Tony Bennett to UCLA? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tony Bennett to UCLA?

What would be the salary difference in terms of real purchasing power? Tear down houses can cost one million, not to mention property taxes and big state income tax. Amidst the glitz there is crime and chaos, Nice climate. Never-the-less, there is a reason that the middle class is fleeing. Is Bennett an LA guy or a Spokane / Charlottesville guy?

1975!!!! That was 44 years ago.
The point is, they low-balled the greatest college coach of all time. The fan base thinks they're entitled. The question is whether the administration is still of the same mindset.

And, as mentioned elsewhere, his salary would have to be much higher to even equal what he has at UVa. How much? 50%, 75%?

Of course, he might be up for the challenge. Unless his wife really likes Charlottesville. :)

The point is, they low-balled the greatest college coach of all time. The fan base thinks they're entitled. The question is whether the administration is still of the same mindset.

And, as mentioned elsewhere, his salary would have to be much higher to even equal what he has at UVa. How much? 50%, 75%?

Of course, he might be up for the challenge. Unless his wife really likes Charlottesville. :)

I have two questions just to put your post in perspective:

1. Would you object to someone calling you cheap solely on the basis of your great grandfather having stiffed a waiter on a tip after eating the best steak dinner of his life?

2. Do you think a waiter in that same restaurant today would care what your great grandfather did if you walked in that same restaurant today and gave him a $1000 tip in advance of your meal?

I have two questions just to put your post in perspective:

1. Would you object to someone calling you cheap solely on the basis of your great grandfather having stiffed a waiter on a tip after eating the best steak dinner of his life?

2. Do you think a waiter in that same restaurant today would care what your great grandfather did if you walked in that same restaurant today and gave him a $1000 tip in advance of your meal?
I've heard some great non sequiturs, and this one is up near the top of the list.

So, I'll play the game--do you think the mindset around Joe Paterno's program changed much form the '70's to the '80's to the '90's to the '00's?

And, to get back on the subject--Alford was getting just shy od $3M at UCLA; Bennett $4.5M at UVa.

USA TODAY Sports

Last edited:
I've heard some great non sequiturs, and this one is up near the top of the list.

So, I'll play the game--do you think the mindset around Joe Paterno's program changed much form the '70's to the '80's to the '90's to the '00's?

I think I nailed it. However, your analogy is a bit off imho. Penn State was under the same leadership all those years. Ucla is not under the same leadership as when Wooden coached. Easy to distinguish.

You would have been more persuasive if had you argued that the mindset at Penn State has not changed since JoePa left. That at least provides a sensical argument that just because leadership changes, doesnt mean that the culture changes.

With that being said, I really do not care what TB does.

Last edited:
What would be the salary difference in terms of real purchasing power? Tear down houses can cost one million, not to mention property taxes and big state income tax. Amidst the glitz there is crime and chaos, Nice climate. Never-the-less, there is a reason that the middle class is fleeing. Is Bennett an LA guy or a Spokane / Charlottesville guy?
UCLA ain't paying middle class wages for their HC.

He might want to go to a school that's the lead dog in the conference hierarchy, not an also thought to UNC/Duke

A few thoughts: 1. I have no insight into Bennett's thinking. All this is pure speculation. 2. If it were just a question of money, I have a suspicion UVa could match UCLA's offer, if they make an offer. The budgets of the two athletic departments are comparable. And, while UCLA does have a very nice contract with Under Armor (far nicer than UVa's Nike deal), the ACC Network revenue should start being realized next fall. Meanwhile, the PAC 12's television network appears to be a boondoggle. While these funds wouldn't be available for athletics, it's worth noting that Virginia's endowment (should be in the $10 billion range this year) is almost three times that of UCLA's. I think that that is indicative of the sorts of resources UVa can exploit. 3. The things Bennett would have to do to earn the ire of the Virginia fanbase are unimaginable. The job in Charlottesville is his for life, if that's what he wants. I don't think the same can be said of the Bruin faithful. 4. When Bennett left Washington State, it was a very difficult decision for him, and that program had started to dip a bit. On the other hand, things are looking quite rosy at UVa. Salt will be the only graduation loss. Presumably, Hunter will enter the draft. Jerome may do likewise, but that's far from certain. Everyone else returns. There's some nice potential being developed, and a nice recruiting class will arrive next summer. As significant is the fact that Virginia is seriously involved with some outstanding prospects in the 2020 class. Bennett has things rolling in Charlottesville. 5. The idea of the challenge of rebuilding UCLA has been mentioned. That's true. However, if he stays, there's the challenge of facing the likes of Krzyzewski, Boeheim, Williams, & Brey night in and night out. And Hamilton & Larranaga are no slouches. The PAC 12 can't offer the same.

Of course, none of that could mean squat. It may be that there's a bistro in Brentwood that Bennett and his wife adore and they'd jump at the opportunity to dine there every Saturday night. And, the Michiavellian in me suspects all this buzz about Bennett is a smokescreen to allow UCLA to quietly pursue their real target. Or, maybe that's the wishful thinker in me. Who knows?

They pushed Howland and his similar style out after he lost in the first round and won 25 games when he took UCLA to 2 FF in 9 years. UCLA deserves to rot after that.
Howland made the Final Four 3 years I a row.
2006, 2007, 2008.
That program wouldn’t tolerate Bennett.
I would be surprised if Fred Hoibert isn’t the next UCLA coach.

Howland made the Final Four 3 years I a row.
2006, 2007, 2008.
That program wouldn’t tolerate Bennett.
I would be surprised if Fred Hoibert isn’t the next UCLA coach.

They wouldn't tolerate Bennett but they'd jump for Hoiberg? What's the difference besides the NBA cred?

Holmes would be living in Bel Air, not middle class LA. The glitz isn't fleeing the area.

Hoiberg is heavily rumored here in Minnesota to be the Timberwolves GM/president next year.

It's a bad fit. The rural south is a better location for his lifestyle. He'd never be able to protect his wife and kids from all the freaks and liberals haunting the West Side of LA.

They wouldn't tolerate Bennett but they'd jump for Hoiberg? What's the difference besides the NBA cred?
Hoiberg is an excellent offensive coach.
UCLA needs glitz and fun basketball to make it an event in LA.
Think USC football with Leinart/Bush.
LA needs offense to get people going .

Howland made some lucky runs in the Tourney, they were smart to get rid of him.

My memory might be a little hazy, but I think UCLA booted Howland because his relationships with Southern California AAU coaches soured to the point where he decided to hire an AAU coach from Atlanta because he was so desperate for talent.

He also allowed Reeves Nelson to intentionally injure teammates during practices for a couple of years before kicking him off the team.

Those things became untenable when his winning percentage dipped.

I doubt Bennett ends up there unless they make him an offer he can’t refuse.

A few thoughts: 1. I have no insight into Bennett's thinking. All this is pure speculation. 2. If it were just a question of money, I have a suspicion UVa could match UCLA's offer, if they make an offer. The budgets of the two athletic departments are comparable. And, while UCLA does have a very nice contract with Under Armor (far nicer than UVa's Nike deal), the ACC Network revenue should start being realized next fall. Meanwhile, the PAC 12's television network appears to be a boondoggle. While these funds wouldn't be available for athletics, it's worth noting that Virginia's endowment (should be in the $10 billion range this year) is almost three times that of UCLA's. I think that that is indicative of the sorts of resources UVa can exploit. 3. The things Bennett would have to do to earn the ire of the Virginia fanbase are unimaginable. The job in Charlottesville is his for life, if that's what he wants. I don't think the same can be said of the Bruin faithful. 4. When Bennett left Washington State, it was a very difficult decision for him, and that program had started to dip a bit. On the other hand, things are looking quite rosy at UVa. Salt will be the only graduation loss. Presumably, Hunter will enter the draft. Jerome may do likewise, but that's far from certain. Everyone else returns. There's some nice potential being developed, and a nice recruiting class will arrive next summer. As significant is the fact that Virginia is seriously involved with some outstanding prospects in the 2020 class. Bennett has things rolling in Charlottesville. 5. The idea of the challenge of rebuilding UCLA has been mentioned. That's true. However, if he stays, there's the challenge of facing the likes of Krzyzewski, Boeheim, Williams, & Brey night in and night out. And Hamilton & Larranaga are no slouches. The PAC 12 can't offer the same.

Of course, none of that could mean squat. It may be that there's a bistro in Brentwood that Bennett and his wife adore and they'd jump at the opportunity to dine there every Saturday night. And, the Michiavellian in me suspects all this buzz about Bennett is a smokescreen to allow UCLA to quietly pursue their real target. Or, maybe that's the wishful thinker in me. Who knows?

I don't think it's wishful thinking at all. UVA is a stunning school aesthetically, and has top notch academics to boot. So, both style and substance combined. I've felt for some time (prior to Bennett) that UVA was a sleeping giant if they could get the right coach, this applies to football as well. Additionally, as you've mentioned, UVA clearly has the resources, ACC $$$, huge endowment, etc.

I did get a chuckle, however, in regards to Jerome and the NBA. My goodness, he's a solid college player no doubt, but that's 100% due to the Bennett/UVA system. Jerome is not that athletic and his jumper is more of a set shot type, hardly any elevation at all. Good luck with that in the NBA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom