Too early to pass judgements on Coleman | Syracusefan.com

Too early to pass judgements on Coleman

Yegorange

Starter
Seems many are dismissing him already. Talking about Lydon (who I love), upcoming problems against "real" bigs, bad rebounding, etc.

He did well enough against lower and slower competition in the exhibitions. But D1 game-speed, especially of smaller/quicker teams is different. Plus Lehigh's center was legit. JB is right, "it'll take time". The next month gives him a chance against good competition to get his legs, quicks and confidence going. He could very well turn into a force in ACC for all we know - and hope ;)

Meanwhile Lydon is getting great experience, which will only help later on. His lean mutant strength will carry him through to the end! Oh, and even Chino has shown glimpses of potential on D. We could do some things this year.

Taking OCG off, Coleman could also never get his quickness back - even after getting up to speed. And he'd continue struggling with rotations, though that could be caused by that very lack of quickness. Still, we'd be a bubble team then.

Regardless of the view, it too early to tell.

Coleman needs to improve for this team to actualize it's generally limited upside. Would be nice to have him rebound well alongside Roberson to help overcome that team deficiency. But I agree, it will be a process, not a quick turnaround. He's still generally pretty experienced; last game was the first time I can ever remember him being on the court during crunch time [no exaggeration], and that happened by default, after Roberson fouled out and JB had no choice but to put DC back in. BUT, those are the type of things that can be confidence builders, and help Dejuan gain more confidence in those tight game situations. Hopefully, it is something to build on.

On a semi-related note, didn't JB say that Coleman would be one of the top shot blockers in the country this year? Has he even blocked ONE shot? No idea why he'd say that.

Coleman needs to improve for this team to actualize it's generally limited upside. Would be nice to have him rebound well alongside Roberson to help overcome that team deficiency. But I agree, it will be a process, not a quick turnaround. He's still generally pretty experienced; last game was the first time I can ever remember him being on the court during crunch time [no exaggeration], and that happened by default, after Roberson fouled out and JB had no choice but to put DC back in. BUT, those are the type of things that can be confidence builders, and help Dejuan gain more confidence in those tight game situations. Hopefully, it is something to build on.

On a semi-related note, didn't JB say that Coleman would be one of the top shot blockers in the country this year? Has he even blocked ONE shot? No idea why he'd say that.

Boeheim says things.

Maybe because JB has seen enough preseason to suggest he thinks Coleman will get in game shape this year and become a factor? Sure he "says things", and this may also be motivational. But he's a realist. This was no BS from him.

Maybe because JB has seen enough preseason to suggest he thinks Coleman will get in game shape this year and become a factor? Sure he "says things", and this may also be motivational. But he's a realist. This was no BS from him.

I'm a Coleman fan. I've stated repeatedly how amazing his dedication has been to rehab, losing weight, staying in shape--not an easy thing to do, when you can't do cardio. The coaching staff has raved about his work ethic -- deservedly so. Nobody is rooting harder for him to get back than I am.

However, the issue isn't whether he'll get back in game shape or be a factor. I expect those things. What I don't expect is for him to emerge as a shot blocker, given that he hasn't shown much of that throughout his career, and none of that so far this season. Not being critical, just being realistic that Coleman probably won't be one of the top shotblockers in the nation [paraphrasing JB].

From the Syracuse New Times (to be taken with as many grains of salt as we wish, since journalists get things wrong, especially in the age of "Who needs editors?"): 'Boeheim said Coleman hasn’t missed any time in practice and predicted Coleman would be “one of the premier shot blockers in college basketball.”'

https://www.syracusenewtimes.com/coming-distractions/

Which, of course, is total BS. The kid wasn't going to be a shotblocker if we went back to 2012 and gave him two healthy knees. He's always been a below-the-rim player; not a negative, just his style of play.

From the Syracuse New Times (to be taken with as many grains of salt as we wish, since journalists get things wrong, especially in the age of "Who needs editors?"): 'Boeheim said Coleman hasn’t missed any time in practice and predicted Coleman would be “one of the premier shot blockers in college basketball.”'

https://www.syracusenewtimes.com/coming-distractions/

Which, of course, is total BS. The kid wasn't going to be a shotblocker if we went back to 2012 and gave him two healthy knees. He's always been a below-the-rim player; not a negative, just his style of play.

It's an error.

Seems many are dismissing him already. Talking about Lydon (who I love), upcoming problems against "real" bigs, bad rebounding, etc.

He did well enough against lower and slower competition in the exhibitions. But D1 game-speed, especially of smaller/quicker teams is different. Plus Lehigh's center was legit. JB is right, "it'll take time". The next month gives him a chance against good competition to get his legs, quicks and confidence going. He could very well turn into a force in ACC for all we know - and hope ;)

Meanwhile Lydon is getting great experience, which will only help later on. His lean mutant strength will carry him through to the end! Oh, and even Chino has shown glimpses of potential on D. We could do some things this year.

Taking OCG off, Coleman could also never get his quickness back - even after getting up to speed. And he'd continue struggling with rotations, though that could be caused by that very lack of quickness. Still, we'd be a bubble team then.

Regardless of the view, it too early to tell.

In terms of playing center, he's a big warm body and that's mostly all that matters.

Maybe. But we don't know that and there's no indication that the publication has been notified that the writer made an error.

I think we pretty much know it, because JB said exactly the same sentence about Chukwu. I don't think he would say it about Coleman in the first place, but for him to say exactly the same thing about two different players in exactly the same words seems to prove it was a mistake by the writer.

I'm a Coleman fan. I've stated repeatedly how amazing his dedication has been to rehab, losing weight, staying in shape--not an easy thing to do, when you can't do cardio. The coaching staff has raved about his work ethic -- deservedly so. Nobody is rooting harder for him to get back than I am.

However, the issue isn't whether he'll get back in game shape or be a factor. I expect those things. What I don't expect is for him to emerge as a shot blocker, given that he hasn't shown much of that throughout his career, and none of that so far this season. Not being critical, just being realistic that Coleman probably won't be one of the top shotblockers in the nation [paraphrasing JB].
Certainly didn't mean to imply that was critical. I also recall that quote about him, but maybe it was in fact about Paschal. Anyway, just meant getting quickness and timing back would help his ups. But probably was about Chukwu.

I think we pretty much know it, because JB said exactly the same sentence about Chukwu. I don't think he would say it about Coleman in the first place, but for him to say exactly the same thing about two different players in exactly the same words seems to prove it was a mistake by the writer.
Adds up.

Right now, it seems that Lydon has the best instincts on the team for blocking shots.

As a frosh, Chukwu had a block% that would have been top 70 in the nation; the minutes were limited but he basically blocked shots at the same rate Rak did last year. The same rate that Fab did a freshmen. My point is that he's going to block a ton of shots next year. Fab as a soph had a top 15 block rate in the nation; I bet Chukwu is pretty close to that

As a frosh, Chukwu had a block% that would have been top 70 in the nation; the minutes were limited but he basically blocked shots at the same rate Rak did last year. The same rate that Fab did a freshmen. My point is that he's going to block a ton of shots next year. Fab as a soph had a top 15 block rate in the nation; I bet Chukwu is pretty close to that

Next year's team is going to be awesome! I just hope we don't lose any player prematurely to the NBA. I hate that. NBA should impose a ban on allow freshmen to enter the draft. For the quality of the college game it would be nice if we got these guys for 2 years. I think making CBB more popular is probably in the NBA's self-interests. The D-League games are boring.

Next year's team is going to be awesome! I just hope we don't lose any player prematurely to the NBA. I hate that. NBA should impose a ban on allow freshmen to enter the draft. For the quality of the college game it would be nice if we got these guys for 2 years. I think making CBB more popular is probably in the NBA's self-interests. The D-League games are boring.

The NBA makes money hand over fist, why would they do something like that? In Syracuse college basketball is king and the NBA gets largely ignored for good reason. Everywhere else I've lived, even non NBA towns, NBA is king and CBB isn't even close. They're not going to change their model unless its beneficial to them.

I'm a big NBA fan as well, and I know Silver wants to put a two year limit on players staying in college. I think the NCAA wants it as well. It's the players association that has pushed back some, which is weird. I've never heard of a union wanting to make it easier for people to join... We will see what happens during the next CBA negotiation now that Stern isn't around anymore.

I'm a big NBA fan as well, and I know Silver wants to put a two year limit on players staying in college. I think the NCAA wants it as well. It's the players association that has pushed back some, which is weird. I've never heard of a union wanting to make it easier for people to join... We will see what happens during the next CBA negotiation now that Stern isn't around anymore.

My guess is part of it is they just want to make it a point to bargain. Even if they don't really feel strongly about it, there's no reason to just concede the point without at least putting up a fight. The CBA is a ton of issues; if they fight this point and then end up conceding it, maybe they get a concession somewhere else.

Also the NBAPA is different than most unions (for many reasons, I imagine) but there is a finite number of roster spots. So it's not really making it any easier for someone to join, you're basically going to have the same amount of members no matter what.It is interesting though, because the MLBPA basically doesn't care at all about minor leaguers (not part of the union) but the NBAPA seems to care more about the guys who aren't members yet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom