Today, the better team did not win | Syracusefan.com

Today, the better team did not win

RF2044

Living Legend
College officiating is a freaking joke. We got absolutely boned all day by the refs--and that enabled Villanova to keep the game close / stay in it when they had no business staying in it. And in the process, the team that played better today got screwed. And I have no illusions about us playing a "great" second half--but that was attributable in large part to the refs getting us in such deep foul trouble.

So much for the points of emphasis last year. It drives me nuts, because you hate to complain about offiating, but it was so lopsided today that it had an enormous impact on the game outcome.

I could point to dozens of examples throughout the game. But make no mistakie: we got robbed, and the refs gift wrapped this win to Villanova.

Just once, I wish we'd enjoy a homecout advantage like that.

Attrocious game by the refs today.

College officiating is a freaking joke. We got absolutely boned all day by the refs--and that enabled Villanova to keep the game close / stay in it when they had no business staying in it.

So much for the points of emphasis last year. It drives me nuts, because you hate to complain about offiating, but it was so lopsided today that it had an enormous impact on the game outcome.

I could point to dozens of examples throughout the game. But make no mistakie: we got robbed, and the refs gift wrapped this win to Villanova.

I haven't had a complaint in any of our other games, but this one, I'm not even sure what I just watched.

Nova isn't very good. This game was handed to them on a silver platter by the refs.

How about them missing the cooney travel when he caught his own airball? I mean... how do you miss that? There is no more obvious call you can make than that.

Something needs to be done to get some better officiating in the NCAA. Nothing will be done though.

College officiating is a freaking joke. We got absolutely boned all day by the refs--and that enabled Villanova to keep the game close / stay in it when they had no business staying in it. And in the process, the team that played better today got screwed. And I have no illusions about us playing a "great" second half--but that was attributable in large part to the refs getting us in such deep foul trouble.

Refs were not going to allow a Nova home loss

How about them missing the cooney travel when he caught his own airball? I mean... how do you miss that? There is no more obvious call you can make than that.

Something needs to be done to get some better officiating in the NCAA. Nothing will be done though.
It's not a travel. He attempted a shot. They changed that rule about 3-4 years ago.

Agree about the officiating though...horrible!

Thought it was pretty standard fare for CBB. Home teams that fall behind always get calls.

I didn't realized how unskilled Nova's bigs are. Their entire game is "lower shoulder, hope for contact". Cannot play in space at all. Definitely a team I'll want to fade away from home.

It's not a travel. He attempted a shot. They changed that rule about 3-4 years ago.

Agree about the officiating though...horrible!

Really? Haha... I don't like that rule

oh well the refs did everything in their power to strike the traveling violation from the rulebook today... might as well get rid of one more scenario where they'd have to call it.

I RARELY complain about officiating because it is usually an excuse made by losing teams.

Today the officiating 100% played a significant role in our loss. AND, we blew it. Both of them are facts.

The absolute inconsistency is ridiculous- both with regards to the refs and our play.

Today was the first time the thought actually crossed my mind that I might not want to watch games anymore.

I know a lot of people dislike the NBA, but I've been watching more and more of it. They had a ref problem and an ugly period and cleaned it up. The NCAA could learn something from them.

Today was the first time the thought actually crossed my mind that I might not want to watch games anymore.

I know a lot of people dislike the NBA, but I've been watching more and more of it. They had a ref problem and an ugly period and cleaned it up. The NCAA could learn something from them.

I recently argued with a few co-workers who were talking about how bad the NBA is, and how they stopped watching after Jordan retired. "They don't play any defense, it's not real basketball, the refs are terrible, and how well played the college game is"......it's amazing how off the mark people can be in their sports takes. It's like they were stuck in a time warp. That stuff hasn't been true in many years!

College basketball absulutely sucks. It is horrid.

I recently argued with a few co-workers who were talking about how bad the NBA is, and how they stopped watching after Jordan retired. "They don't play any defense, it's not real basketball, the refs are terrible, and how well played the college game is"...it's amazing how off the mark people can be in their sports takes. It's like they were stuck in a time warp. That stuff hasn't been true in many years!
Seriously, you don't even need to watch much - just a few games and the contrast is so apparent.

My favorite call was McCullough's 5th... a play where he went up for a RB, got the RB and then was undercut (Nova did this to us all game) and sent sprawling to the floor. Apparently because he landed on top of the Nova player that undercut him, foul on McCullough!! lol... I guess the infraction was, "illegally failing to hover in mid-air to avoid contact with an undercutting defender". Must in the rules somewhere.

The officials were so intent on keeping our bigs off the floor, I'm surprised they didn't call one on Thomas Bryant .. in case he reclassified to 2014 and tried to enter the game.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom