Class of 2017 - Top recruits still available... | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Top recruits still available...

jordville

Hall of Fame
First, let’s get our second commitment from Bourama tomorrow!

Here are the 2017 top recruits still available…
Wendell Carter (Duke?)
Mo Bamba – offered – even more unlikely without Green
Trevon Duval – offered – top PG but messy situation (not in final 5)
Brandon McCoy (Oregon vs. Zona vs. Mich. St.?)
Kevin Knox (Duke vs. UK?)
Hami Diallo – offered – unlikely without QG (someone needs to tell him that Frank Howard is legit)
Brian Bowen (Mich. St. vs. Zona?)
Trae Young (UK vs. Oklahoma?)
MJ Walker – he always showed interest in SU, not Dad though (Maryland?)
Jarred Vanderbilt (UK vs. TCU vs. Texas?)
Matt Coleman – offered – stopped recruiting him (thanks to QG)
Charles O’Bannon Jr. (Texas vs. USC vs. UCLA?)
Jordan Tucker – offered – hopefully he shows some maturity @ Wheeler & we grab him in the spring
Ikechukwu Obiagu (Baylor vs. Maryland?)
Isaiah Stokes (Texas vs. Iowa St.?)
Alonzo Verge Jr. (3/4star 6’3 PG from Illinois)
Amauri Hardy (3/4star 6’1 PG from Michigan)
Jay Estime (3/4star 6’5 SG from Georgia)
Jacob Epperson (3/4star 6’11 C from Australia)
Darien Jackson (Kansas St.?)
Andre Rafus (TCU?)
Jarrod Simmons (Penn?)
Terrell Turner (3star CG from Florida)
Howard Washington (available if we want him)
Malik Zachery (3star 6’2 PG from Syracuse)

In the end, JB and staff will put together another solid class for next year (probably with another grad transfer or two). Hopefully, we also learn from this 2017 class/cycle, go hard after recruits in the 2018 class, and not put all of our eggs in one basket.

In the end, JB and staff will put together another solid class for next year (probably with another grad transfer or two). Hopefully, we also learn from this 2017 class/cycle, go hard after recruits in the 2018 class, and not put all of our eggs in one basket.

Well, if you go look at this chart and look at the current senior and junior classes, I see some pretty spotty recruiting. A lot of guys who haven't helped us and washed out. Yes, there was the scholarship problem but none of those guys was lighting it up for us before they left. There a 1 year PG who was surprisingly excellent, two four year big men, a half season kid who is a borderline pro and 4 transfers altogether. Ouch. We really need a good class this year to get back on solid footing after the sanctions.

Well, if you go look at this chart and look at the current senior and junior classes, I see some pretty spotty recruiting. A lot of guys who haven't helped us and washed out. Yes, there was the scholarship problem but none of those guys was lighting it up for us before they left. There a 1 year PG who was surprisingly excellent, two four year big men, a half season kid who is a borderline pro and 4 transfers altogether. Ouch. We really need a good class this year to get back on solid footing after the sanctions.
I like the following HS prospects
Jamir Moultrie 6-2 PG MD
Jordan Tucker 6-7 SG/SF NY/GA
Andre Rafus 6-9 SF MD

Then add in a top grad transfer SG/SF and we should be able to compete next year. The outside shooting would be much improved With Tucker and Rafus.

Maybe we need to think outside the box a little and see if there are any top flight '18 guys who would be willing and able to reclassify into the '17 class. It seems like every year there are 2-3 who reclassify back into their original class and this might be an opportunity for us as the well for '17 is drying up at high caliber guard.

Here are the 2017 top recruits still available…
Wendell Carter (Duke?)
Mo Bamba – offered – even more unlikely without Green
Trevon Duval – offered – top PG but messy situation (not in final 5)
Brandon McCoy (Oregon vs. Zona vs. Mich. St.?)
Kevin Knox (Duke vs. UK?)
Hami Diallo – offered – unlikely without QG (someone needs to tell him that Frank Howard is legit)
Brian Bowen (Mich. St. vs. Zona?)
Trae Young (UK vs. Oklahoma?)
MJ Walker – he always showed interest in SU, not Dad though (Maryland?)
Jarred Vanderbilt (UK vs. TCU vs. Texas?)
Matt Coleman – offered – stopped recruiting him (thanks to QG)
Charles O’Bannon Jr. (Texas vs. USC vs. UCLA?)
Jordan Tucker – offered – hopefully he shows some maturity @ Wheeler & we grab him in the spring
Ikechukwu Obiagu (Baylor vs. Maryland?)
Isaiah Stokes (Texas vs. Iowa St.?)
Alonzo Verge Jr. (3/4star 6’3 PG from Illinois)
Amauri Hardy (3/4star 6’1 PG from Michigan)
Jay Estime (3/4star 6’5 SG from Georgia)
Jacob Epperson (3/4star 6’11 C from Australia)
Darien Jackson (Kansas St.?)
Andre Rafus (TCU?)
Jarrod Simmons (Penn?)
Terrell Turner (3star CG from Florida)
Howard Washington (available if we want him)
Malik Zachery (3star 6’2 PG from Syracuse)

This list just shows that we'll have to make some moves in the grad transfer game again.

I doubt we ever get lucky enough to grab two guys as quality as White and Gillon so this is a route I'd prefer not to rely on.

Depending on who comes back next year could be a very long year.

I say offer Coleman the reins to him and tell him it will be his team to run and gun, just like you were going to for Green. It may be to late but this kid in my opinion is as good as Q. Green and have said it all along. We should have taken him when the taken was there. I am sure the coaches won't do this again, or at least I hope not.

Some folks are saying to go the grad transfer route again this coming year, but I think the current year is an aberration. Who is the last big grad transfer guy that has been a difference maker? No googling allowed!

I say offer Coleman the reins to him and tell him it will be his team to run and gun, just like you were going to for Green. It may be to late but this kid in my opinion is as good as Q. Green and have said it all along. We should have taken him when the taken was there. I am sure the coaches won't do this again, or at least I hope not.
This is one of those dumb message board myths that gets perpetuated by a handful of posters. Simply "taking" Coleman was never an option. By ALL accounts we were in the mix somewhat but we were never remotely in a position to simply "take" him.

Last edited:
Some folks are saying to go the grad transfer route again this coming year, but I think the current year is an aberration. Who is the last big grad transfer guy that has been a difference maker? No googling allowed!
Trey Lewis last year? Would have been a huge addition, if they didn't ban themselves from the tourney.

Since we are all talking crazy about even attempting to talk to Coleman again. Let's get even crazier and throw this name out there in the grad transfer market......

BJ JOHNSON!!!!

It is worth contacting Coleman - it is worth contacting Duval - regardless, if we could land Tucker and get one more decent player or perhaps stud like Bamba or Diallo we would be absolutely fine - this season is an anomaly - we don't go past 7-8 players - the key is that Battle stays another year - the second key is that Lydon stays one more year - the third key is the 2018 class

Don't think we would have got Coleman even if we recruited him hard from the start. We don't need a star PG for 2017 anyway. Look for someone in 2018 and concentrate on getting quality wings/shooting guards.

The Malachi/Lydon/Howard class was pretty good. It would have been great if Diange was cleared. This years class is pretty good. Not sure why some people are so down on Moyer all of a sudden. We've had a lot of solid players Redshirt that have produced for us later in their careers.

Shonn Miller had he not gone to uconn would have been really good.

So you want to throw Frank Howard under the bus and go with an unproven freshman to run the team.

Losing QG hurts, but to me it is not for losing QG himself... it is the loss of potential players that may have signed on to play with him... Hami, Lonnie, Brandon, Mo, etc. We'll never know since he dragged his feet and ultimately flipped.

Biggest need will be quality wings next year. I still say go hard after Hami and let him know how good Frank is and will be next year.. making Hami looking that much better for NBA scouts. And I'm still in the camp of pursuing Jordan Tucker. Looking forward to catching some Wheeler games.

I think it could be useful to look into JuCo's again. The overseas market is rich... if you can find a kid that wants to play college ball. Grad transfers was a major hit this year... I just don't think that will always be an automatic. We struck gold this year.

I agree that Quade wasn't a must have because of a Jr. Howard, but I would love to be able to pick up a combo guard like Triche and a stud SF. Is it too late to hire Mike Porter's dad as an assistant?

Depending on who comes back next year could be a very long year.
The bigger question - will JB want to stick around to end his career with an NIT or go out on a much higher note this year?

This kind of talk is stupid. Any team with Howard, Battle, and Thompson at the nucleus isn't going to the NIT.
Battle is not coming back. He has the potential and measurables that scouts love. He doesn't need to put up numbers.

Even with battle we are razor thin at the 1-2-3 and lacking shooters to spread the floor. Our ceiling would be a bubble team.

Battle is not coming back. He has the potential and measurable. He doesn't need to put up numbers.

Even with battle we are razor thin at the 1-2-3. Our ceiling would be a bubble team.

Thanks, Nostradamus.

Let's see how it plays out.

Agree about the lack of depth--as things stand today. How'd our depth look in April 2016 after mali declared? How does it look now?

Thanks, Nostradamus.

Let's see how it plays out.
You guaranteed that there's no way they'll be in the NIT. Did that come to you in a psychic vision, Mr. Cayce?