Tournament committee, you ignorant sluts | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Tournament committee, you ignorant sluts

stop putting overrated mid majors as 1 seeds
Then they vastly under-rated several mid-major and even Majors. Baylor was a bubble team? Tennessee a play in team? That's what make this whole thing so great. Name any other sport where a team rated so low (11 seed = about 40 to 44th best) wins not only 1 game but 2 against "better" teams.

hey at least baylor and tennessee both had the balls to step out and play some top tier programs during the season.

kentucky wasn't even ranked in the final ap top 25. that means wichita states best win was against st louis who was imo over rated at #25. WSU ate cupcakes all season long and then cried foul when the committee put some real meat on the table. and that's why i rooted against them today. suck it shockers!

The commitee set up a running man gauntlet for the Shockers and WSU couldn't get past Subzero

Kentucky played the game of their season yesterday. Wichita beats us 6 to 7 out of ten times if we play them. They deserved the one seed. They would be better than everyone in the ACC maybe besides Virginia. If Kentucky plays like they did yesterday they can beat anyone (I hate saying this). Calipari definately has them ready for the tournament. Randle is a man. I'd take him over Parker or Wiggins at least at the college level.

bpo57 said:
That is partly my beef. I don't really care what happened in November if you are playing much differently in March. I am not saying completely ignore it but don't give it equal weighting. That's nuts. Otherwise you are punishing teams by matching them up with underrated teams that are better than their "body of work". Nobody who follows basketball thinks that UK is an 8 seed.

If you ask around here before the tourney a majority of people would have said Kentucky should have been in the NIT.

Briancuse said:
What is so wrong with Lville getting a 4?

We deserved a 4 more than they did.

Cusefan0307 said:
Kentucky played the game of their season yesterday. Wichita beats us 6 to 7 out of ten times if we play them. They deserved the one seed. They would be better than everyone in the ACC maybe besides Virginia. If Kentucky plays like they did yesterday they can beat anyone (I hate saying this). Calipari definately has them ready for the tournament. Randle is a man. I'd take him over Parker or Wiggins at least at the college level.

Wichita has played ONE good team this year and lost. What data would suggest they would beat us, let alone 6-7 times? We looked pretty good against garbage teams this year. When Wichita plays more than zero games against solid teams I'll give then a fair comment, until then I'll continue to say they have done nothing and proved nothing.

" They would be better than everyone in the ACC maybe besides Virginia."
well that's pure speculation on your part and you're entitled to your opinion. impossible to prove becuz the shockers don't face any top ten (even twenty) opponents like every single team in the ACC does. curious though how this great team crumbled at the first real whiff of competition they faced. WSU looked pretty good yesterday. but the committee should be rewarding those teams who have the guts to go out and challenge themselves during the year. and in my opinion wichita state did not .and therefore did not merit the #1 .give them a 3 seed and tell them to schedule better next year if they want a 1.

Last edited:
" They would be better than everyone in the ACC maybe besides Virginia."
well that's pure speculation on your part and you're entitled to your opinion. impossible to prove becuz the shockers don't face any top ten (even twenty) opponents like every single team in the ACC does. curious though how this great team crumbled at the first real whiff of competition they faced. WSU looked pretty good yesterday. but the committee should be rewarding those teams who have the guts to go out and challenge themselves during the year. and in my opinion wichita state did not .and therefore did not merit the #1 .give them a 3 seed and tell them to schedule better next year if they want a 1.

Crumbled? That seems unduly harsh, no? UK played the game of their lives, nailing 3s from every angle, FT after FT. Not like Cal is playing with Jerry Lewis' kids out there either. Randall is a load and he has talent alongside him that has finally started to figure things out. UK plays like they did yesterday then they might be cutting down the nets. I wouldn't bet on that but you are severely underrating UK compared to the rest of the field. Looking at what the SEC has done in this tournament it is now clear that league was a lot better than originally thought.

If you ask around here before the tourney a majority of people would have said Kentucky should have been in the NIT.

I hear ya. Tough to be objective when Homer has his hater glasses on.

Number one seeds have lost to the 8/9 team plenty. And in games played at a much lower level than the one from yesterday. People seem to be forcing this outcome into their little narrative.

actually 33 of the last 36 number 1 seeds have advanced to the sweet sixteen.

Nine years? What an arbitrary number.

Also...
2014 Wichita State
2013 Gonzaga
2011 Pitt
2010 Kansas

But if you go back just a little farther you have Kentucky and Stanford in 2004, Cincinnati in 2002, and Stanford and Arizona in 2000. Not exactly an unheard of event.

Wichita has played ONE good team this year and lost. What data would suggest they would beat us, let alone 6-7 times? We looked pretty good against garbage teams this year. When Wichita plays more than zero games against solid teams I'll give then a fair comment, until then I'll continue to say they have done nothing and proved nothing.

We did? outside of Va tech, and the 2nd half of the wake game, what game did we look good in?

Wsu beats Dayton by double digits.

Fsu is far from a garbage team

What team did Wichita State play would you consider as good as FSU? I guess you could say Saint Louis but it's not like their schedule was great either, the mighty 11-20 George Mason took them to OT twice, they lost to Dayton by the same margin they lost to Wichita. Face it, Wichita played ONE game against a good team and they lost. Sorry, there is no debating that.

What team did Wichita State play would you consider as good as FSU? I guess you could say Saint Louis but it's not like their schedule was great either, the mighty 11-20 George Mason took them to OT twice, they lost to Dayton by the same margin they lost to Wichita. Face it, Wichita played ONE game against a good team and they lost. Sorry, there is no debating that.

There is a debate because you have to look at that game in question. You seem like an intelligent fellow and I am ASSUMING you watched the game. A game where reasonable minds here have stated as well as various coaches/ex-coaches all over the airwaves today how WSU completely validated themselves as a formidable opponent. Kentucky played a near perfect game with NBA talent galore and still barely won. You cannot deny the fact that Kentucky the past few weeks is a vastly different team than earlier in the year. Even Russ Smith said in a loss to them that they are a "bad matchup." Where SU has been as of late (and that is what matters not the Feb 1 team) I wholeheartedly believe WSU or Kentucky would've completely routed Syracuse and it would've been ugly. Both teams have all the parts to pick Syracuse apart at both ends. WSU played like a 1 seed and so did UK. HIGH level game. No more hating on WSU. It's an insult to our intelligence, frankly.

well please allow me to further insult your intelligence with some fact and opinions.
a) wichita states SOS was 110th. (they played 20 schools with rpi> 100)
b) their only signature win was over st louis
c) tho starting the season ranked #1 kentucky ended the season out of the polls (lost 5 of their last 10 and 3 of the last 6).

i did watch the game and stated above that WSU "looked pretty good" . i'll admit that was first i saw them play this season becuz espn didn't carry their games (maybe up on the deuce or espnu) cuz frankly teamX vs. emporia st. ain't drawing any ratings. now i think you'll agree with me that Kentucky was by far the toughest team WSU faced all season ? but don't make the wildcats out to be ncaa juggernauts. THEY'RE NOT! and playing them close validates nothing. (btw most #1 seeds have validated themselves long BEFORE selection sunday much less the second round).
secondly, you seem to think my personal attack (my hate) is directed at the team. it's not. it's clearly directed at the soft schedule they played. as stated above even if the team merits a top seed the easy schedule they played clearly did not!
where's @ kansas?duke?unc?ohio st?syracuse?villanova?mich st?gonzaga?ucla?florida?uconn? even a KENTUCKY?
all the other mid majors find a way to schedule these "@games" . but coach marshall is apparently too proud to schedule an "@game" or too scared enter a top tournament and defends his STA-PUFF soft schedule with "the big guys won't play us!"

keep in my that when i say WSU IMO did not deserve a one seed i'm not attacking the student but rather the homework.
your HS kid may in fact be a genius but his "magical" perfect essay is about Curious George and thus he gets a CEE.

well please allow me to further insult your intelligence with some fact and opinions.
a) wichita states SOS was 110th. (they played 20 schools with rpi> 100)
b) their only signature win was over st louis
c) tho starting the season ranked #1 kentucky ended the season out of the polls (lost 5 of their last 10 and 3 of the last 6).

i did watch the game and stated above that WSU "looked pretty good" . i'll admit that was first i saw them play this season becuz espn didn't carry their games (maybe up on the deuce or espnu) cuz frankly teamX vs. emporia st. ain't drawing any ratings. now i think you'll agree with me that Kentucky was by far the toughest team WSU faced all season ? but don't make the wildcats out to be ncaa juggernauts. THEY'RE NOT! and playing them close validates nothing. (btw most #1 seeds have validated themselves long BEFORE selection sunday much less the second round).
secondly, you seem to think my personal attack (my hate) is directed at the team. it's not. it's clearly directed at the soft schedule they played. as stated above even if the team merits a top seed the easy schedule they played clearly did not!
where's @ kansas?duke?unc?ohio st?syracuse?villanova?mich st?gonzaga?ucla?florida?uconn? even a KENTUCKY?
all the other mid majors find a way to schedule these "@games" . but coach marshall is apparently too proud to schedule an "@game" or too scared enter a top tournament and defends his STA-PUFF soft schedule with "the big guys won't play us!"

keep in my that when i say WSU IMO did not deserve a one seed i'm not attacking the student but rather the homework.
your HS kid may in fact be a genius but his "magical" perfect essay is about Curious George and thus he gets a CEE.

Did I reply to you? No. But, I'll try to help. It absolutely validates WSU IMO because they would've beaten anybody in the country not named Kentucky the other day. As I mentioned, many coaches/ex-choices (guys who have been there) were saying that all day yesterday on the Sirius/XM college sports channel. Kentucky absolutely played like a juggernaut with the clutch shots and FTs as well. That's the whole point man. What is happening now? How are these teams playing now. 1 seeds go down. It happens early sometimes. My point is that both teams played like 1 seeds. Who knows. Give WSU a 1 seed in another bracket and your nightmare comes true man...they're like back in the F4.

EDIT: Bob Knight on Sportscenter just now on WSU. "They play the game of basketball better than anybody I've seen all year." He also said the obvious how (paraphrasing) they ran into a more talented UK team who played their best game all season.

Last edited:

I wasn't debating the fact that they didn't play anyone, I was debating the fact that we looked good against bad teams.

Did you watch the game? That team was far from overrated. They'd beat us by 30. UK played the game of their lives to win.
I was cheering for WS to win, but to think that if they played in a conference like the ACC they would be undefeated or even top seeded is a joke.

Nobody did what the shockers did in the last 23 years... No matter how hard the schedule. In my eyes that validates them.

i would actually respect WSU more if they had actually played a couple good teams and had a couple losses. that to me is more #1 worthy than going undefeated against the muppets. and simply all coach gregg marshall has to do to stop me (and the many others who share this view) from pissing on their program is schedule tougher. otherwise he best buy a hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom