Today, the better team did not win | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Today, the better team did not win

Im honestly game for doing one of those petitions on this game petitioning for explanation on the lack of equality on how this game was reffed.

I RARELY complain about officiating because it is usually an excuse made by losing teams.

Today the officiating 100% played a significant role in our loss. AND, we blew it. Both of them are facts.

The absolute inconsistency is ridiculous- both with regards to the refs and our play.

I'm with you--former player, whining about the officiating USUALLY is pointless. But it was a significant factor that shifted the game to the undeserving team today.

Today the officiating 100% played a significant role in our loss. AND, we blew it. Both of them are facts.

The absolute inconsistency is ridiculous- both with regards to the refs and our play.

1000% (especially the 2nd part of each sentence)

tumblr_inline_nd18t9WMNW1s5jo86.gif

Jake said:
I'm kinda pissed that jb didn't go off in the post game.

Probably afraid that if he called the refs out we'd get jobbed every single game forward. Still, disappointing.

Not disagreeing but Nova was by far the more aggressive team in the 2nd half and OT taking the ball to the rim and getting foul calls. When we weren't turning the ball over, we were settling for jump shots again. That also contributed the the FT discrepancy. Our guys stopped being aggressive like they were in the first half.

Not disagreeing but Nova was by far the more aggressive team in the 2nd half and OT taking the ball to the rim and getting foul calls. When we weren't turning the ball over, we were settling for jump shots again. That also contributed the the FT discrepancy. Our guys stopped being aggressive like they were in the first half.

I'm not even talking about free throw disparity. To the aggressors go the FTs.

I'm talking about the lopsided calls, the disparity in HOW the game was officiated.

McCullough picks up a ticky tack foul 40 feet from the basket 12 seconds into the second half, and the refs blow a quick whistle. Our guys get mugged repeatedly in our offensive sets, the refs let that go, but they call offensive fouls on us. Their guys push off all game inside, no calls. Their guys go over the back, no calls.

They didn't even have 10 fouls on them by the end of the OT, whereas we had that 7 minutes into the second half.

All of which took a game that shouldn't have been close and made it close, which enabled Villanova to hang around. That's the point--it NEVER should have been close at the end. If this game had been officiated even close to even--hell, give Villanova a bit of home cooking even from the refs--and we win semi-comfortably.

We got seriously boned today. I'm still amazed by how blatantly poor the officiating was. Usually, it is pointless to complain about even a pivotal call here and there--but that's not what this was. This was lopsided BS the entire game, which took what should have been an easy win to OT, to an eventual loss for the team that deserved to win.

Not a very good day for the refs.

I'm kinda pissed that jb didn't go off in the post game.

I think he just didn't want to be labeled as negative, you know, there were so many other positives today. :);)

College officiating is a freaking joke. We got absolutely boned all day by the refs--and that enabled Villanova to keep the game close / stay in it when they had no business staying in it. And in the process, the team that played better today got screwed. And I have no illusions about us playing a "great" second half--but that was attributable in large part to the refs getting us in such deep foul trouble.

So much for the points of emphasis last year. It drives me nuts, because you hate to complain about offiating, but it was so lopsided today that it had an enormous impact on the game outcome.

I could point to dozens of examples throughout the game. But make no mistakie: we got robbed, and the refs gift wrapped this win to Villanova.

Just once, I wish we'd enjoy a homecout advantage like that.

Attrocious game by the refs today.

College basketball is trash. This is like professional wrestling.

Among the many, how about Cooney getting mowed down on Gbinije's last inbound turnover and Gbinije being shoved out of bounds as he tried to recover? And the Rakeem Christmas Story?

Hey guys, while I agree that the officiating was questionable, we still had a good chance in this game to win it. Remember the LA-Tech game? Loss of UM? Cal? Well, we played really well for long stretches in this game. If we cut down on the mistakes (TO's, especially) and continue to improve (KJ was pretty good after being a TO machine last game) we'll be pretty good and I'm excited to see how our team develops.

Can't control the officiating. Just can't. It sucks, I get it and I'm 100% as frustrated as the rest of you guys. But JB, the players, the fans - none of us can control it. What we can control is cutting down on our errors and continuing to execute and improve. As biased as the officiating seemed to have been, our team had a very good chance to win in regulation - I think that speaks a lot about this team.

OttoMets said:
College basketball is trash. This is like professional wrestling. Among the many, how about Cooney getting mowed down on Gbinije's last inbound turnover and Gbinije being shoved out of bounds as he tried to recover? And the Rakeem Christmas Story?

Excellent analogy. I refuse to watch that atrocity. May have to give up on SU ball if this continues.

I felt nova might have been the better team in the second half, they didn't give anybody but joseph a clean jumpshot the entire second half quite a feat.

These other teams play handchecking man to man and get away with it we play double team the paint and get whisted for baye keita ghost fouls. Other teams plow sholder first into us in the paint and get away with it, yet we can't even throw a pass to somebody who isn't being bodied and handchecked before recieving it.

I saw 2 whistles today that were blown atleast 4 feet before the contact was even made. were not allowed to play physical zone, but m2ms physicallity has no limits with the body, stick your head in and kiss our guy if we swing the ball to put it on the floor we get blown for a T.

Last edited:
Even Nova fans know the officiating was a joke :bang:...

PhirePhil2015
Post #47
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
Re: Nova -10 lock of the weekendReply
Refs just saved us!!! Thank God. I didn't want to lose to Syracuse and thankfully they let us play our murder D at the end.
12/20 3:24 PM | IP: Logged

Today was the first time the thought actually crossed my mind that I might not want to watch games anymore.

I know a lot of people dislike the NBA, but I've been watching more and more of it. They had a ref problem and an ugly period and cleaned it up. The NCAA could learn something from them.

If we had our share of jumpshots the 2nd half we could say we shot ourselves to a loss, but all this handchecking and bodying 25 feet out, hands on the ball handler does not let you enjoy any offense at all.

They were certainly aggressively undercutting our players, if that's what you mean. And why not -- with the one-sided officiating of 27 fouls on us, and 17 on them (more than a 50% margin). Those are pretty slanted numbers, and the one ref with the white hair had our guys pinned with phantom calls. Our bigs were disappearing faster than stadium hot dogs the second half.

not sure you can even count the number of travels nova committed in the lane today but the killer non call after the last steal really hurt.

The one where Pinkston started with his foot easily a foot + outside the semi-circle and after all the twisting and spins had both feet inside the protected circle was truly a thing of beauty.

If he would have kept spinning I'm sure he could have dragged that foot another 2 feet without a call.

So many obvious missed travels, and we get called for two early that were the same, if not less noticeable......what a sham.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom