Tony Barnhart | Syracusefan.com

Tony Barnhart

sabach

All American
on his radio show today said that there are some in the ACC who are doing everything they can to keep UConn out of the ACC. And, those people who are trying to keep UConn out are basketball people.

on his radio show today said that there are some in the ACC who are doing everything they can to keep UConn out of the ACC. And, those people who are trying to keep UConn out are basketball people.

As opposed to much of the nonsense that floats around the net on "expansion", this seems to make some sense.

It's bad enough they now have SU and Pitt to contend with, they reason. We (The ACC) had to add two teams to trigger the negotiation clause in the TV contract.

But adding UConn is too much.

Maryland and GT can see themselves placing no better than 6th in the new ACC.

I would think that group includes BC, but most certainly not SU... SU definitely wants UCONN in for hoops... Too good of a rivalry to pass up. With them the conference has Duke/UNC and UCONN/SU... That's incredible!

I would think that group includes BC, but most certainly not SU... SU definitely wants UCONN in for hoops... Too good of a rivalry to pass up. With them the conference has Duke/UNC and UCONN/SU... That's incredible!

For the life of me I don't get this from anyone's perspective. I mean, you only have 13 schollies. If UConn flops, someone else will take it's place and become the next UConn. In the meantime, you have a chance to add a ridiculously good hoops program that fits in with what you want to do geographically and adds legitimacy to your hoops league (not that you need it, per se, but it doesn't hurt). Plus, the power brokers like Duke and UNC could still set up the divisions such that the UConn effect in terms of wins and losses would be minimal.

I guess I'm just too old school. I love this rivalry and hate to see it left behind (the rivalry, not UConn or Calhoun so much).

I said this when all the "UConn to the ACC" stuff started. Most ACC schools view UConn as a dirty program and want no part of it. If the ACC doesn't take UConn and the Big East dies then UConn dies with it since they have no other potential buyers. Why would the ACC throw them a life raft?

My guess is BC and Duke are some of the people. Duke is the kind of school that would raise an issue with UCONN IMHO.

My guess is that SU and Pitt don't get a vote.

As opposed to much of the nonsense that floats around the net on "expansion", this seems to make some sense.

It's bad enough they now have SU and Pitt to contend with, they reason. We (The ACC) had to add two teams to trigger the negotiation clause in the TV contract.

But adding UConn is too much.

Maryland and GT can see themselves placing no better than 6th in the new ACC.

Well that, and how much baggage off the court do you really want to deal with? Not like the new ACC programs are all perfectly clean, or without a few ghosts in their closet, but seems like UConn is on a whole different level. Their football dilutes the product. Where's the upside?

Notre Dame isn't going to the ACC. So no one else is. If Mizzou went B1G, their 14th spot will be kept warm for ND.

So far, this is shaping up as well as one (who wants a better football program) could hope.

SU can continue to play UConn as a rival if both sides want.

The ACC doesn't need it.

there is no need to go to 16 teams for any conference with the Big 12 hanging around now. Short of Penn St or ND, why add anyone right now? Makes zero sense

And why would anyone want UCONN? Yes their Bball program is strong and their FB program is decent and slightly better than ours currently but with Pasqualoni that won't last long. It's a dirty bball program, their woman's bball program is a bully program and unlikable in every way possible. They went after the ACC bigtime in 2003, they aren't going to the ACC unless they buy their way in somehow or someway. And even then I don't see it happening

Wouldn't bother me one bit to see Uconn sink into oblivion. This only benefits Syracuse...when Uconn falls those recruits will look at going to SU more. Why do you want to "help" a hated rival?? Let them sink.

My guess is BC and Duke are some of the people. Duke is the kind of school that would raise an issue with UCONN IMHO.
Don't forget-Calhoun has had Coach K's number in big games between them

Wouldn't bother me one bit to see Uconn sink into oblivion. This only benefits Syracuse...when Uconn falls those recruits will look at going to SU more. Why do you want to "help" a hated rival?? Let them sink.

I disagree wholeheartedly with this. First of all, there is nothing I like better than a legit rivalry. It's fun. I can't stand the thought of having to build this whole history again with a completely new group of teams and programs. It will happen I suppose. But I don't understand why anyone doesn't enjoy playing a really good team that you truly can't stand with a coach that drives you insane.

And I'm sure UConn sinking would help us to some degree but I really don't think there is anywhere near the direct effect people think there is. I also don't see UConn sinking regardless.

Am I missing something here? Wasn't Coach K quoted as saying he wants the ACC to expand to 16

"taking two more schools that have comparable rich basketball traditions and are in the Eastern time zone"?

I have to think he was referring to UConn as one of those schools. Unless, of course, the ACC is going for a partial hybrid with Nova and G'Town. :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Neil

I disagree wholeheartedly with this. First of all, there is nothing I like better than a legit rivalry. It's fun. I can't stand the thought of having to build this whole history again with a completely new group of teams and programs. It will happen I suppose. But I don't understand why anyone doesn't enjoy playing a really good team that you truly can't stand with a coach that drives you insane.

And I'm sure UConn sinking would help us to some degree but I really don't think there is anywhere near the direct effect people think there is. I also don't see UConn sinking regardless.

Depends which sport you're talking about. What football rivalries do we have that can't be replaced in, say, 5 minutes? We've played UConn for 7 straight years, I can't think of one that was memorable. We had to beg the fans to come watch a Rutgers game. USF, Cincy, Louisville...blech, blah, poop. That leaves Pitt (stays), WVU (kinda stinks but their sour grapes AD has me saying f em).

Return of BC, VT, Miami in some form, may not each be annual. But those games were a million times more interesting than the first 5 BE schools I mentioned.

For hoops, yeah, I get that the rivalries with UConn, Nova, G'town, etc. take a hit. But we're still going to play G'Town, will probably schedule the others. Keep the Pitt rivalry there, will gain a Maryland rivalry. Some matchups with Duke, UNC. None of these need much buildup.

Any 3 star and above football kids considering Rutgers, UConn, Syracuse are going to need a compelling reason not to take the Syracuse route. Every day is a new day that the Big East might die. Good luck selling that.

For hoops, yeah, I get that the rivalries with UConn, Nova, G'town, etc. take a hit. But we're still going to play G'Town, will probably schedule the others. Keep the Pitt rivalry there, will gain a Maryland rivalry. Some matchups with Duke, UNC. None of these need much buildup.

Any 3 star and above football kids considering Rutgers, UConn, Syracuse are going to need a compelling reason not to take the Syracuse route. Every day is a new day that the Big East might die. Good luck selling that.

Sorry, should have been more clear. I'm talking almost exclusively about hoops here -- though I don't mind the RU rivalry in football in that Schiano is a perfect villain, their "success" is almost directly due to our failures and the school is close enough that there are legit turf wars for recruiting.

But generally, I'm just talking about hoops. I think UConn could survive as long as Calhoun is there and, even then, his replacement would take over a program with a pretty legit reputation. I agree that UMD intrigues me as a rivalry but it's going to be a pain in the a$$ getting to college park for games vs. metroing to china town, hanging in Fado and then heading into the verizon center. Though I suppose my commute to one away game each year isn't a rock solid reason to decide against moving to the ACC.

Sorry, should have been more clear. I'm talking almost exclusively about hoops here -- though I don't mind the RU rivalry in football in that Schiano is a perfect villain, their "success" is almost directly due to our failures and the school is close enough that there are legit turf wars for recruiting.

But generally, I'm just talking about hoops. I think UConn could survive as long as Calhoun is there and, even then, his replacement would take over a program with a pretty legit reputation. I agree that UMD intrigues me as a rivalry but it's going to be a pain in the a$$ getting to college park for games vs. metroing to china town, hanging in Fado and then heading into the verizon center. Though I suppose my commute to one away game each year isn't a rock solid reason to decide against moving to the ACC.

Both Gross and Georgetown have said they're in discussions, I think there will be an annual home and away. Which means we only get Verizon Center every other year. But we're not getting it this year and we're in the same conference.

College Park is going to be a lot harder to get a ticket and will be a lot less orange. So yeah, that part sucks.

Depends which sport you're talking about. What football rivalries do we have that can't be replaced in, say, 5 minutes? We've played UConn for 7 straight years, I can't think of one that was memorable. We had to beg the fans to come watch a Rutgers game. USF, Cincy, Louisville...blech, blah, poop. That leaves Pitt (stays), WVU (kinda stinks but their sour grapes AD has me saying f em).

Return of BC, VT, Miami in some form, may not each be annual. But those games were a million times more interesting than the first 5 BE schools I mentioned.

Agree. Not to mention we gain MD back. At the time of the first raid we had played MD 34 (18-14-2) times and RU 34 (27-6-1) times. So if the VA governor didn't step in MD would be well past RU on our all time opponents list.

VT was a great back and forth and really had potential. We would always win at home and lose on the road. We didn't keep our end of the bargain by falling off the map. But should we get back it could build up again.

MD > RU
BC > UConn
Pitt = Pitt
VT < WV
Miami > USF
UVA, UNC, NC St, Wake, Duke, Clemson, GA Tech, FSU > Cincy, Louisville, TCU

Both Gross and Georgetown have said they're in discussions, I think there will be an annual home and away. Which means we only get Verizon Center every other year. But we're not getting it this year and we're in the same conference.

College Park is going to be a lot harder to get a ticket and will be a lot less orange. So yeah, that part sucks.

Any deal we have with Georgetown needs a Cuse clause: Georgetown needs to guarantee several thousand tickets to Syracuse to sell. Hell they can get a $20 surcharge to boot. SU will guarantee Georgetown their 122 tix they buy annually in the Dome. GTown frankly needs us a bit more than we need them. We can always schedule George Mason to a game in DC and get them to set aside 9000 tix for us.

I have no problem with SJU being an annual game in MSG with each side getting half the arena. Nova and or UConn should be an annual game rotating home and away. Forget the rest for any long term series.

My priority to schedule:

1. Georgetown and SJU
2. Nova
3. UConn

Would it be too nasty to ask Seton Hall if they would like to play us in MSG or the Dome as a guarantee game for them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom