Top 5 Dunks In Syracuse History | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Top 5 Dunks In Syracuse History

Didn't Michael Lloyd do a 360 in a game? That's pretty damn special.

Wasn't meaningful? How dare you. We hadn't beaten Gtown in 4 years. It was at the height of the greatest era of Cuse hoops. Sherman rarely dunked. He closed out his career and the Hoyas by reverse cramming the last bucket. I promise you, you have never seen, and never will see, the Dome in more of a frenzy. The place went ape . People were running in the aisles, hugging. I was 15. It's one of the greatest sports moments of my life.

That dunk was beyond meaningful.

General--a couple of things on that particular dunk.

Sherman Douglas is my all time favorite 'Cuse player [hence, the "20" in my handle]. I've watched that game 100 times--no exaggeration--on VHS / DVD [converted a bunch of classic game tapes about a year ago]. I've also stated earlier in the thread and many times over the years in similar threads that the '89 Georgetown game in the Dome was the best game I've ever seen in person.

Coincidentally, I also have a poster that my dad gave to me, made from a photo of that reverse dunk--I recognized what it was as soon as I unwrapped it. So while that dunk is "meaningful" to me in a sentimental way, at best I'd rate it as the third best dunk in that game alone!

The place was really going ape when we made that run in the second half, starting with the Dave Johnson offensive throwdown and culminating with the Coleman steal / Sherman alley oop to Billy Owens for a dunk and foul where SU finally took the lead. In the ensuing mayhem, Jim Boeheim actually went to the microphone to address the crowd for stuff being thrown onto the court ["Listen up...there's not going to be anything else thrown on the court or I'm going to ask the referees to give us a technical foul. I don't care about this game--NO MORE STUFF ON THE COURT!!"]. The Dome was absolute bedlam.

The Sherman dunk was window dressing--it punctuated the victory, but it wasn't responsible for it. The game was already decided, and while memorable, it wasn't remotely as important as the two other dunks in that game referenced above. On a semi-related note that probably only interests me :) , it wasn't even the end of the game. After the dunk, there were about two seconds left, and Stevie Thompson stole the inbounds pass and got fouled going to the rack. Despite that, fans rushed the court and the refs just called it.

While I disagree with you about the importance of that dunk, I agree 100% that it was truly an unforgettable game. I think the only game I've ever attended live that compared was the 2003 Pitt game.

David Johnson vs Duke off the opening tip

Ellis to Coleman to Owens to Johnson

College basketball was really a lot different back then. The four guys involved in that play were all first round picks who played in the NBA. Jesus, were teams loaded back then.

Conrad McRae was the best dunker I have ever seen at Syracuse. I'm sure footage is somewhat scarce but I'd love to see someone try and put together a McNasty highlight reel. Here's one from mostly his days in Turkey day.

Conrad McRae was the best dunker I have ever seen at Syracuse. I'm sure footage is somewhat scarce but I'd love to see someone try and put together a McNasty highlight reel. Here's one from mostly his days in Turkey day.

Seriously what is with all of this trash music that goes with what is an otherwise good highlight reel. Can't send this to the grand kids.

Seriously what is with all of this trash music that goes with what is an otherwise good highlight reel. Can't send this to the grand kids.

I know, sorry, meant to include a warning. It's terrible.

I know, sorry, meant to include a warning. It's terrible.
Not your fault but the idiots who use good video to pass their low IQ's around the Internet.

The place was really going ape **** when we made that run in the second half, starting with the Dave Johnson offensive throwdown and culminating with the Coleman steal / Sherman alley oop to Billy Owens for a dunk and foul where SU finally took the lead. In the ensuing mayhem, Jim Boeheim actually went to the microphone to address the crowd for stuff being thrown onto the court ["Listen up...there's not going to be anything else thrown on the court or I'm going to ask the referees to give us a technical foul. I don't care about this game--NO MORE STUFF ON THE COURT!!"]. The Dome was absolute bedlam.

Boeheim addressed the crowd in 1985, NOT 1989.

After an orange splattered against the backboard while Ewing was shooting a FT.

Boeheim addressed the crowd in 1985, NOT 1989.

After an orange splattered against the backboard while Ewing was shooting a FT.

He absolutely did address the crowd over the PA in the 1989 Georgetown game. Trust me--like I said above, I've watched that game at least 100 times over the years. The speech I quoted above is close to verbatim [from memory] what Boeheim said.

Edit: here is an article confirming it: http://www.nytimes.com/1989/03/06/sports/syracuse-stuns-hoyas.html?pagewanted=2&src=pm

General--a couple of things on that particular dunk.

Sherman Douglas is my all time favorite 'Cuse player [hence, the "20" in my handle]. I've watched that game 100 times--no exaggeration--on VHS / DVD [converted a bunch of classic game tapes about a year ago]. I've also stated earlier in the thread and many times over the years in similar threads that the '89 Georgetown game in the Dome was the best game I've ever seen in person.

Coincidentally, I also have a poster that my dad gave to me, made from a photo of that reverse dunk--I recognized what it was as soon as I unwrapped it. So while that dunk is "meaningful" to me in a sentimental way, at best I'd rate it as the third best dunk in that game alone!

The place was really going ape **** when we made that run in the second half, starting with the Dave Johnson offensive throwdown and culminating with the Coleman steal / Sherman alley oop to Billy Owens for a dunk and foul where SU finally took the lead. In the ensuing mayhem, Jim Boeheim actually went to the microphone to address the crowd for stuff being thrown onto the court ["Listen up...there's not going to be anything else thrown on the court or I'm going to ask the referees to give us a technical foul. I don't care about this game--NO MORE STUFF ON THE COURT!!"]. The Dome was absolute bedlam.

The Sherman dunk was window dressing--it punctuated the victory, but it wasn't responsible for it. The game was already decided, and while memorable, it wasn't remotely as important as the two other dunks in that game referenced above. On a semi-related note that probably only interests me :) , it wasn't even the end of the game. After the dunk, there were about two seconds left, and Stevie Thompson stole the inbounds pass and got fouled going to the rack. Despite that, fans rushed the court and the refs just called it.

While I disagree with you about the importance of that dunk, I agree 100% that it was truly an unforgettable game. I think the only game I've ever attended live that compared was the 2003 Pitt game.

Different definitions of meaningful. It's my favorite dunk of all time. To see Sherman get up and throw down like that in his final game in the Dome in the traditional last Big East game of the year vs. the Hoyas was so special. I guess a dunk can be "meaningful' for many reasons. That dunk didn't decide the game but it punctuated an amazing game and an amazing career.

And like I said. I was 15. For me the dunk by Sherm is up there with the TD pass to Rob Moore and the pitch to Owens as iconic Syracuse sports moments. I love that Sherm dunk. Hak's tea bag however has to be the coolest dunk ever. That dunk is legendary.

#2 was the best dunk I ever saw. Absolutely silenced the dome. Close second was Dr.J over Walton in the NBA finals.
I met my friend at in the concourse at half time and my first words were "What the F was that?????"

Not to stray from the SU theme of the thread, but this is my all-time favorite dunk in college hoops...

best hops: tony "red" bruin
best finisher: stevie thompson
best dunker: hakim warrick

that's my short list.

One of my favorites is from Dion at the :25 second mark in this video. On his birthday too.

One of my favorites is from Dion at the :25 second mark in this video. On his birthday too.

That one stands out to me, too - certainly Dion's best dunk of his career here. The list of Syracuse players who dunk the ball in that situation (bad angle, in traffic, not much of a running start) is a very short one.

David Johnson had a 360 that sticks out to me as worthy of the top-five. I remember the Wes Johnson one-handed dunk off the bad lob from Rautins; Donte had a very similar one from the opposite side off an errant pass from Flynn. Coleman in the half-court from the right wing at Georgetown in 1989 was awesome.

Beyond all of those, though, Warrick's dunk from the block while getting hit by Lattimore was spectacular. Other guys throw down helicopter dunks, catch sloppy lob passes, and drive and dunk in traffic a few times a week. Can't say the same for Warrick's dunk, and I can't think of anything more impressive in the three decades I've watched Syracuse games.

Beyond all of those, though, Warrick's dunk from the block while getting hit by Lattimore was spectacular. Other guys throw down helicopter dunks, catch sloppy lob passes, and drive and dunk in traffic a few times a week. Can't say the same for Warrick's dunk, and I can't think of anything more impressive in the three decades I've watched Syracuse games.

That really was an amazing dunk. Flat footed, no less.

Warrick was an unbelievable athlete, who during the course of his career really brought his skill level up to the level of his athleticism. Great player.

Also, Erich Santifer had some sick reverses back when those were still the rage...