Too early to pass judgements on Coleman | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Too early to pass judgements on Coleman

How was that a bad post? He had an opinion that by all means is correct and he did it respectfully. Not every player we have is up to snuff and he's calling it out, what's wrong with that? Does every opinion posted on this forum have to be a cream puff cheerleading ra ra we're the best post? You can support your team while having an opinion that isn't popular. I don't think anybody wants this team to lose any games and roots just as hard as somebody who is blind to the fact that this team isn't perfect. Shame on you.
You think the idea of going in to the locker room and pushing him around is a good idea? What people forget is that while he was hurt, he couldn't practice. His learning curve is way behind. We better hope he can catch up. We need him to be better than this. The problem with most fans, is that they can only see what they see now.

This thread is wild. Coleman has better natural post skills than Rakeem :eek: .

Coleman seems like a great guy-- I know people who were friends with him-- and I certainly feel for him and all of his injury concerns. It sucks. That said, I think he was overrated coming out of high school. He had a phenomenal career at JD playing against ehh competition. I've said for three years, he's undersized for a center in D1 basketball. He needs to model his game off of Zach Randolph. Nobody is better at using his body and the rime and keeping the ball high. The reason Coleman puts the ball down so often is because he's trying to carve space against more athletic/longer/taller players and that leads to rushed shots.

The problem is that given the issues, it's really impossible to know "what could have been", if anything. I'm hoping he is able to work his way fully back to 100%, both with regards to health and game speed, just to give us something, which I don't expect will be much. There is still time and I have some hope at least.

We will massively miss Rakeem this year, to beat that dead horse again.

Go back and look at Rakeem his Freshman and Sophmore year. He averaged 4 and 4 for his CAREER until last year. I don't even remember him ever posting up until his Junior year. Coleman actually had footwork when he showed up on campus. He still has it. You've stated his issues, but it's more to do with the fact he COULD NOT practice for 2 years.

The only time Rak usually scored until last year was off feeds from the guards driving or offensive putbacks.

Go back and look at Rakeem his Freshman and Sophmore year. He averaged 4 and 4 for his CAREER until last year. I don't even remember him ever posting up until his Junior year. Coleman actually had footwork when he showed up on campus. He still has it. You've stated his issues, but it's more to do with the fact he COULD NOT practice for 2 years.

The only time Rak usually scored until last year was off feeds from the guards driving or offensive putbacks.

Fair. Getting the ball passed to you is fun though.

Like I said, I hope for the best. I still don't have high expectations.

You think the idea of going in to the locker room and pushing him around is a good idea? What people forget is that while he was hurt, he couldn't practice. His learning curve is way behind. We better hope he can catch up. We need him to be better than this. The problem with most fans, is that they can only see what they see now.

It's not just seeing what we see now, it's seeing what we saw the first 2 seasons as well. If I'm out of action for 2 years and rehabbing, I'm watching CONSTANT video of past centers playing the zone and seeing what they did to keep JB happy and be successful.

In Rak's Jr. year myself and many others were complaining that he wasn't getting the ball at all underneath. It's an age old argument that could be gone over back and forth for the next 100 years, but you need to take more than 4/5 FG attempts a game to score a solid amount of points to boost your average.

In Rak's Jr. year myself and many others were complaining that he wasn't getting the ball at all underneath. It's an age old argument that could be gone over back and forth for the next 100 years, but you need to take more than 4/5 FG attempts a game to score a solid amount of points to boost your average.

I'll give ya his junior year. We possibly could of went to him more. Before that, he really wasn't a threat. For whatever reason that team was built primarily on Ennis and Fair as the primary options.

And that moron Jb didn't listen to you guys?

And that moron Jb didn't listen to you guys?

So because I think Rak should have gotten more touches his Jr. year instead of awful shooting and poor ISO play I think JB's a moron? How in the hell do you get to that conclusion?

So because I think Rak should have gotten more touches his Jr. year instead of awful shooting and poor ISO play I think JB's a moron? How in the hell do you get to that conclusion?
LOL Just having fun and I didn't say that you thought jb was a moron.

I don't feel that Rak should have had more shots as a junior. Always was on that side as well. I don't believe he was ever even in a good position to shoot as jr and probably couldn't be off the dribble. Its not easy for centers to get a finesse dribbling squared up one handed release shot off the dribble. He operated alot on beating his man to position and squaring up before getting bumped his senior year.

Ennis was a freshmen point I would have loved to see him force things more before Rak. The problem wasn't inside though it was outside.

Last edited: