Top 5 SU defensive players of all time | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Top 5 SU defensive players of all time

I think the best zone ever would be:

Gbinije
MCW
Lydon
Grant
Etan.

Blocks and steals everywhere. Teams would have a difficult time scoring 40 against that lineup. Yes, I know Lydon is a 5 on this small ball team.

Southerland has been Boeheim's best defensive wing since he went all-zone, so I'd have to put him there unless someone has a compelling reason to use a great defender from the pre-zone era.

LOL. Yeah, Southy and Mookie. :p

Southy had the stealth Weapons of @ss Destruction he would unleash on the court. :eek:

Last edited:

Gbinije
MCW
Lydon
Grant
Etan.

Blocks and steals everywhere. Teams would have a difficult time scoring 40 against that lineup. Yes, I know Lydon is a 5 on this small ball team.

Wasn't Etan a 5?

Dave Bing
Stevie Thompson
John Wallace
Derrick Coleman
Etan Thomas

No offense, but Wallace was a mediocre defender, at best.
Coleman was decent (GREAT shot-blocker), but D wasn't his calling card.
Was Bing known for his D? At all? I'm serious - I don't know.
Stevie - decent defender, but hardly top-5 all time for guards.
Etan - ok, so you got one pretty correct.
Although, as much as it pains me to say it, Fab might have been better - because he was also so great at drawing charges too.
I'd give Etan the nod for his full career, and because we all love Fab so much for torpedoing that potential NC run.

For me, the guards would have to be some combo of:
Jason Hart, MCW, Triche, and Silent G. Rautins #5 at best.

Forwards - hmm, hard to say:
DC (as mentioned above) was a GREAT shot-blocker at forward, but got even more when he was at C.
Jerami Grant was a good defender, and he and Wes are probably our 2 best weak-side shot blockers ever.

Center - Etan or Fab.
The Louie & Bouie Show was before my time, so I won't argue if somebody who 'knows', says that Rosey was our best D center.

Last edited:
Worth an honorable mention in the middle are Conrad McRae, Jeremy McNeill, and Otis Hill.

And holy crap I forgot Roosevelt Bouie. He might even be first team.
Bouie was my very first thought. Maybe I am too old or just not as well schooled as others, but I think he would my first pick at center.

Bouie was my very first thought. Maybe I am too old or just not as well schooled as others, but I think he would my first pick at center.
Now that you mention it, Wendell Alexis is worth a mention as well. Bowie, Louie, Alexis, Addison, and Shack all took their D pretty seriously.

I think of Eddie Moss ,Pearl , Rosie Bouie (Bouie Boomerang), Hart, Pace too
As a straight up man defender - Eddie Moss for sure.

Gbinije
MCW
Lydon
Grant
Etan.

Lydon doesnt belong anywhere near this list right now. He isnt a good defender. He can block some shots - and has come up clutch the last few games - but he is not a great defender in the zone.

I would be pretty surprised if he didnt have the worst +/- vs the guy he was guarding on the team this year. As soon as teams see him at the 5, they start attacking.

He has been really good in the press because he is really smart. Knows when to attack and is creative in blocking the shots. Its not just a im going to out jump you block. But in normal 2-3, he is just too small and gets abused. Look no further than the 1st 36 min of the zaga game

Lydon doesnt belong anywhere near this list right now. He isnt a good defender. He can block some shots - and has come up clutch the last few games - but he is not a great defender in the zone.

I would be pretty surprised if he didnt have the worst +/- vs the guy he was guarding on the team this year. As soon as teams see him at the 5, they start attacking.

He has been really good in the press because he is really smart. Knows when to attack and is creative in blocking the shots. Its not just a im going to out jump you block. But in normal 2-3, he is just too small and gets abused. Look no further than the 1st 36 min of the zaga game
I agree and I do think he will get better but the weak spot in the D this year has been allowing the bigs to get behind the curtain for easy baskets...and that has been on Lydon and Coleman.

Starters: Hart, Silent G, Southy, DC and Fab with MCW, Triche, Stevie Thompson, Grant and Etan coming off the bench.

Given a Boeheim 2-3 zone, who are the 5 guys you want in the zone. Offense is not an issue. My 5:

C Seikaly
F Coleman
F Warrick
G Stevie
G Santifer

Lots of good choices - I'm sure I've missed some.
Rosie was way better on D than Rony, best defensive center ever at SU. I remember him blocking umpteen shots at Purdue when the had JBC and half the blocks were dunk attempts

No offense, but Wallace was a mediocre defender, at best.
Coleman was decent (GREAT shot-blocker), but D wasn't his calling card.
Was Bing known for his D? At all? I'm serious - I don't know.
Stevie - decent defender, but hardly top-5 all time for guards.
Etan - ok, so you got one pretty correct.
Although, as much as it pains me to say it, Fab might have been better - because he was also so great at drawing charges too.
I'd give Etan the nod for his full career, and because we all love Fab so much for torpedoing that potential NC run.

For me, the guards would have to be some combo of:
Jason Hart, MCW, Triche, and Silent G. Rautins #5 at best.

Forwards - hmm, hard to say:
DC (as mentioned above) was a GREAT shot-blocker at forward, but got even more when he was at C.
Jerami Grant was a good defender, and he and Wes are probably our 2 best weak-side shot blockers ever.

Center - Etan or Fab.
The Louie & Bouie Show was before my time, so I won't argue if somebody who 'knows', says that Rosey was our best D center.

I never saw Bing play but JB said he is the best ever so I am assuming he could play a little D in his day. I could be dead wrong but this pick is simply out of respect for his overall greatness.

Stevie - Statistically he is not a top 5 guard for steals at SU but I think his ability to defend both the guard and forward positions made him extremely valuable. Hart was very good and he easily could make this list. MCW was good for his only year playing. Triche I'm not sure I agree with. Sherman was also very good.

When DC wanted to defend there was no one better on the interior. He got into a lot of guys heads.

I don't agree with your assessment on Wallace. But I also have no issue with someone picking Billy.

Bouie should probably get the nod but Etan was TWICE named Big East Defensive Player of the Year. That puts him in an exclusive club. He was a tremendous shot blocker. Fab is dead to me and I would never grant him "top" anything at SU.

stevie thompson is arguably our best defender ever. etan thomas would get my nod in the middle.

Given a Boeheim 2-3 zone, who are the 5 guys you want in the zone. Offense is not an issue. My 5:

C Seikaly
F Coleman
F Warrick
G Stevie
G Santifer

Lots of good choices - I'm sure I've missed some.

Really great question.

Me:

C - Rosie
PF- Derrick Coleman
SF - Todd Burgan (watch the improbably '96 run)
G- Jason Hart
G- MCW (definitely with the steals...Eddie Moss, though pre-3-pt area on front perimeter was so different)

Rosie was way better on D than Rony, best defensive center ever at SU. I remember him blocking umpteen shots at Purdue when the had JBC and half the blocks were dunk attempts
That's the game I always remember... that game was amazing. Rosie had Al McGuire just gushing...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom