Top ten defense next year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Top ten defense next year

I think we definitely will continue to get better on both sides of the ball but particularly the defense with a few question marks, but if we continue to bring in big strong athletic athletes on our defense we're going to continue to get better.
The ends look strong but a lot of that will depend on with slayton gone how the other guys in the interior will step up.
the linebackers have a ton of potential but also very young so a lot of that will depend on how good they are coming out the gate but I don't think it wont be a huge drop off because we brought good linebackers in the past 2 years specifically.
The same thing with the defensive backs and safeties. We all know about Cisco. imagine how good he will be if he improves like most people do from freshman to sophomore! Cameron Janos has so much potential. I was very excited about him when we got him here, just hoping his injury won't prevent him from getting 100% healthy.
I used to have a lot of question with the Tampa 2 and Ward but I was really pleasantly surprised about how fundamentally sound they were last year, all the turnovers they forced and always or alot of the time being places they were supposed to be at.
We will continue to get better on the defensive side of the ball.
As long as we keep Dino babers here for the long-term the sky is the limit in my opinion
Especially with the improvements to the dome and keep puting money into the program we're okay. We're in the ACC now so no excuse. If you want to take the next step you got to keep up with the facility arms race

Last edited:
Obviously Alton Robinson is the best we've had since freeney and will be a high draft choice. And the other guy on the other side had 10 sacks as well so obviously he's good I just forgot his name LOL. McKinley I think it's pretty good and ruff, pretty sure that's where he plays now has been decent in there. So many guys I'm excited about. Can't wait to see what Kingsley can do. Tuazama as well but it most likely won't see the field for a year or two but I'll tell you it's a great time to be a Syracuse football fan! A cuse fan period.
At linebacker we have some good upperclassmen who could definitely see the field but I am very excited about obviously the two young guys that are coming in this
year! Jones and kpogba, can't wait to see them in action! Going to have the opposing quarterback peeing in their pants LOL.
Add on to the defensive backs and safeties like I said you know you got to love Cisco, I like to see what trotter can do, I know he's a freshman coming in but I cannot wait to see what Cornelius nunn can do. he looks like a beast and offers he passed up to come here, you know things are looking up. Everybody's going to be fighting for their position.upperclassmen or not the best guy wins! we've been waiting to get to this point for a long time and we're almost there.

Yeah I think defensive efficiency is probably a better way 2 gauge how were doing on that side of the ball because of how many snaps teams play against us and the eye test as well

Last edited:
I really think with a few things going our way we may make top ten in d next year. What do u guys and gals think.

So, we go from borderline wanting a new system, questioning the T2, and almost calling for ward's head to top 10 talk? All in 6 months?

The T2 took a huge step last year , but was by no means dominant. D line os good, not great and the lbs are a bit of a ???. Love the talent and skill in the back end.

So, we go from borderline wanting a new system, questioning the T2, and almost calling for ward's head to top 10 talk? All in 6 months?

The T2 took a huge step last year , but was by no means dominant. D line os good, not great and the lbs are a bit of a ???. Love the talent and skill in the back end.
Yes pretty much dead on. Tell me we shouldn’t have been mad after Pitt game and Clemson. But they righted the ship and they didn’t play much true t-2. He also slowly got more aggressive with his calls. We have possible 3 future all Americans back ther plus Fred and Scoop. But again ur right on all accounts. I am a little giddy maybe but just remember how good I said they would be k.

Yeah I think defensive efficiency is probably a better way 2 gauge how were doing on that side of the ball because of how many snaps teams play against us and the eye test as well
Efficiency is far and away the best gauge for either side of the ball’s efficacy.

DEFENSE:
Net points per drive
Net yards per drive
Standard deviation of net yards per drive
Turnovers per drive

OFFENSE:
Net yards per drive
Net points per drive
Time of possession per drive
Standard deviation of yards per drive
Standard deviation of time of possession per drive
Turnovers per drive

Those are the offense/defense stats that I think matter.

Special teams is a little more complicated, because it’s more situational (i.e. I can’t blame a punter for a short punt if he lands it inside the 5, and it’s downed on the 1).

An offense that consistently gives its defense time to rest and room to work with (when it doesn’t score), while also consistently scoring is doing its job.

A defense that consistently gives its offense a short field, while keeping the opposing offense from scoring is doing its job.

Worrying about points, yards, etc. in the abstract is a waste of time.

Last edited:
Doubt it. Secondary and Pass rush will probably be awesome. However DT and LB is a concern. Teams should have success running the ball on us. And with our uptempo offense it's almost impossible to have a top 10 defense

I think some people are underestimating how big our DE play will be this year. Clemson coaches said they were best they played last year and I truly feel they will give offenses headaches all game long. I know Slayton is a big loss but instead of doubling 3 shade they have to double somehow our ends. Leave guys in middle single blocked and let’s lb run down hill. I also think no one is excited about our lb but me. All year our lb needed to be downhill and once they were allowed to be it was a different defense. Shy getting his time in and with speed and also Richards back there we will be a lot better than people think. Know u throw in Armstrong and our frosh who any three could play and I’m excited. De will make a massive difference and ruff stands up, WATCHOUT. Lol

I think we have the talent to have a very very good defense. Alton and Kendall are obviously one of the top DE combinations in the entire country, our linebackers while young are very talented and our secondary is loaded. But top 10? That’s tough. The offense we run will always inflate our defensive numbers just because of how much they’re out there, that alone makes it extremely difficult.

I think we have the talent to have a very very good defense. Alton and Kendall are obviously one of the top DE combinations in the entire country, our linebackers while young are very talented and our secondary is loaded. But top 10? That’s tough. The offense we run will always inflate our defensive numbers just because of how much they’re out there, that alone makes it extremely difficult.
I do get caught up in excitement a bit and I forget our offense makes it hard to be a top ten d. Maybe a top ten d in efficiency. Maybe we could do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom