Tom Jurich told the Big East in Oct. 2011 that Louisville was withdrawing from the Big East | Syracusefan.com

Tom Jurich told the Big East in Oct. 2011 that Louisville was withdrawing from the Big East

Alsacs

Living Legend
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...m-jurich-saves-4-million-louisville-cardinals
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...m-jurich-saves-4-million-louisville-cardinals

Louisville AD Tom Jurich gambled that the Cardinals would be chosen by the Big XII over West Virginia, and told John Marianatto of Louisville's 27 month notice as required by the Big East bylaws. When the Big XII eventually chose West Virginia over Louisville the Cardinals were technically screwed because the Big XII chose WVU and Louisville could have been screwed. However, because Maryland left the ACC and Louisville had given notice then went balls out to out-maneuver UConn and when Jurich gave notice a year earlier he was able to leverage the AAC exit from 15 million to 11 million and saved Louisville 4 million. How much of that 4 million do you think he will ask for as a bonus.

I hope there is some fine print that keeps Buttgers in that failed league until 2015. That would be awesome.

Like maybe you have to remain one extra year for every year that you collected a check without contributing anything.

Jurich is an impressive AD. I'm surprised Texas didn't at least put out feelers to get him from Louisville.

Jurich is an impressive AD. I'm surprised Texas didn't at least put out feelers to get him from Louisville.

Agreed. Certainly a better choice than Luck.

Maybe Jurich did turn Texas down preemptively in 2009 telling them when they offer him in 2013 he won't be interested.

I hope there is some fine print that keeps Buttgers in that failed league until 2015. That would be awesome.

Like maybe you have to remain one extra year for every year that you collected a check without contributing anything.

Rutgers would have to stay till 2027. And that's assuming they contribute going forward.

if that was true wouldn't UL have gotten out for free. Could be mistaken but that the bylaws said 27 month notice no exit fee.

From what the Louisville folks say on their board, Jurich has a super sweetheart deal with them and he'll never have to put up with anywhere near the heartburn he would get as the AD at the U of Beevo. The only open question as far as they are concerned is where will they put his statue.

if that was true wouldn't UL have gotten out for free. Could be mistaken but that the bylaws said 27 month notice no exit fee.

That seems right. Making the story suspect.

I think with the 27-month notice, you still had to pay the exit fee, which the Old Big East raised to $15M in response to the exits of SU and Pitt (much like they raised the fee from $1M to $5M after BC left).

Was going to say they're stuck for a while in this case, but ozcuse beat me to it.