Today in Syracuse hoops history | Syracusefan.com

Today in Syracuse hoops history

Double game come incredible ending, incredibly high-stakes.

It's one of the greatest tournament games in our history.

And if I recall, Georgia had 5 senior starters, was an 8 seed, but had upset #1 (who else), Purdue.
I think it might have been four seniors in a junior, but either way, your point stands.

It's one of the best games I've ever seen come up one of my all-time favorite Syracuse wins. I probably watch this game a hundred times with no exaggeration, over the years.

What's most incredible to me was how both teams traded baskets at the end of regulation and into overtime. It was like a battle between two heavyweight boxers, with punch after counterpunch, with us landing the final haymaker. Incredible game.

It’s so sad that in today’s game Cipolla’s shot would not have been a buzzer beater as they would have gone to the replay booth for 3 minutes and put .3 seconds on the clock.

Then, in OT, after Wallace’s shot, they would have stopped it again and declared it a 2-pointer, providing UGA with 3-4 seconds to draw up a play during the official’s timeout.

I can understand the necessity of doing so on the latter play, but the incessant reviews take that prolonged thrill away from the games.

Oh man... one of the greatest nights out at the bars I have ever had! Didn't uconn lose that day too? I was hitting Hartford bars on my way to see a friend's blues band. I remember after the game was over walking into the club they were playing at, catching my buddy's eye as he was playing, and slowly unzipping my jacket to show my Syracuse t-shirt. He saw me, smiled & nodded, and kept on playing.

I’m still ticked off that Wallace allowed basically an uncontested three to give them the lead. I guess he just wanted to extend the drama.
Par for the course with Wallace's defense.

Oh man... one of the greatest nights out at the bars I have ever had! Didn't uconn lose that day too? I was hitting Hartford bars on my way to see a friend's blues band. I remember after the game was over walking into the club they were playing at, catching my buddy's eye as he was playing, and slowly unzipping my jacket to show my Syracuse t-shirt. He saw me, smiled & nodded, and kept on playing.
They lost to Miss St who we later beat.

I’m still ticked off that Wallace allowed basically an uncontested three to give them the lead. I guess he just wanted to extend the drama.
That slow-motion rotation notwithstanding...John Wallace simply would not be denied on offense.
Cuse in the house...oh my God, oh my God!

It’s so sad that in today’s game Cipolla’s shot would not have been a buzzer beater as they would have gone to the replay booth for 3 minutes and put .3 seconds on the clock.

Then, in OT, after Wallace’s shot, they would have stopped it again and declared it a 2-pointer, providing UGA with 3-4 seconds to draw up a play during the official’s timeout.

I can understand the necessity of doing so on the latter play, but the incessant reviews take that prolonged thrill away from the games.
That would have helped us a lot in 1987 after Keith Smarts shot.

my knowledge of Syracuse basketball in the 90s is mostly a blank. I left the area in the early 90s and was either in a different state or overseas until 2001. There were no streaming services and the internet was exceptionally limited. I didn't find out that they were in the Final Four until the day of the championship game, and at the time we didn't have a way to watch, so I had to read the paper the next day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom