoming paid and somehow getting all the u23 players to stay on those teams until then. but that is very unlikely to happen

the only way I see it is if there becomes a paid U23 league replacing college BBALL...or college BBALL becoming paid and somehow getting all the u23 players to stay on those teams until then. but that is very unlikely to happen
This is what the G-league is going to be. The games will be streamed, kids will go pro straight out of high school.

College Basketball will be more like College Baseball, but the effect on the revenue stream on college basketball is unknown. It won't be good, but hopefully it won't fall off the cliff.

This is what the G-league is going to be. The games will be streamed, kids will go pro straight out of high school.

College Basketball will be more like College Baseball, but the effect on the revenue stream on college basketball is unknown. It won't be good, but hopefully it won't fall off the cliff.
The interest in college basketball will erode at least a bit more. People won't care about teams that aren't their favorites when all of the good prospects bypass college.

The interest in college basketball will erode at least a bit more. People won't care about teams that aren't their favorites when all of the good prospects bypass college.
It's worse than that. The G-league teams are all in mid-size to small city's where college basketball is king. If you are not an alumni and G-league tickets are cheaper with better talent which team are you bringing your family to.

SU should be fine in this regard because there isn't a team in our area, but if one pops up in Albany or Rochester it would effect SU's ticket sales.

I will never for the life of me understand the constant hate on AAU. Kids play more organized basketball now than they ever have before and it’s awesome for everyone involved. Sports evolve just like anything else and just because the game is different now than it was a couple decades ago only makes it subjectively worse. Transition basketball and three point shooting is entertaining to me, a young.

It seems like AAU is the scapegoat people point to when they don’t like the way the game is played now but I would argue it produces far more positives than negatives. Basketball changes just like football has to spread offenses and air raids it’s a part of sports.

I will never for the life of me understand the constant hate on AAU. Kids play more organized basketball now than they ever have before and it’s awesome for everyone involved. Sports evolve just like anything else and just because the game is different now than it was a couple decades ago only makes it subjectively worse. Transition basketball and three point shooting is entertaining to me, a young.

It seems like AAU is the scapegoat people point to when they don’t like the way the game is played now but I would argue it produces far more positives than negatives. Basketball changes just like football has to spread offenses and air raids it’s a part of sports.

What are the positives and negatives?

One of the negatives I see, and I have a 16-year old in the middle of it, is the lack of competitive urgency. They know there is another game after this one, so losing doesn't hurt as much as it should. That translates into not diving on the floor, not going just a little harder for that rebound, or not working as hard on defense.

Ya, that was my first thought. "It's awesome" isn't a compelling argument in favor.

I'm open to reasoned takes on the subject (I'm not wedded to my contention that the AAU has hurt the broader game), but someone's got to account for the decline in fundamental skills.

Last edited:
It's only going to get worse as the NBA does away with the one and done rule and expands the d-league.

Thats why college programs need to develop a specific culture and style to adapt.

And those who win championships have solid role players that developed sprinkled with two-and-done types.

The talent has bifurcated and the regular season isn’t as good, but nothing is as good as March Madness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom