Too early to start talking about the Duke game? | Syracusefan.com

Too early to start talking about the Duke game?

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
With 4 outside shooters they could score points. it is almost impossible to go berserk on us due to our D but we might need to up our scoring for that game. their biggest weakness is at center. The situation is made for DJC to explode, but will he be capable this season against good competition?

I guess that the odds would be pickem at the Dome and that the team that loses will have enough of a chip on its shoulder to take the rematch.

I applaud your opinion but shouldn't we wait for the first exhibition game or at least until the Clemson game is over.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Every year we consider the four outside shooter option as well. It never happens. If their 4th outside shooter takes more then 3 against us then they are rolling the dice. Our offense doesn't need to be that risky.

Last edited:
The problem with those 4 shooters is that 2 of them must guard CJ and Jerami.

I really can't wait for that game because you know both JB and K will be dying to beat each other.

But the thing is the two guys who'll be guarding CJ and Jerami will likely be Rodney Hood and Jabari Parker, who both are CJ and Jerami-sized and are both strong candidates for first team all-ACC. Duke is one of the few teams that matches up well against our forwards. It should be a great game. We're not going to be able to keep up if it turns into a shooting match - our best hope is that the zone baffles the Duke players and is effective, giving someone like CJ the chance to be the difference maker in the final minutes. Can't wait!

But the thing is the two guys who'll be guarding CJ and Jerami will likely be Rodney Hood and Jabari Parker, who both are CJ and Jerami-sized and are both strong candidates for first team all-ACC. Duke is one of the few teams that matches up well against our forwards. It should be a great game. We're not going to be able to keep up if it turns into a shooting match - our best hope is that the zone baffles the Duke players and is effective, giving someone like CJ the chance to be the difference maker in the final minutes. Can't wait!

Then it leaves a 6-2 guy on MikeG plus we have either Rok or DC2 abusing them in the middle before we come with Baye and his pestering.

yeah, hopefully Coleman will good enough defensively by that point to play big minutes, because his low post scoring could be a difference maker. But of course the danger there is, if Coleman's defense is still a little suspect, then both Parker and Hood could exploit that. So that'll be interesting to see where Coleman's game is as we get into conference play.

And yep, can't wait to watch MikeG go up against his old team, especially since he'll almost certainly be guarded by a shorter Sulaimon! I think he's 6'4, so Mike should clearly have an advantage there. And hopefully he'll get more and more assertive on the offensive end as he gets some real games under his belt. I like his game a lot!

Mike G. will be subbing for Ennis and Maybe, a little 2. If we have to look for him to be the difference maker in the Duke game, we will be in trouble.

Went to Duke's open practice Saturday morning.
Rodney Hood is clearly the best player on the team. He looks a legitimate 6'8. He can handle and he's a really good 3-point shooter. (Better than Ryan Kelly, I think.)
Jabari Parker is really good, but he's not an elite athlete. He had a couple chances to explode to the rim to finish a play, and he just can't. He's a good shooter but he's not Carmelo Anthony. He'll make plays though, perhaps in the middle of the 2-3 zone? Plus, he was sucking wind - more than any of his teammates. (He's been recovering from that broken foot forever...)
Amile Jefferson didn't look much bulkier than last year. He's a good finisher though and he'll benefit from playing with Hood and Parker.
I was disappointed in Sulaimon. I was expecting him to step up to an All American level. He still may, but he's battling Andre Dawkins for the 2G spot.
Do you all remember Dawkins? He sat out last year but he is an x-factor in any game. He can come in and hit 7 3's in 10 minutes. He looked good Saturday. He squares and releases quicker on his jumper than anyone I've seen here.
Quin Cook looks about the same. The offense will go through Hood and Parker this year, so his PG role will be different. But still, he's got a year of starting experience, you've got to respect his 3-point , and Coach K says his on the ball defense has improved.
Alex Murphy looked great Saturday ... but he always does in practice. He hasn't been able to do it in a game.
MP3 (the 3rd Plumlee) looked healthy (from foot injury) but he's not ready to contribute.

who will be getting the most minutes at center/third spot in the frontcourt? do you think K will go small with Parker, Hood and Jefferson?

Coach K has said it will be Jefferson. I don't think MP3 can keep up with the pace K wants this year.

Went to Duke's open practice Saturday morning.
Rodney Hood is clearly the best player on the team. He looks a legitimate 6'8. He can handle and he's a really good 3-point shooter. (Better than Ryan Kelly, I think.)
Jabari Parker is really good, but he's not an elite athlete. He had a couple chances to explode to the rim to finish a play, and he just can't. He's a good shooter but he's not Carmelo Anthony. He'll make plays though, perhaps in the middle of the 2-3 zone? Plus, he was sucking wind - more than any of his teammates. (He's been recovering from that broken foot forever...)
Amile Jefferson didn't look much bulkier than last year. He's a good finisher though and he'll benefit from playing with Hood and Parker.
I was disappointed in Sulaimon. I was expecting him to step up to an All American level. He still may, but he's battling Andre Dawkins for the 2G spot.
Do you all remember Dawkins? He sat out last year but he is an x-factor in any game. He can come in and hit 7 3's in 10 minutes. He looked good Saturday. He squares and releases quicker on his jumper than anyone I've seen here.
Quin Cook looks about the same. The offense will go through Hood and Parker this year, so his PG role will be different. But still, he's got a year of starting experience, you've got to respect his 3-point , and Coach K says his on the ball defense has improved.
Alex Murphy looked great Saturday ... but he always does in practice. He hasn't been able to do it in a game.
MP3 (the 3rd Plumlee) looked healthy (from foot injury) but he's not ready to contribute.

I really liked Jefferson in highschool and agree his strength was always finishing. I think with your team this year he should get plenty of opertunities while defenses focus elsewhere. I am interested to see how good Hood is this year and how Parker does, agree he's not an explosive guy athletically but he is way more developed skill wise than most forwards you see coming in. Dawkins will certainly win a couple games for you by himself just going off from 3 which he is capable of. I just hope to god its not against us.

duke-boy-crying2.jpg

Mike G. will be subbing for Ennis and Maybe, a little 2. If we have to look for him to be the difference maker in the Duke game, we will be in trouble.
I beg to differ. Many on this board have written MikeG off based on a few games this summer not realizing that he has not played in a competive game in over 2 years and was going through a transition of playing a new position with no prior experience. Those of us that have watched him play both in high school and AAU know what he is capable of and can't wait to see him play this year. I have a feeling he is going to win a lot of fans over on Oct 18 and beyond.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom