Towson Gameday... | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Towson Gameday...

Oh man, I'm glad I'm not the only one! Tuned in during the 2nd quarter. I thought, "Who in the heck is this doing the color?!" Knows the game from what's he saying, but sounds crazed.

And then at half I saw it was none other than Ryan Boyle! Tewaarton winner, right?

His "the attackman one-handed slash on a clear is a play that has been tried 1000 times in the history of the modern sport and has resulted in exactly ZERO turnovers ever" was something special.

I feel much better knowing I wasn't the only one picking up on his commentary being jacked up...WWE sounds about right.

And 1,000 fouls.

Since I was at the game (and missed all the fun), here's a rundown:

TowLAX.jpg

Ya Marks play and the SSDM unit is concerning. Good news is SU shut down Demaio and Weissharr was essentially held in check. Clearly D needs to be way better.
Disappointing that the coaches have still not been able to address our team’s biggest flaw since the beginning of the season… our SSDM play. At least they FINALLY moved Leo to attack and got Mule off the field. That move won us the Virginia game and likely also the game today, too, because it led to our 9 goal 3rd quarter explosion. It was a pretty obvious move to many of us all season, so why it took so long to do it is a bit weird. However, if we don’t dominate the face offs and if their goalie doesn’t repeatedly do the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen in lacrosse by coming so far out of the goal when Spallina is at X with his defender hung in front, then we may have actually lost this game. We could not stop their offense… at all! Why did we continue to put a SSDM on their #0?! He killed our SSDMs all game, and we had no adjustments?! I‘m proud of our players, it feels great to be back in the playoffs and to get a win, but, sorry, I can’t say that I have a lot of confidence in our coaching staff

seems they have mulé birts man up goal which not sure how in world confuse those two. Birt scored yet is credited for goal n don’t remember mulé ever scoring know he had assist but not goal
You’re right. Stats have been awful all year. Mule never scored, doesn’t even play on EMO’s either

Can t play guys who will get beat just to rotate in more players. 4 guys is plenty for a SSSM rotation. I want Rice out there as much as he possibly can. Guys will dig deep in these games. Same if Wriggt is back him and Olexo are the two best and need to be out there as much as they can. This isn't the time to rotate more guys in. Time to dig deep when ur tired.
problem tho if our guys besides rice can’t dig deep. Not saying constantly switch them all time. But give even if just 2-3 runs in first half will save our top guys a ton of energy and ware. Same goes with lsm think schmitch or whatever has done pretty well in short time he has played. I’m not saying to experiment this late in season or anything crazy but a good amount of teams play few more guys early in games in playoffs. Seen third mid line more than handful of times also. You do it early enough (grant long as game isn’t over by then) so can ride your main guys whole second half mostly. Not saying throw guys who haven’t got much time but think spallina/titus lil more in mix will help keep rice/hottle fresh. Plus besides size don’t see big drop off from levine to spallina or titus or hottle or anything. Also same thing goes with schmitch or whatever his name is. He made some big gbs last two games. When temp can be super hott keeping guys fresh is huge. The trick is how to balance it right. Wasn’t calling for a straight steady rotation of people listed all game. But in first half i would sprinkle them in here and there and second half then ride main guys. Super hard and a lot to ask for same guys specially dmid n lsm running all over to do it all game to dig deep and not let up. Some sure can do it but your just waring them down to much that way my opinion.

Disappointing that the coaches have still not been able to address our team’s biggest flaw since the beginning of the season… our SSDM play. At least they FINALLY moved Leo to attack and got Mule off the field. That move won us the Virginia game and likely also the game today, too, because it led to our 9 goal 3rd quarter explosion. It was a pretty obvious move to many of us all season, so why it took so long to do it is a bit weird. However, if we don’t dominate the face offs and if their goalie doesn’t repeatedly do the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen in lacrosse by coming so far out of the goal when Spallina is at X with his defender hung in front, then we may have actually lost this game. We could not stop their offense… at all! Why did we continue to put a SSDM on their #0?! He killed our SSDMs all game, and we had no adjustments?! I‘m proud of our players, it feels great to be back in the playoffs and to get a win, but, sorry, I can’t say that I have a lot of confidence in our coaching staff

Man issue is that the guys who were likely the 3rd and 4th SSDMs are out for the year with injury. Levine has good size but he's getting his first extended runs and is struggling at times. He's also a step to slow which is a problem. Hottle has had some real good moments but again young guy still learning and obviously his height is a concern. We really need a second guy to emerge with Rice. Brent Spallina shows promise but again a fresh getting his first extended run. I suspect SU may hit the portal again for help

is it me and not being mean but find it very hard to listen to joey when he talks lol. Not sure if just nerves or if he’s trying to be very articulate or if actually has stutter (which is fine) just in way drives me crazy lil bit to listen lol. Also did it seem mark was bout to cry at end of his last question of speaking?

1) Really happy that Carter Rice was recognized as an All American. I trust him with the ball/clear more than anyone on the team. Great hustle tonight on his part. Need English to carry a lacrosse ball around campus the way running backs do to emphasize ball security. Ball security is job security.
2) Mule seems like a great kid and he's a really good player but Leo needs to be starting in his spot. Mule should do that move in Rudy where he throws his jersey on Gait's desk.
3) Hats off to Mullen and Kohn - if not for them, the poor goalie play in the first half, offsides penalties, and turnovers would've likely cost us. The matchup of Mullen and the Denver fogo has to be a matchup of the thickest legs in the sport.
4) Ryan Broyle is an awesome commentator.
5) Does anyone know what Hiltz's plans are for next year? He sticking around for another tour? He was fantastic tonight.
6) My daughter is 4 and has her first ever ballet recital next Sunday at noon...she's about to learn what it's like to have a parent "not be there for her." (this is a joke for the record lol)
7) Spallina has a lot of critics but he was awesome tonight. Good for him.

Last edited:
1) Really happy that Carter Rice was recognized as an All American. I trust him with the ball/clear more than anyone on the team. Great hustle tonight on his part. Need English to carry a lacrosse ball around campus the way running backs do to emphasize ball security. Ball security is job security.
2) Mule seems like a great kid and he's a really good player but Leo needs to be starting in his spot. Mule should do that move in Rudy where he throws his jersey on Gait's desk.
3) Hats off to Mullen and Kohn - if not for them, the poor goalie play in the first half, offsides penalties, and turnovers would've likely cost us. The matchup of Mullen and the Denver fogo has to be a matchup of the thickest legs in the sport.
4) Ryan Broyle is an awesome commentator.
5) Does anyone know what Hiltz's plans are for next year? He sticking around for another tour? He was fantastic tonight.
6) My daughter is 4 and has her first ever ballet recital next Sunday at noon...she's about to learn what it's like to have a parent "not be there for her."
7) Spallina has a lot of critics but he was awesome tonight. Good for him.

Dang. Number 6 is savage. I hope you're just joking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom