Tommy Devito 2-Minute Drill | Ohio | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy Devito 2-Minute Drill | Ohio

I don't get the fascination with Morgan by a couple here. He looked okay and is clearly ahead right now, but I'm betting on Lamson as the future.

I don't get the fascination with a kid who played one year of HS QB. I haven't seen him to really formulate an opinion but from his tape I think he's a bit raw.

My thoughts on Morgan isn't so much a fascination, rather to me he looks like the best of the young QBs on the roster. I've seen him actually play. Throws a sweet ball and has good instincts. Seems calm cool and collected to.

But...as with most fans the favorite player is the backup QB.

Last edited:
Yeah, the quote was something like “he’s the kind of kid who gets an entire staff fired” or something to that effect.

Ooofa.

All that said - he’s literally DONE NOTHING in football since leaving, but somehow he was gonna be our QB savior vs P5/ACC level competition??

Re-read Dungey's quotes about Tommy and the rest of the QB room:

"Tommy is a great quarterback," Dungey said, "but the thing about Tommy is he hasn't played in a game yet. It's one thing to do 7-on-7, but that's like saying you're good at Madden and you can play in the NFL. It's a totally different world."

On Amie:

"I think the kid from Texas," Dungey said, "is going to be the best out of group. He's got that mindset, too. He's not scared. He's got a cannon, fast. He's just got to learn the offense. I think he's really going to take off."

On Rex:

"Rex has shown what he can do," Dungey said of his roommate. "He played in Louisville, which was the worst weather you can imagine against a really good defense, but I've just seen what Rex can do, and I know Rex's mindset. Rex is like me. He's probably more wild just in the sense of him fishing, hunting, doing all this stuff, cliff-jumping. He's got that mentality, and he's not scared of anything. He's a beast."

Not posting those to prove Chance was McNabb 2.0.

Reading his comments about QBs not playing scared and seeing what happened to Tommy behind a craptastic OL makes me think he was probably dead on about the QBs on the roster back then.

Re-read Dungey's quotes about Tommy and the rest of the QB room:

"Tommy is a great quarterback," Dungey said, "but the thing about Tommy is he hasn't played in a game yet. It's one thing to do 7-on-7, but that's like saying you're good at Madden and you can play in the NFL. It's a totally different world."

On Amie:

"I think the kid from Texas," Dungey said, "is going to be the best out of group. He's got that mindset, too. He's not scared. He's got a cannon, fast. He's just got to learn the offense. I think he's really going to take off."

On Rex:

"Rex has shown what he can do," Dungey said of his roommate. "He played in Louisville, which was the worst weather you can imagine against a really good defense, but I've just seen what Rex can do, and I know Rex's mindset. Rex is like me. He's probably more wild just in the sense of him fishing, hunting, doing all this stuff, cliff-jumping. He's got that mentality, and he's not scared of anything. He's a beast."

Not posting those to prove Chance was McNabb 2.0.

Reading his comments about QBs not playing scared and seeing what happened to Tommy behind a craptastic OL makes me think he was probably dead on about the QBs on the roster back then.
Talk about prescient.

I'm waiting for the "we haven't been this loaded at QB in years!" comment, which I think has been made every year since 2002.

Talk about prescient.

I'm waiting for the "we haven't been this loaded at QB in years!" comment, which I think has been made every year since 2002.
Maybe others have said it, but I have never said or thought Cuse was loaded at QB.

Here's to having a first time for everything:
Syracuse seems like it might be loaded at QB this year.

Yeah, the quote was something like “he’s the kind of kid who gets an entire staff fired” or something to that effect.

Ooofa.

All that said - he’s literally DONE NOTHING in football since leaving, but somehow he was gonna be our QB savior vs P5/ACC level competition??
Maybe had the skills but not the work ethic or maturity to develop those skills.
Can be extremely talented but if missing the work ethic or mental aspects to improve it does not matter.
DB kind of discussed that aspect of player development in his last press conference.

As Belichik said when he released Cam Newton: "Dependability is sometimes more important than ability."

This line is going to be good to very good, as noted the starters are all older guys, (men vs boys) and the back ups are either physically imposing. (Ellis and Bradford), or have experience (Tisdale and Ilaoa).

Devito is 23, that makes a difference. If he has adequate protection he is going to be contending with Howell and Jurkovec for best passer in the ACC.

This line is going to be good to very good, as noted the starters are all older guys, (men vs boys) and the back ups are either physically imposing. (Ellis and Bradford), or have experience (Tisdale and Ilaoa).

Devito is 23, that makes a difference. If he has adequate protection he is going to be contending with Howell and Jurkovec for best passer in the ACC.
Oline to be very good? Hold on …..
2921CABF-FAFB-4AF9-B01A-F86585EE1DBE.gif

I certainly believe the line with some older guys back, new talent from the pacific, a full offseason and a new oline coach can certainly allow for some higher expectations but “very good”? If they can go from one of the worst in P5 to say middle of the pack that would still be an excellent outcome. Happy to eat crow on this as well, just not sure why we need to have them skip 5 levels to very good. Doesn’t feel reasonable from an expectation standpoint. That said I hope the whole offense picks it up a notch, they need to and it sounds like they have something to prove. Thats good….their hungry and want to go out as winners. I think they will play well enough to do that.

I think the offense is gonna look kind of similar to years past at the start of the season ...some fits and starts ...but gradually grow into its new identity by game 5 or 6.

Let's roll

Oline to be very good? Hold on …..
View attachment 205395

I certainly believe the line with some older guys back, new talent from the pacific, a full offseason and a new oline coach can certainly allow for some higher expectations but “very good”? If they can go from one of the worst in P5 to say middle of the pack that would still be an excellent outcome. Happy to eat crow on this as well, just not sure why we need to have them skip 5 levels to very good. Doesn’t feel reasonable from an expectation standpoint. That said I hope the whole offense picks it up a notch, they need to and it sounds like they have something to prove. Thats good….their hungry and want to go out as winners. I think they will play well enough to do that.
How good would they have been last year were it not for the act-of-god injuries?

I was being told by people from camp that year that Amie was blowing people away. The Dungey quote came out shortly thereafter. It’s too bad, we’ve had too many situations where QB’s didn’t work out over the last 10 years. Here’s some that I was excited about anyway…

Johnny Miller - who I loved
Broyld
Mitch Kimble (Dungey’d)
AJ Long
Akin Edouard
Womack
That’s just QB…
Man I forgot all about Miller. What ever happened to him.

Really thought Broyld would be ideal.

How good would they have been last year were it not for the act-of-god injuries?
Hard to know. Allot of variables go into it. If you look through a lens of prior performance and then allow for a factor of what could have been a reasonable uptick in performance expectations from the prior year you could maybe frame a range? QB play, RB play, WR play, Defensive looks, etc go into it though. For the sake of providing a measure, I believe Syracuse was ranked around 122 in pass protection/sacks last year. That's out of 130 schools I believe. The year prior they were 118. Going off memory here so I may be off by a slot or two. So based on those rankings, if Syracuse this year performed better and made it to 80 let's say that would be a great jump in performance but a rank of 80 is not necessarily a good slot to be out of again 130. To me a very good line would jump Syracuse into top 30 territory. Listen if they play very good, that's great...no argument from me. I guess I try to calibrate my expectations a bit is all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom