Tournament committee, you ignorant sluts | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Tournament committee, you ignorant sluts

i would actually respect WSU more if they had actually played a couple good teams and had a couple losses. that to me is more #1 worthy than going undefeated against the muppets. and simply all coach gregg marshall has to do to stop me (and the many others who share this view) from pissing on their program is schedule tougher. otherwise he best buy a hat.

If it was so easy to go undefeated, someone should have done it in the 23 years since UNLV did it.

...And why is it a negative that Marshall insists on H/H's? Why does he get penalized for the cowardice of other coaches?

Of course it would be nice if the NCAA would step in and help some of these mid-majors schedule tough games- even if it is getting them access to neutral site tournaments when they are projected to be strong.

On the seeding note, Katz made a good point today about the rush to have the Selection Show end before 60 Minutes which results in the committee finalizing things while the SEC and Big 10 title games are being played. No reason why there couldn't be an adjustment in times to provide time for changes. His point was would Kentucky be an 8 if they hit the final shot against Florida, and why should one shot make a big difference. I don't see why the NCAA doesn't dictate that conference tournaments need to end by 2/3 on Sunday and push the selection show into primetime. I mean wouldn't that draw better ratings and generate more advertising $...

UNLV actually beat top 10 teams during the season and lost in the semifinals. the comparison is actually laughable.
and also further proves my point. UNLV earned the top seed. WSU not so much.

...And why is it a negative that Marshall insists on H/H's? Why does he get penalized for the cowardice of other coaches?

wichita state ain't kansas. they don't get to dictate terms. they haven't earned the right. they know their conference sucks.
and if you want some credibility you have to go out and earn it. and that means "@games". every other mid major does it.

Last edited:
I personally don't think Wichita St should go out of their way to play a bunch of road games.

This is not a program that should be scheduling to justify a #1 seed. It is not at that level. It should schedule what's best to prove it's a tourney team.

But it should understand that while it opens the doors at the middle of the bracket, it closes opportunities at top seeds.

It didn't matter this year because of the "0" -- no matter what they were going to get a #1.

Where it would have been interesting on Selection Sunday is if they had 1 loss. The thing is we still don't really know how good (or not good) Wichita St is, even after the Kentucky loss. With 1 loss, it still may have been a top 5 team in the country. We just have no way of knowing. They should understand that their schedule will not entitle them to the benefit of the doubt on the pod lines. The "0" was a very unique situation that should not repeat itself for a very long time.

Of course it would be nice if the NCAA would step in and help some of these mid-majors schedule tough games- even if it is getting them access to neutral site tournaments when they are projected to be strong.

On the seeding note, Katz made a good point today about the rush to have the Selection Show end before 60 Minutes which results in the committee finalizing things while the SEC and Big 10 title games are being played. No reason why there couldn't be an adjustment in times to provide time for changes. His point was would Kentucky be an 8 if they hit the final shot against Florida, and why should one shot make a big difference. I don't see why the NCAA doesn't dictate that conference tournaments need to end by 2/3 on Sunday and push the selection show into primetime. I mean wouldn't that draw better ratings and generate more advertising $...

It's a good point, for the people that are whining about Kentucky's seed. The committee already had to make contingencies for the B10 title game -- they were not going to make additional contingencies for Kentucky keeping it close on top of the B10 game -- you are going from 2 scenarios to 4 scenarios. It's unreasonable to expect that many contingencies especially to make room for a middle of the bracket team.

They just locked it in as a loss from my perspective. I expected them to get locked at 6/7 before final game to give Kentucky a cushion in case they won or kept it close, but it seems the committee just marked them for a loss. If you are a mid bracket team, you are not going to get any contingencies.

CBS is a rush to get those seeds announced by 6 o'clock and to have the selection show immediately after a basketball broadcast. They don't want a big break and they most certainly do not want non-basketball programming in between a game and the Selection show. CBS demands their seeds by no later than 5:30 so it can prepare, and yet has a game running at the time.

HAH WSU?

We'd beat them by 44.

Dayton was a fluke and clearly jesus was jealous of our righteousness so it was clearly divine intervention that carried the day in Dayton's favor.

Syracuse is the best college basketball, neigh, basketball team in the universe.

UNLV actually beat top 10 teams during the season and lost in the semifinals. the comparison is actually laughable.
and also further proves my point. UNLV earned the top seed. WSU not so much.

Who would have been your 1 seed to replace WS?

It's a good point, for the people that are whining about Kentucky's seed. The committee already had to make contingencies for the B10 title game -- they were not going to make additional contingencies for Kentucky keeping it close on top of the B10 game -- you are going from 2 scenarios to 4 scenarios. It's unreasonable to expect that many contingencies especially to make room for a middle of the bracket team.

They just locked it in as a loss from my perspective. I expected them to get locked at 6/7 before final game to give Kentucky a cushion in case they won or kept it close, but it seems the committee just marked them for a loss. If you are a mid bracket team, you are not going to get any contingencies.

CBS is a rush to get those seeds announced by 6 o'clock and to have the selection show immediately after a basketball broadcast. They don't want a big break and they most certainly do not want non-basketball programming in between a game and the Selection show. CBS demands their seeds by no later than 5:30 so it can prepare, and yet has a game running at the time.

Oh my as Dick Enberg would say. I get the feeling if the Committee Chairman got on tv and dumped a load on the floor you'd comment on its amazing texture. These guys did a horrific job of seeding the teams. Why can't you acknowledge that?

Oh my as Dick Enberg would say. I get the feeling if the Committee Chairman got on tv and dumped a load on the floor you'd comment on its amazing texture. These guys did a horrific job of seeding the teams. Why can't you acknowledge that?

You come on here each year, pre-selection, saying this will happen because of this, this will happen because of this... and you are almost always wrong because the reasons you give are not at all consistent with what the committee says they will do.

The reason you are often wrong on your pre-selection predictions is because you predict/assess things based on how you think they should be done, rather than the way they have said they will be done. Now you are attacking me because I bothered to listen to what they have said they will do, and how things have been historically done.

I make my assessments based on how they said things would be done. Remember when I brought up SMU as a major concern and did not think Louisville would get a great seed - that was for a reason

The committee seeded teams according to how they said they would - the entire body of work and success in the top 25/50/100 games, with a few exceptions. Most notable was Virginia that was a little more eye-testy. but I get the feeling they wanted the last #1 to be earned.

Now I am not saying that you are wrong in saying teams should be seeded under a different philosophy, and under that philosophy teams did not get seeds where they deserve. That is a different discussion. But that is not the philosophy they currently use, so why make predictions or state teams deserve "x" seeds under a different set of rules. And why criticize someone that is assessing things based on current rules?

BTW, I have been very harsh on the committee in the past on Selection Sunday. There have been some years where the seeds did not really follow the criteria they said was important. I don't always kiss their ass as you imply.

This year my predictions (based on the criteria they have established) were pretty bang on - so of course I will think they did a good job.

I think the real point is you don't understand the current process or choose to ignore it. One of the two. Why don't you just acknowledge that.

Last edited:
If Wichita St. was a three or a four what does that make us. That was a high quality game between two teams that could shoot as opposed to the rock fight I saw last night. They ran into a hot Kentucky team that's all.
Likely the best game Kentucky played all year. Finally got the freshman to play together like a team.

You come on here each year, pre-selection, saying this will happen because of this, this will happen because of this... and you are almost always wrong because the reasons you give are not at all consistent with what the committee says they will do.

The reason you are often wrong on your pre-selection predictions is because you predict/assess things based on how you think they should be done, rather than the way they have said they will be done. Now you are attacking me because I bothered to listen to what they have said they will do, and how things have been historically done.

I make my assessments based on how they said things would be done. Remember when I brought up SMU as a major concern and did not think Louisville would get a great seed - that was for a reason

The committee seeded teams according to how they said they would - the entire body of work and success in the top 25/50/100 games, with a few exceptions. Most notable was Virginia that was a little more eye-testy. but I get the feeling they wanted the last #1 to be earned.

Now I am not saying that you are wrong in saying teams should be seeded under a different philosophy, and under that philosophy teams did not get seeds where they deserve. That is a different discussion. But that is not the philosophy they currently use, so why make predictions or state teams deserve "x" seeds under a different set of rules. And why criticize someone that is assessing things based on current rules?

BTW, I have been very harsh on the committee in the past on Selection Sunday. There have been some years where the seeds did not really follow the criteria they said was important. I don't always kiss their ass as you imply.

This year my predictions (based on the criteria they have established) were pretty bang on - so of course I will think they did a good job.

I think the real point is you don't understand the current process or choose to ignore it. One of the two. Why don't you just acknowledge that.

I've already made it very clear to you that my issue is with the criteria. I've said it numerous times and yet it never sinks in for you. This body of work nonsense is stupid. Who cares you beat a good team in November if you're playing like crap in March or vice versa? There has been almost universal agreement amongst those in the college basketball world that Louisville and UK were very poorly seeded. Yet you try to rationalize it by saying the criteria was followed. That is highly debatable but in any event the criteria used is flat out stupid. The last 10 should matter. It's far more predictive than what a team did in November.

As for my predictions being off go back and look I told you UK and Louisville would be in the same bracket and that there would numerous potential coincidental (wink wink) mathchups between instate rivals and former conference members even though the Committee says that never purposely happens. Lol only a fool would believe that. Also said the AAC deserved more respect and that the BE looked shaky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom