Top 40/100 players on elite 8 teams not named Duke or UK | Syracusefan.com

Top 40/100 players on elite 8 teams not named Duke or UK

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
Posted this on the main board, but it probably belongs here.

Texas Tech- 1 in the top 100(Role player)
Purdue- 1 in the top 100
Virginia- 1 top 40 and 5 top 100
Gonzaga- 2 in the top 100
Auburn- 4 in the top 100
Sparty-1 who plays in top 40 and 7 top 100

Bottom line is the player ratings of the guys we recruited this year and on our roster is better or about the same as all these schools above and posters are complaining we can’t recruit.

We just need to find guys who can fill a specific role most notably inside and at point guard. Seems to me that the schools above are better at player development than us as it currently stand

Purdue- 1 in the top 100
Auburn- 4 in the top 100

Bottom line is the player ratings of the guys we recruited this year and on our roster is better or about the same as all these schools above and posters are complaining we can’t recruit.

We just need to find guys who can fill a specific role most notably inside and at point guard. Seems to me that the schools above are better at player development than us as it currently stand

Really good post -- not that it proves anything definitively or makes our recruiting out to be better than it has been. It's clearly dipped since the second round of sanctions and that has hurt a bit. But it does point out that there are factors beyond star rankings and that there is a bit of a transition in college hoops. THe one-and-done/early entrant thing is real, but those six teams you mentioned and Tennessee, who had a great year with I believe zero top 100 guys, and Va Tech (1 top 40, 3 top 100s that play) show you don't necessarily have to land a couple top 25 guys to have success.

I'd also suggest that, to take it a step further, that the Dukes of the world (and there's probably only a few, Duke, Kansas, UNC, etc.) still have to go out and figure out how to put it together with all that talent. This year has been incredible for Duke (though it could have conceivably been over in the second round) but the previous three seasons they averaged more than 9 losses per.

I'm not saying they haven't been really good and better than us -- they have -- but just that we need to figure out how to build a more functional roster and put a more functional offensive style of play on the floor. Getting higher end kids helps, but I do think it's a bit more heavily emphasized on these boards than it should be.

Purdue- 1 in the top 100
Auburn- 4 in the top 100

Gonzaga is a different animal, because about half of their roster is from foreign countries.

Texas Tech is interesting, because they lost almost all of their major contributors from last season, brought in a couple of grad transfers and put together a heck of a team. A new roster from year-to-year sounds a lot like one-and-done. I wonder what Beard could do with the players Duke, UK, etc. bring in new each season?

Gonzaga is a different animal, because about half of their roster is from foreign countries.

Texas Tech is interesting, because they lost almost all of their major contributors from last season, brought in a couple of grad transfers and put together a heck of a team. A new roster from year-to-year sounds a lot like one-and-done. I wonder what Beard could do with the players Duke, UK, etc. bring in new each season?
Almost half our roster has been foreign lately. Marek, OB, Pascal, Sidibe, before that Ennis and several others. We’ve got Quincy coming in next year and possibly Edwards.

Purdue- 1 in the top 100
Auburn- 4 in the top 100

Jarrett Culver from Texas Tech was a top 100 kid. Per ESPN, and he’s definitely not a role player. Best player on the team.

Almost half our roster has been foreign lately. Marek, OB, Pascal, Sidibe, before that Ennis and several others. We’ve got Quincy coming in next year and possibly Edwards.
There is a big difference between foreign-born players who played HS or prep ball in the US (OB, Pascal, Sidibe, Ennis) and those who only have played overseas (Dolezaj). Gonzaga's are mostly the latter.

Purdue- 1 in the top 100
Auburn- 4 in the top 100

Post of the week $

Purdue- 1 in the top 100
Auburn- 4 in the top 100

Great post. Completely agree

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom