Tommy Devito Looking forward to his playing this year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy Devito Looking forward to his playing this year

I read the (edited) thread title and thought, "Oh no - he's caught 3rd person disease."

Tommy DeVito is looking forward to Tommy DeVito playing this year.

tumblr_na2kyydzBy1suzl23o1_250.gif

Nassib in 2012.
If the OL performs well, I think TD has a great chance to break that record.

Some might want to temper expectations, however, because I think we'll be a run first team next season. There is a ton of talent in the backfield and many of the projected new OLmen are road graders.

Agreed. Their play-calling down the stretch was bizarre.

Exactly. That third-down bootleg pass, although not covered well by us, was a needless risk when a run would have picked up the critical first down.

Not to minimize TD’s play, but we don’t win that game without UNC’s help.
It's all relative. Every team at some point during the year, has an opponent help them out in some way or another. Just glad it happened in that game.

Normally, I'd agree. I think this is where tempo gives TD a bump. Same reason why TD could get some records.
Yeah and the dome helps but that receiving core is insane

Yeah and the dome helps but that receiving core is insane
Yepp. Clemson was good for 10 more passing yards per game, last year. Bama, a bit more. We ran almost 140 more plays than Clemson, 170 more than 'bama. I think a more traditional pocket passer, is going to throw for a bit more in this offense.

Who throws for more yards? Tua, Trevor, or TD? I'm going TD.
Tua. We're going to run the ball a lot. Probably more than last year.

Debating if we gonna run or throw ? Nice problem to have !
We should do both although I expect a bit more run with Davis and Adams at 341 albeit when they start running they may lighten up a bit. Run as u know will open Tommy up to better passing. I can’t help but be excited.

Tua. We're going to run the ball a lot. Probably more than last year.
Tua is probably the right answer. Significantly higher execution, last year. If gbo is correct, and Clemson relies on the ground more, I see no reason why TD couldn't surpass Trevor.

Less scrambles, higher execution , screens, check downs, and I think our passing yards go up. It'll be interesting to compare that stat for those 3. I think we'll be in that conversation.

I have a lot of faith in TD to be able to get the ball to the right people in the correct way and at the right time. The key to me is how he handles failure or frustration because the talent is there. QB's with short memories that can learn/adjust as the game goes on are the ones that are the next level QB's. TD seems to be a student of the game and adding that to his talent is a very thing for SU to have taking snaps.

Knowing the opposing D from film study and watching their patterns on X or Y or Z. I think TD can do this and if he can get his WR's in the spots and hit them...they will have success and the cohesiveness of the passing game will start hitting on all cylinders and be the passing game DB wants to see.

It's not impressive, don't know it off the top of my head.

Even though we've spent decades in a Dome we've rarely emphasized the passing game.

Oh also we had incredible receivers during a lot of that time.

I used to get so impatient watching those mid-late 90s games against teams like Pitt, Rutgers, Temple, where we were clearly going to overpower the opponent and win easily, so we’d just hand it off to Kyle McIntosh or something every play, and McNabb would get to throw about 10 times.

I used to get so impatient watching those mid-late 90s games against teams like Pitt, Rutgers, Temple, where we were clearly going to overpower the opponent and win easily, so we’d just hand it off to Kyle McIntosh or something every play, and McNabb would get to throw about 10 times.

I get that (I remember it!), but I am hopeful that we continue to focus on pace of play. This provides more total plays (pass and run), and I think necessitates a little more passing to keep teams off balance. I think ~30 or so passes per game might be a base number if the running game is strong. But we then could easily adjust to what the defense is giving us (sorry for the overused cliche), and gain chunks of yards either way. I can't imaging we would go from an exciting brand to a dull, old-school Northeast style of football. That...would be disappointing, and I don't think it would be self-sustaining because we wouldn't be that "different" any longer.

Im one of Tommy’s most excited fans but I think the record we may break this year is the ACC record for rushing touchdowns.

Tommy’s got 3 years to make his mark all over the university, conference and so on record books.

I get that (I remember it!), but I am hopeful that we continue to focus on pace of play. This provides more total plays (pass and run), and I think necessitates a little more passing to keep teams off balance. I think ~30 or so passes per game might be a base number if the running game is strong. But we then could easily adjust to what the defense is giving us (sorry for the overused cliche), and gain chunks of yards either way. I can't imaging we would go from an exciting brand to a dull, old-school Northeast style of football. That...would be disappointing, and I don't think it would be self-sustaining because we wouldn't be that "different" any longer.

I’m not worried in the least about our offense. Dino gets it.

Just thinking of how our record is only 24 passing TDs in a season.

McNabb was way ahead of his time. In these “modern” offenses, his numbers would be insane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom