Tonight is an example of where streaming fails | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tonight is an example of where streaming fails

Haha the answer to this issue isn't "grab your ipad!" "hook your laptop up to a second screen!"

Streaming services don't work together so they don't care about the user experience when it comes to switching between Amazon Prime to YTTV or Prime to Cable or etc etc

It's certainly a first world problem and there's modern work arounds above -- but doesn't mean it's not a pain.

I would much rather a network got thursday night games than a standalone streaming service

This sounds a great idea. Can I ask for a breakdown of the parts you Used for the build.

Sure. You can use any cpu with an integrated graphics card (AMD, Intel) or if you also want to game you can purchase a separate graphics card. If you don't want to the pc to be seen I would suggest getting a Mini-ITX motherboard and case, SFX power supply, I would suggest getting at least 16gb of ram, low profile cpu cooler, good quality hdmi cable, bluetoth keyboard/mouse combo, you can use wifi but I would suggest getting it wired with an ethernet cable if possible. For my specific parts I am using:

Intel i5 12400
Asrock Z690M-ITX/AX
TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 3600MHz (PC4-28800)
WD Black 1TB SN770
EVGA SuperNOVA 450 GM SFX PSU
Noctua NH-L9i-17xx chromax.Black, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler for Intel LGA1700 (Black)
SUGO 16 Mini-ITX cube chassis with all steel construction
Logitech K600 Keyboard with touchpad.

Last edited:
Question because of what I do in life, would you be more willing to pick up additional services if you could use them all in the same app? Like if you could choose the streams all in one guide like cable, or is it just the frustration with mounting costs?
I only got fubo so I could catch college football, gone in December.

Disney plus is for the kids.

Hulu / Netflix? One of them is going soon.

I just dumped ESPN plus - totally useless to me at this point.

Only got paramount plus, again, for the kids.

Don't feel like adding Prime now for other sports.

I use Amazon but not enough where I feel like paying for prime membership.

ESPn+ would be the last thing for me to go.

between baseball/fball/bball/hockey/lax it is used more than the rest combined and for the cost it cant be beat.

Only streaming I pay for is ESPN Plus but that comes with HULU and Disney Plus which is only $14.99 a month which is super worth it to me.

For fall football, it's usually 3+ TVs on the deck.
Firestick for 3. Apps: YouTubeTV, ESPN, CBS Sports
If we need more TVs out there we also have 2 Rokus and an AppleTV.

Once its too cold (December/January?) it's 2 or 3 TVs in the living room.

We host several events each year (Florida vs. Georgia, FBS Championship (and semis), SuperBowl, NCAA hoops championship, etc.) and it always works out.

Thing could get interesting this November & December with the World Cup thrown into the mix.

The issue is right now you have fball/mlb and thats 5-10 tvs worth on the weekends.. Then you have to add in soccer and horse racing and thats hat 3-4 more.. streaming fails when you get up to more than that and add in ESPN once it sees more than 2-3 logins to an account starts to throw fits.

pretty soon you have to add in hockey and good for me I dont watch the NBA.

Sure. You can use any cpu with an integrated graphics card (AMD, Intel) or if you also want to game you can purchase a separate graphics card. If you don't want to the pc to be seen I would suggest getting a Mini-ITX motherboard and case, SFX power supply, I would suggest getting at least 16gb of ram, low profile cpu cooler, good quality hdmi cable, bluetoth keyboard/mouse combo, you can use wifi but I would suggest getting it wired with an ethernet cable if possible. For my specific parts I am using:

Intel i5 12400
Asrock Z690M-ITX/AX
TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 3600MHz (PC4-28800)
WD Black 1TB SN770
EVGA SuperNOVA 450 GM SFX PSU
Noctua NH-L9i-17xx chromax.Black, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler for Intel LGA1700 (Black)
SUGO 16 Mini-ITX cube chassis with all steel construction
Logitech K600 Keyboard with touchpad.
Up the RAM for multi-threaded buffering use NVMe M.2 for the storage instead and now you've got something. You could literally install multiple video cards and stream in parallel from multiple apps to separate displays :)

Up the RAM for multi-threaded buffering use NVMe M.2 for the storage instead and now you've got something. You could literally install multiple video cards and stream in parallel from multiple apps to separate displays :)
I have 32gb myself but like I said would at least have 16. Also the drive I listed is a m.2 NVMe SSD.

I have 32gb myself but like I said would at least have 16. Also the drive I listed is a m.2 NVMe SSD.
Nice ... I confused it with their NAS spinning rust version "Blue"

Don't forget - you can buy an HDMI cable and connect the laptop stream to your TV set. I have computers connected to every TV in my house, and we can watch literally anything, anywhere.
That doesn't always work. I got a fubo trial for the Louisville game and it wouldn't let me hook my laptop to my TV with an hdmi cable. I watched it on the laptop, which was ok, but I would've preferred my TV.

That's the advantage of streaming you don't need a TV
Laptop
Desktop
Cell Phone
Tablet
I don't don't think I know anyone that doesn't have at least two plus of those combo of devices in their house
I don't understand not having/wanting a TV. Why would I want to watch something on a screen a fraction of the size of the old console TV I grew up with, and why would I want to have to hold onto it the whole time I'm watching? Give me an 80 inch screen hanging on a wall any day.

DirectStream from AT&T is a streaming service with the DirectTV menuing and feel … works like a champ
How does stuff like espn+ and peacock and Amazon and Netflix integrate? If I’m streaming on espn+, can I flip to fs1 and then move to peacock easily? That’s the part that’s super choppy now.

I’m checking out the product now. Super confusing to figure out true price and there are some channels missing that I’d want .

It’s interesting how all this is evolving, though.

Say you are an NFL/Mets fan with 1 tv in the living room.. years ago you could have switched back and forth watching both games.. Now you have to open and change apps 50 times..

Not a me issue but it sure would have pissed off my Dad if he was still around.

My Oldest kids are nascar/bills fans. just trying to change channels on Youtube tv frustrates them let alone if the app requires changing.
I switch back and forth between HDMI1 and HDMI2. It works fine. Having the games on streaming services in the first place is another issue. A sports talk show in NYC was lamenting earlier this week about Yankees games coming up that are on AppleTV and Prime. If you don't have those, you might miss Judge make history. It's not what you want.

Last edited:
I don't understand not having/wanting a TV. Why would I want to watch something on a screen a fraction of the size of the old console TV I grew up with, and why would I want to have to hold onto it the whole time I'm watching? Give me an 80 inch screen hanging on a wall any day.
I never said not to have one. I’m talking about it being no problem to stream multiple games at once.
I’ll always have a big TV to watch on and then if something else is streaming I can set a backup tv, computer, tablet, or even cell phone up to watch it.
Never ever did I advocate to not have a TV.

Watching any sporting event on a 2x3 cellphone screen should be outlawed.
I never would just stating there a TON of options to watch two streaming events at once. That’s all.

I work in tech and football is by far the sport the techies I work with follow the most.. Of the lets say 8-10 of them that we talk football with, not one of them has 2 tvs in their TV room and none of them watch Tv and then stream on another device. they think I am nuts cause i have 5-6-7 Tvs in my TV room going at a time.. But if I had a to watch a 2nd game on a laptop or cell phone while watching one on TV I wouldnt do it. Those are for when stranded in a car or at a game.

Partly though for me is that I watch Tv without glasses and I have to use glasses to see half of whats on my phone. My phone is for betting not streaming..
I work in tech also and don’t have many folks to talk football but one sets up 9 different TVs each Sunday lol.

How does stuff like espn+ and peacock and Amazon and Netflix integrate? If I’m streaming on espn+, can I flip to fs1 and then move to peacock easily? That’s the part that’s super choppy now.

I’m checking out the product now. Super confusing to figure out true price and there are some channels missing that I’d want .

It’s interesting how all this is evolving, though.
You get 1 unit which is android based and can download and jump between them

That's the advantage of streaming you don't need a TV
Laptop
Desktop
Cell Phone
Tablet
I don't don't think I know anyone that doesn't have at least two plus of those combo of devices in their house

Yeah, but I want to see the game on a big screen. So just connect your device and use your TV as the monitor.

Yeah, but I want to see the game on a big screen. So just connect your device and use your TV as the monitor.
yeah totally agree
again was just stating with streaming it's not OMG I NEED A TV
you can watch it on other devices

Say you are an NFL/Mets fan with 1 tv in the living room.. years ago you could have switched back and forth watching both games.. Now you have to open and change apps 50 times..

My Oldest kids are nascar/bills fans. just trying to change channels on Youtube tv frustrates them let alone if the app requires changing.
One on the laptop and one on the main screen. Only way to roll these days.

Amazon doesn't know what they're doing, when you stream live so infrequently, you're bound to screw it up. Was clear from the random baseball broadcasts that they'd fail