Top Chef | Syracusefan.com

Top Chef

tbonezone

Living Legend
anybody following this season? coming down to the final four. and last chance kitchen winner is...

padma-lakshmi-1024x768-25651.jpg

I think we will all be winners once they get to Maui and they show Padma in the bikinis.

Good season so far. The wife and I are way into it. Think Carlos got hosed on the last episode but feel like he will be back after winning last chance kitchen.

And I am DYING to get back to New Orleans now. Just amazing food down there.

I just hate the "last chance kitchen" idea; it is so unfair. The other final four members are not going to get a second bite at the apple. If you are going to let a loser back into the tournament, then it should be double elimination for all the remaining contestants from the point of re-entry forward. Last season, I liked Kristen, but her win was total bullshit as far as I am concerned. She should have had to face off with both Sheldon and Brooke to give them their own second chances.

I just hate the "last chance kitchen" idea; it is so unfair. The other final four members are not going to get a second bite at the apple. If you are going to let a loser back into the tournament, then it should be double elimination for all the remaining contestants from the point of re-entry forward. Last season, I liked Kristen, but her win was total bullshit as far as I am concerned. She should have had to face off with both Sheldon and Brooke to give them their own second chances.

Very interesting thoughts. I liked Kristin as well last year and thought they sent her home too early - the other woman (Josie I believe) messed up and should have gone home for that mistake. But I see what you are saying about the final 3 not having the same second opportunities the other last chance kitchen players got.

i think it's Carlos coming back to torment nick. i like louis but i think his tuna was a bit overcooked.

Javier-Bardem.jpg

what's the most you ever lost in a quickfire nick? call it! i need you to call it!

Last edited:
speaking of Top Chefs, I ate at William Bradley's restaurant Addison on Saturday night and, as always, it was a brilliant experience. It was my 8th time there; I always get the Chef's Tasting Menu, and it always leaves me amazed. Bradley was recently named winner of the 2013 Global Culinary Master event in a competition sponsored by the Robb Report.

The wife and I ate at Uchiko a couple years ago in Austin. Fantastic meal even though Paul Qui wasn't there that night.

well i was wrong about machete. final 4 double elimination it was last chance champ louis who was reborn.
(perhaps the remaining 3 cheftestants picked the weaker dish?) speculation. anyways louis renaissance was short-lived as he and plucky ducky shirley got the big aloha. it's island girl nina vs. newtude nick in the final.
(and yes the previews do show the lovely padma wading thru the surf in a bikini). can't wait.

FINALE TONIGHT!

who do you like ? nina has been winning with some pretty simple dishes (fettucine,potato salad?) which seem to have a lot of flavor but not much technique. flip side to nick who seems to overthink each dish and masters the technique but lacks basic seasoning. should be a good match.
one thing i myself would prefer is to see the judges rate the dishes without knowing prior who prepared them . eliminate any bias. bon appetite!

FINALE TONIGHT!

who do you like ? nina has been winning with some pretty simple dishes (fettucine,potato salad?) which seem to have a lot of flavor but not much technique. flip side to nick who seems to overthink each dish and masters the technique but lacks basic seasoning. should be a good match.
one thing i myself would prefer is to see the judges rate the dishes without knowing prior who prepared them . eliminate any bias. bon appetite!

I like Nina. I'm just glad nick didn't give into the bs when they tried to make him fall on his sword when he had immunity. Total BS, rules are rules. He earned it.

total mismatch . . . nick is a hack

agree with Matt about the way they tried to pressure him out, though. and I'm kind of surprised that some contestant hasn't used the immunity to purposely take out an opponent. if they are going to combine immunity with team challenges, there should be aggressive tanking involved.

well on the halloween challenge nina did totally sandbag her dooshbag teammate michael (booboo). one of the most irritating cheftestants ever.

what a disgrace . . . although, the history of the show is that the chef who dominates the season frequently loses the finale (Richard Blais, Stefan Richter, Kevin Gillespie, Angelo Sosa). Add Nina to that list now.

sounds like dessert is what did nina in. i'm a little surprised she couldn't make her ice cream without an ice cream maker . it's very simple.

padma.jpg

Last edited:
what a disgrace . . . although, the history of the show is that the chef who dominates the season frequently loses the finale (Richard Blais, Stefan Richter, Kevin Gillespie, Angelo Sosa). Add Nina to that list now.

The wife was pissed about that one. I guess it's all about the editing since we can't actually taste the food ourselves.

Once again, a dessert trips a contestant up.

FINALE TONIGHT!

I really think the seasoning thing is way overblown. Everytime I eat at one of the highly rated "gastropubs" here in VT and really elsewhere, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of salt chefs who think way too much of themselves use. Especially with a great piece of fish like they had for that crudo. Let the food flavors speak for themselves.

I really think the seasoning thing is way overblown. Everytime I eat at one of the highly rated "gastropubs" here in VT and really elsewhere, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of salt chefs who think way too much of themselves use. Especially with a great piece of fish like they had for that crudo. Let the food flavors speak for themselves.

Hey, where do you like to eat in or near Burlington? We don't get off the island very much in the summer but usually have a few shots downtown, etc. Really like Tiny Thai in Winooski.

Hey, where do you like to eat in or near Burlington? We don't get off the island very much in the summer but usually have a few shots downtown, etc. Really like Tiny Thai in Winooski.

Winooski is a hot bed of great restaurants now. Tiny Thai is my wife's favorite. Mule Bar is up the street from them and that's really good. Our House is outstanding, if a little slow. Their mac and cheeses are ridiculously good. Misery Loves Company is also great.

In town we usually go to Farmhouse Tap and Grill when we want a really good burger and a great beer. The Farmhouse group has been buying up a bunch of older restaurants and redoing them in the farm to table style. They have a new taco joint that while very tasty is way too expensive (it's called the 5 dollar taco place lately). Guild is a very nice and expensive steakhouse just outside of town.

By the way, if you are wondering. The gastropub I was talking about is Bluebird Tavern.

Ithaca, I'm sure you've been to Blue Paddle up in the Islands. We like it there as well. Don't get up there much though.

By the way, if you are wondering. The gastropub I was talking about is Bluebird Tavern.

Ithaca, I'm sure you've been to Blue Paddle up in the Islands. We like it there as well. Don't get up there much though.

Farmhouse is fantastic, love that place we go there for lunch quite a bit. Great beers, food is so fresh. They do a great job there. Blue Paddle is always solid, love the bar there in the winter time, we go up once or twice in the winter. A bit over priced though. I think Bluebird is overrated I am with you there. Heard good things about Mule Bar as well. Tiny Thai is great to bring in a bottle of wine or 6 pack. Great stuff. Pans pizza on the island is great too, take out only and we have had a couple nice meals at the North Hero house as well.

Thanks

i see the Essex resort offers a weekend package that can include cooking classes for the alpine challenged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom