Top 5 Science Fiction movies | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Top 5 Science Fiction movies

My top 5 science fiction movies in no particular order

Alien
Aliens
Invasion of the body snatchers (original)
War of the worlds (original)
Independence day

If Predator could be labeled as science fiction I would have to make room for it. I had a hard time leaving out the first Terminator movie. Needless to say I am a big fan of the Governator.
The first Alien movie was in my estimation one of the scariest movies I ever saw. The back in the seat tension was over the top great The original Body Snatchers was a great cold war effort but my favorite was the Day the Earth Stood still with Michael Reny. I first saw that movie in elementary school on a Friday afternoon when they would show movies on a reel. "The park scene with Klatu was tense for a nine year old. Loved it to this day. A freaking classic. The modern version sucked.to this daydespite its warning about how we treat this planet

Dune was way before Stargate. Now, Stargate is cool too, but Dune is phenomenal. It has all the elements of greatness.

I have em both and was just thinking about the similarities. Never had really considered it but it's all about the spice/mineral. I can't get passed some of the cheesy acting in Dune but I guess in 1984 it was legit.

The first Alien movie was in my estimation one of the scariest movies I ever saw. The back in the seat tension was over the top great The original Body Snatchers was a great cold war effort but my favorite was the Day the Earth Stood still with Michael Reny. I first saw that movie in elementary school on a Friday afternoon when they would show movies on a reel. "The park scene with Klatu was tense for a nine year old. Loved it to this day. A freaking classic. The modern version sucked.to this daydespite its warning about how we treat this planet

Cali, another one of my favorite black and white movies is the Thing with James Arness as the Thing. What did you think of that one.? I also like the remake with Kurt Russell.

Cali, another one of my favorite black and white movies is the Thing with James Arness as the Thing. What did you think of that one.? I also like the remake with Kurt Russell.
I all honesty I never really ever finished that movie. Not because of fright but for some reason it never grabbed my attention completely I know that its revered by a lot of fans. I never started the newer up dated version with Kurt Russell. I'm not a fan of those kind of films. I like decent science fiction movies but what passes for that at times is a real (?) I believe that after he did "The Thing" John Wayne recommended him to the producers of "Gunsmoke"and the rest is history. His brother Peter Graves also had a very good career in the business

1. Alien
  2. Them
  3. Invasion of The Body Snatchers
  4. Star Wars
  5. 113th Congress

Ummm...

The Matrix?

How can you ignore the matrix?

Ummm...

The Matrix?

How can you ignore the matrix?

I just asked my roomie this question and he led with it. I am also going to throw some more out here now. They Live. Loved it. Super cheesey bad acting and FX but great premise and the subliminal billboards, Helicopter/spaceships etc.

Also, How TF is 2001 not on here yet?

Total Recal. Serenity. the super steampunk awesomness of City of Lost Children...

Repo Man... The Last Starfighter...Enemy Mine

Soylent Green

ok I am out.

My top 5 science fiction movies in no particular order

Alien
Aliens
Invasion of the body snatchers (original)
War of the worlds (original)
Independence day

If Predator could be labeled as science fiction I would have to make room for it. I had a hard time leaving out the first Terminator movie. Needless to say I am a big fan of the Governator.

Aliens was a great movie. This is one of my favorite scenes of all time.

Game over man!

Contact. Great movie. Sad to see no one else has mentioned that yet.

Especially considering the story was written by Carl Sagan. The man practically invented our Universe. ;)

Contact. Great movie. Sad to see no one else has mentioned that yet.
Too christiany
Edit. I liked it too.

Last edited:
Comic book movies probably don't count, but I will throw in Spiderman with Tobey McGuire.

Hard to do just five, but if pressed I guess I'd say

1. The Thing From Another World (1951)
2. The Terminator
3. Aliens
4. The Thing (1982)
5. Webb Wilder Corn Flicks

1. Star Wars / Empire Strikes Back - (has to be there...it changed the genre forever...but Empire was better. Can't have one without the other.)
2. Alien / Aliens (not many sequels rival the original, but this one did...and then some. Can't have one without the other.)
3. The Thing (1982)
4. The Terminator (self explanatory)
5. Predator

What about funky ass Sci Fi films? I used to love the original The Fly as a kid. Others I thought were cool as a kid were The Black Hole, 2001: ASO (and 2010 with Roy Scheider chasing sharks in space:) ). I loved TimeRider: The Adventures of Lyle Swann, Krull (which is probably more Space Fantasy than Sci-Fi).

I once rented Event Horizon and felt like someone knocked me out in an alley and stole my $3.00 bucks. That was a good idea made into a terrible film. Kind of a rip off of Alien, though.

More recently, I liked Prometheus, but they could have done som much more with it.

I was highly disappointed with Prometheus. Loved the original Star War movies.

Alien (nothing else close, IMO)
Empire Strikes Back (still the best of the Star Wars series, a no-brainer considering Gigli was better than the last 3)
War of the Worlds (the original - scarred the CRAP out of me when I was a kid)
Independence Day (I don't know why, but I can watch this movie over and over)
Terminator/T2

Anyone remember Time Bandits from the early '80's? Very bizarre but strangely entertaining. Wouldn't say top 5. But underrated. Also, really loved Logan's Run as a kid.