Tony Bennett retiring | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Tony Bennett retiring

I hear what he is saying and understand his decision. However I hate the implication by all these guys who step down saying "I want the players to be paid" yet basically say the game is being ruined by it. Everything was fine as long as the "adults" were making $, and now that the game is getting tough everyone who benefitted is jumping ship.
Yikes, that's an overly simplistic way of viewing the current landscape. Bennett, like just about every other coach out there supports players earning money. It's the WAY things are currently being conducted that's causing these guys to quit, not because players are making money. Plenty of examples in this thread about the craziness of NIL and now kids can pick a new school every year if they want to secure a bigger bag. Many have referred to it as the Wild Wild West; I just call it a $h1tshow. Its quite a bit more than "the game is getting tough".

A guy like Bennett, how do you develop a program with the continuity he has always relied on in this environment? That's not what he signed up for when he got into coaching. He didn't quit because players can make money.

Last edited:
How? He quit 20 days before the season starts. That is quitting on your team.

It's also conveniently timed so that the university has no choice but to name an interim coach from his staff.
Listening to his announcement, I believe he felt like he was quitting on his family if he kept going doing something he didn’t love. Tough choice, team or family, but I know the choice I’d make.

Lol. The argument is fairly straightforward. Time and circumstances change from when an athlete signs a letter of intent and they, like all students in college, need to be in situations that prepare them best and have full say over that future.

NIL is broken, but so was the system before. Blaming the athletes then and now is dumb. It's on the people in charge to fix it so it's healthy for all.

Lol for sure on your 'straightforward' notion. Except, unlike "all other students in college," the majority of these "athletes" would've likely not even gotten in to their respective college of voluntary choice, let alone at zero financial cost to them as "all" (majority) of students. Therefore, on a probable much different career path or plight.

Moreover, the only thing that changes from when an "athlete" signs their letter of intent and being in "situations that prepare them best," etc., is remarkably, abling to fleece/hustle that same "broken system" that gave them the opportunity they would've never had in the first place.

Last edited:
I hate NIL.

Can’t wait to watch our hired gun QB and our 5-1 football team though.

*shrug*

I'm very hypocritical when it comes to this. I want us to have all the money and spend like we're Steve Ballmer, especially for football.

I think Im ok with it more on football since we have been so bad or mediocre for so long, I so badly want to be good.

I root for Syracuse no matter what. I just have to be ok with it and crack jokes.

I'm very hypocritical when it comes to this. I want us to have all the money and spend like we're Steve Ballmer, especially for football.

I think Im ok with it more on football since we have been so bad or mediocre for so long, I so badly want to be good.

I root for Syracuse no matter what. I just have to be ok with it and crack jokes.

Yeah I get why people saying they don’t like it.

But at some point, by watching it, you are part of it.

I remember plenty of folks on the board saying they were going to quit watching. Now that the football team is competitive I see them every week posting. *shrug*

Yeah I get why people saying they don’t like it.

But at some point, by watching it, you are part of it.

I remember plenty of folks on the board saying they were going to quit watching. Now that the football team is competitive I see them every week posting. *shrug*

Ha, yeah. You take the good and ignore the ugly part. Not like it was super clean prior to NIL and I still was fine with it then.

Ha, yeah. You take the good and ignore the ugly part. Not like it was super clean prior to NIL and I still was fine with it then.
i'm a total hypocrite. i'm happy some of you lunatics fund our dynamic qb throw touchdowns. i'm not going to be angry that someone finds good use of money to pay a kid who will be going pro anyway.

I'm just saying the system is stupid if you think that's the best way to support your alma mader. If you are merely a fan of the football/basketball definitely fund your entire 401k. I think it's a great investment.

Steve Brule Confusion GIF

I think that's great. I'm not attacking anyone who considers funding kids with full rides an initiative worth pursuing. I think the system is ghoulish that we've come to this.

Part of me is happy it's all falling apart and real coaches are just walking away. Eventually the game will corrode because we'll be left with salesmen coaching vs real coaches like Tony Bennett.
It's all about marketing and brand. Perfect for the used car salesmen, hucksters, and outright con men.

Really a microcosm of present day pop culture.

It's all about marketing and brand. Perfect for the used car salesmen, hucksters, and outright con men.

Really a microcosm of present day pop culture.
Right. The teachers of basketball and life will jump in, do it for 10-15 years and make enough retirement money, and promptly retire. There's def a delta btw Tony Bennett leaving too early and Jim Boeheim staying too late. that's the sweet spot for coaching

Good for Tony. I plan on retiring at 55, so I can empathize with his decision. I hope when I announce my retirement in (still quite a few years away) that nobody thinks I’m sick or dying. Retiring at 55 should be considered an accomplishment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom