Class of 2017 - Top recruits still available... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Top recruits still available...

So, reading Mike Water's article this morning was interesting, but didn't provide much data. And not many new names to consider.

As things stand now, we have semi-adequate depth at point [assuming Battle can back that position up], and more than adequate depth at the 4 / 5 spots. But nothing at 2 / 3 for depth, and a hole at one of those wing positions in the starting lineup.

In order to build depth at the wing positions, here's what I think needs to happen:
  • All stops need to be pulled out to land Jordan Tucker, who could start right away at the 3
  • People probably need to wrap their heads around Howard Washington as a viable possibility to build depth. Recruit over him in 2018
  • Andre Rufus--if we can get back involved, I'd consider it if I were the coaching staff. Seems like the kind of athlete who thrives in our system
  • I'd be scouring the JUCO ranks for a 2/3 versatile combo who can back up both positions, and potentially start
  • Hit the 5th year transfer market hard after the season ends

Thanks, Nostradamus.

Let's see how it plays out.

Agree about the lack of depth--as things stand today. How'd our depth look in April 2016 after mali declared? How does it look now?

Currently the 30th ranked freshman according to Draft Express. He's way down the pecking order right now, but obviously that could change. The SG/SF positions are loaded this year.

DraftExpress Rankings: NCAA Freshmen

You guaranteed that there's no way they'll be in the NIT. Did that come to you in a psychic vision, Mr. Cayce?

Learn to read, Chicken Little. I didn't "guarantee" anything -- I said that a nucleus of Howard / Battle / TT is much better than the NIT debacle you have them slated for.

Honestly, is there not a negative situation that you don't overreact to?

So, reading Mike Water's article this morning was interesting, but didn't provide much data. And not many new names to consider.

In order to build depth at the wing positions, here's what I think needs to happen:
  • All stops need to be pulled out to land Jordan Tucker, who could start right away at the 3
  • People probably need to wrap their heads around Howard Washington as a viable possibility to build depth. Recruit over him in 2018
  • Andre Rufus--if we can get back involved, I'd consider it if I were the coaching staff. Seems like the kind of athlete who thrives in our system
  • I'd be scouring the JUCO ranks for a 2/3 versatile combo who can back up both positions, and potentially start

The JC route hasn't been discussed much. Not sure why. Pitino has used it successfully in recent years. It is a solid stop-gap option. Lastly, I would add Hameir Wright. If we can loop him in, plus Tucker, we are in business at the 2/3/4 spots, with Brissett.

The JC route hasn't been discussed much. Not sure why. Pitino has used it successfully in recent years. It is a solid stop-gap option. Lastly, I would add Hameir Wright. If we can loop him in, plus Tucker, we are in business at the 2/3/4 spots, with Brissett.

JB has only dipped into the JUCO well a handful of times over four decades. We don't do it much. The last time [Kritof Ongenaet] worked out pretty well, and that's the type of recruit we should target--get an athlete who can play the wing and won't mind coming off of the bench.

JB has only dipped into the JUCO well a handful of times over four decades. We don't do it much. The last time [Kritof Ongenaet] worked out pretty well, and that's the type of recruit we should target--get an athlete who can play the wing and won't mind coming off of the bench.

Agree, given slim pickings out there, if we can score an adequate/solid JC or 5th year guard (or maybe 2), that would likely serve us until 2018. Now if the staff and GMac flame out again...

The bigger question - will JB want to stick around to end his career with an NIT or go out on a much higher note this year?

People accuse JB of a lot of things, but a massive ego, he does not have. He would never leave Hop in such a bind, if the decision is up to him. He loves the program and the University, and I am certain he will do everything in his power to make the transition as smooth as possible. Think BO to DJT (with the expectation Hop is no dbag DJT of course!)

As things stand now, we have semi-adequate depth at point [assuming Battle can back that position up], and more than adequate depth at the 4 / 5 spots. But nothing at 2 / 3 for depth, and a hole at one of those wing positions in the starting lineup.

Replace Rafus with Hameir Wright and I think we are talking. This Howard Washington thing thats been pushed by the Jeff Kelly/Mike McAllister's of the world is alright, but I just don't see it. Buss Patterson 2.0.

Agreed. I mentioned those on the previous page. ;)

Some folks are saying to go the grad transfer route again this coming year, but I think the current year is an aberration. Who is the last big grad transfer guy that has been a difference maker? No googling allowed!

I think the kid for Lville but then they self-impossed. I think its much more reasonable to get guys to fill missing roles and add depth than it is to get star players via grad transfer. There isn't going to be an Andrew White every season who had his name in consideration for the draft. Every D1 team with an open ship would have taken White this year. Even Gillon who was a great find and pick up by the staff is IMO an above average grad transfer who has obviously been over looked during his career because of his height.

Thought I included the 2018 class on my previous post. Must have been on another page. But yes, I would see if we can get Hameir to get back into the 2017 class. That, and go all in on Cam!

The nice part about the JUCO rout is that you have a very good idea of what you are getting and the odds of immediate contributions are generally higher than that of a lessor regarded 3/4 star freshman.

All going to be fights with UK/Duke IMO.

Agreed. How nice would it be to get an early commit for a top tier player though? I know it isn't the cool thing to do anymore in the recruiting world. But it sure would be nice for Syracuse to get one for the future.

This list just shows that we'll have to make some moves in the grad transfer game again.

I doubt we ever get lucky enough to grab two guys as quality as White and Gillon so this is a route I'd prefer not to rely on.

Depending on who comes back next year could be a very long year.

Not sure I'd call it luck. More like identifying players on the transfer market and recruiting them to you team. It's very much akin to normal recruiting only with more tape vs college players. If anything, it's easier to identify players that fit.

I would really love to see Syracuse try and reach the overseas player market. If a kid in Europe or Asia wants into the NBA, it would do them wonders to play College ball and learn the US game and language. As we have seen, it's very difficult for us to compete with the likes of UK and Duke for American players. Why not get our own WWW and focus on the talents overseas. The overseas market is almost untapped on the college level and we could advertise Syracuse as the one/two year stop for foreign players to the NBA.

If we keep the same recruiting strategy that we have been using, what happened will happen again. Why not try something different and think even bigger than American 5 star recruits. Why not think Global 5 star recruits. Like QG said it was business. Exactly...this is a business and we need something to make our brand more competitive. WWC - World Wide Cuse!!

I would really love to see Syracuse try and reach the overseas player market. If a kid in Europe or Asia wants into the NBA, it would do them wonders to play College ball and learn the US game and language. As we have seen, it's very difficult for us to compete with the likes of UK and Duke for American players. Why not get our own WWW and focus on the talents overseas. The overseas market is almost untapped on the college level and we could advertise Syracuse as the one/two year stop for foreign players to the NBA.

If we keep the same recruiting strategy that we have been using, what happened will happen again. Why not try something different and think even bigger than American 5 star recruits. Why not think Global 5 star recruits. Like QG said it was business. Exactly...this is a business and we need something to make our brand more competitive. WWC - World Wide Cuse!!

I'm on board for this as I've mentioned it before as well. There is so much potential there. It can be tricky/messy with those kids because many can be considered "professionals" because of their club teams. That, and our good friend the NCAA.

This kind of talk is stupid. Any team with Howard, Battle, and Thompson at the nucleus isn't going to the NIT.

We were NIT bound in '15 if allowed and came within a razor thin margin of heading there last year
Learn to read, Chicken Little. I didn't "guarantee" anything -- I said that a nucleus of Howard / Battle / TT is much better than the NIT debacle you have them slated for.

Honestly, is there not a negative situation that you don't overreact to?

We were going to be an NIT team '15 with Rak being the best player in the conference and with Gbinije/Cooney and our asses were parked directly on the bubble last year so its a pretty reasonable assumption that would be the case again next year. This year is the year to feast.

We were NIT bound in '15 if allowed and came within a razor thin margin of heading there last year

We were going to be an NIT team '15 with Rak being the best player in the conference and with Gbinije/Cooney and our asses were parked directly on the bubble last year so its a pretty reasonable assumption that would be the case again next year. This year is the year to feast.

McCullough also got hurt in 15 and we had the worst PG in Syracuse history in 2015.

Last year we had no pg and no defensive big. That won't be a problem next year.

McCullough also got hurt in 15 and we had the worst PG in Syracuse history in 2015.

Last year we had no pg and no defensive big. That won't be a problem next year.

And how do you expect to score the 70+ppg we're going to need next year with/without Battle? Howard going to just turn into an 18ppg guy? Doubtful, Chukwu isn't going to contribute anything on offense. There is literally going to be about 20ppg in returning scoring if Battle is gone.

And how do you expect to score the 70+ppg we're going to need next year with/without Battle? Howard going to just turn into an 18ppg guy? Doubtful, Chukwu isn't going to contribute anything on offense. There is literally going to be about 20ppg in returning scoring if Battle is gone.

Taurean and Howard will be an excellent 1/2 punch. If Battle plays the role he's playing right now all year, I don't see him going anywhere. Who know's how Moyer will improve.

This is one of those dumb message board myths that gets perpetuated by a handful of posters. Simply "taking" Coleman was never an option. By ALL accounts we were in the mix somewhat but we were never remotely in a position to simply "take" him.
You're probably right, but it isn't clear to me if the coaches backed off of him when they thought they had QG in the bag. I hope that they didn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom