Toledo AD makes "unprecedented" request that Rockets be awarded victory | Syracusefan.com

Toledo AD makes "unprecedented" request that Rockets be awarded victory

Bortukal

All Conference
"TOLEDO, OH - University of Toledo athletic director Mike O'Brien said on Sunday that he has made a formal written request to Mid-American Conference Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher asking that he request the Big East Conference to vacate Syracuse's 33-30 overtime win over Toledo on Saturday and award the victory to the Rockets."

http://www.utrockets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18000&ATCLID=205288884

Boohoo. Tell you what: We'll give you the PAT if you give us the TD Lemon would've scored if he hadn't been bumped.

He's NOT asking for the victory. "Vacated" means neither team won or lost.

He's NOT asking for the victory. "Vacated" means neither team won or lost.

In the press release, O'Brien states: "I requested of our Mid-American Conference commissioner, Jon Steinbrecher, that he contact the Big East Conference relative to yesterday's UT-Syracuse game, and ask that the win be vacated and awarded to the University of Toledo."

"TOLEDO, OH - University of Toledo athletic director Mike O'Brien said on Sunday that he has made a formal written request to Mid-American Conference Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher asking that he request the Big East Conference to vacate Syracuse's 33-30 overtime win over Toledo on Saturday and award the victory to the Rockets."
Boohoo. Tell you what: We'll give you the PAT if you give us the TD Lemon would've scored if he hadn't been bumped.

So he is ignoring the fact that Toledo had first and goal with two timeouts and couldn't punch it in and the fact that they couldn't score in OT and in fact threw an int. Nor could they prevent SU from scoring in OT.

All of that in addition to predicting SU's defensive strategy had we been up by only 2 instead of 3

If the error had occured on the final play of the game he might have a point...but Toledo had two separate chances to win the game after the missed call and couldn't do it. Nor could they stop SU in OT. So now he wants to have all of that thrown out for something that happened earlier...something that didn't guarantee an SU victory in the first place.

Dave makes another good point also, which hasn't been talked about much. Why did the BE even come out and say the refs blew it? I know it is very rare for a conference of any sport to come out and say their refs were wrong, but the few times I have seen it, it seems like it was due to rules interpretation. There are blown calls on the field all the time and I would wager there have even been blown calls after a review upstairs too.

Like Dave mentions other fans have asked, I am 99% certain the BE released that statement only because of how pissed they are about SU leaving. We will be the bad guys from here on out and will have to put up with crap until we get out.

Realistically Toledo asked this because it's obvious the Big East is run by a bunch of 14 year old girls upset their BFF doesn't want to hang with them anymore, and figured what the he'll, maybe they'll be juvenile enough to award us a victory. Part of me hopes the idiots in Providence do it - they probably think they'll be hailed as visionaries when they'll actually get killed in the media, and Syracuse will stop being pounded on since the Orange will victims of an unprofessional organization. My guess is that it would still end up counting towards a bowl, Syracuse will still count it as a win, and all that will happen is the BE leadership shows what a collection of clowns they really are.

Realistically Toledo asked this because it's obvious the Big East is run by a bunch of 14 year old girls upset their BFF doesn't want to hang with them anymore, and figured what the he'll, maybe they'll be juvenile enough to award us a victory. Part of me hopes the idiots in Providence do it - they probably think they'll be hailed as visionaries when they'll actually get killed in the media, and Syracuse will stop being pounded on since the Orange will victims of an unprofessional organization. My guess is that it would still end up counting towards a bowl, Syracuse will still count it as a win, and all that will happen is the BE leadership shows what a collection of clowns they really are.
They won't grant the request simply because it would set a troublesome precedent. Before you know it, you'd see schools going to court to decide games.

Yes, I would like that TD for Lemon - as bad a PI non-call as I have ever seen.

Bees

SU should ask that the illegal forward pass be reviewed by the Big East office. The QB threw the ball a yard past the LOS. The refs said that the ball was thrown 3 yards past. The replay shows it was one yard past when he released and then he fell forward two yards. The play went to the booth and they did not overturn the spot. Thus Toledo had 2nd and 12 from the SU 48 instead of 2nd and 14 from the 50. If the next two plays were the same (which you cannot assume) then Toledo has a 54 yard FG instead of a 52.

In addition Toledo's last FG hit the net with 2 seconds left. Why were they not forced to kick it off before OT.

On top of that the rules say that there needs to be indisputable video evidence. Sine there are two angles and one appears to be a good PAT, you have to by rule go with the call on the field. So by rule Toledo has no case.

Classless.

While he's at it, he should ask for a "do-over" for that final drive against Ohio State.

They won't grant the request simply because it would set a troublesome precedent. Before you know it, you'd see schools going to court to decide games.

The fact I think it might happen should give an idea how little respect I have for the professionalism and competence of the ass clowns in Providence. SOOOOOO glad to be getting out of this sheet-show...

Breaking News: St. Louis Cardinals have petitioned Major League Baseball to award them the 1985 World Series after it has been confirmed that Don Denkinger made awful call at first base and allowed the Kansas City Royals to win game 6 of the World Series and subsequently game 7 as well. The Cardinals want the championship awarded because the Cardinals would have won the game without the incorrect call.
Also, the 1990 Missouri Tigers are asking the Big 12 to award them a victory over the Colorado Buffaloes after the refs awarded Colorado a 5th down. The 5th down which allowed Colorado to win 33-31 also allowed the Buffaloes to win a share of the 1990 National Championship. Georgia Tech as a result wants to be awarded the full 1990 National Championship.

This AD is a joke, however with how pissed Marinatto and co. are with us anything is possible with these dunces.

The Detroit Tigers are asking for the perfect game that was denied following a missed call at first base with two outs in the final inning.

Jeff Maier says hello.

The Detroit Tigers are asking for the perfect game that was denied following a missed call at first base with two outs in the final inning.

Exactly, and a lot of people here argued for the Tigers...now the shoe is on the other foot.

Well if it's up to Marinatto we're out a win.

No one from Toledo seems to understand that if everything happened as is, Syracuse had 2 timeouts left. So when they had 1st and goal, we use our timeouts and get the ball back with a minute or a little less left on the clock. Who knows what happens then? We could return a kickoff all the way (were close a few times). We could get a return to midfield or further and only need 1-2 completions to be in range, then we kick the winner anyway and we never have overtime. Point is, you can't assume everything would've happened exactly the same because Marrone would've used the timeouts to make sure we got another possession.

If for some reason the Big East did honor this request, then SU would have the legal opportunity to get out of the Big East sooner because the Big East would be breaking their fiduciary duties they owe to their conference members. I would do the legal brief and pro bono the legal research on the case to get us out of the Big East ASAP.

Here is the progression of the SU lost argument.

SU wins after a poorly called game for both teams.

Advocates who want SU to lose including some SU fans... "But they should not have counted the extra point :blah: :blah:"

Everyone else ... "Here we go again - calls went both ways all game ..." :bang: :bang:

Response by advocates who want SU to lose including some SU fans... "But they should not have counted the extra point :blah: :blah:"

Everyone else ... "OMFG - just already, we don't care" :bang: :bang:

Seriously, take your argument to the old scout board and have fun with the trolls from all the other schools who've taken over.

Exactly, and a lot of people here argued for the Tigers...now the shoe is on the other foot.

That is different. A MLB team can protest and replay a game. It is within the rules and has been done in the past. That has never happened and isn't an option in FB.

Val Pinchback SID SU 1961:Two of the officials noted an error had been made: The Big 10 and ECAC said the Officials made an error but had no authority to change the score. Syracuse AD Lew Andreas wanted ND to concede the Victory! Notre Dame 17 SU 15 Walt Sweeney 0. Guess what 50 Years later the score is still the same.
I listened to that Game on my Grams Philco radio .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom