Transfer Thread | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Transfer Thread

I forgot about Dordevic and him getting a shorty too. I am a little skeptical that Dordevic will come back 100%. He’s had a couple foot issues, right? Those seem to linger. I could see it impacting his explosiveness.

Seebold has to have a monster off season - I don’t see any serious potential there so far - he runs around cradling the ball, passes and never goes to the rack ..I don’t get it

Seebold has to have a monster off season - I don’t see any serious potential there so far - he runs around cradling the ball, passes and never goes to the rack ..I don’t get it
I understand what you're saying. From what we've seen this year and last he has made almost no contribution to the offense when he's on the field. It's strange because Desko mentioned how Seebold was one of the better dodgers in practice. I wonder if it was a tactic to increase Seebold's confidence, which seems lacking from what I see on the field. He has had good offseasons. I remember hearing he played well at Lake Placid with his SU teammates.

In Seebold's best HS highlights, he is dodging from behind the cage and makes a move right at X and gets a step on his defender. If we saw film of his few dodges in games this season, I don't think we'd see many attempts like that. To me that shows he's uncomfortable.

Curry is a definite middie in my opinion. His dodging is best suited to having a full head of steam and just blazing down the alley, not finalizer style moves or other quick direction changes. Also finishing with an alley shot, something he has excelled at this year when he is on his game, is far different from finishing coming around GLE. That requires a great deal of finesse, fakes, and just a general instinct for what type of shot the goalie is anticipating. He has not proven he has that skill set but he has certainly proven his ability as an alley dodger and shooter. Why take him out of a middie dodging role and put him in situations in which he hasn't gained on field experience in his first two years?
I agree with you he is a great middie but the problem remains who plays attack? On the current roster baring a freshman coming in and playing there isn’t a player worth putting at that third attack spot. So of the top 5 middies who do you choose? Curry, Dordevic, Lipka, Trimboli, or Buttermore? My thought is that a player as talented as Curry can learn to play attack. Great players can make plays anywhere. The only dark horse I could see is Lipka because he does have a good finishing ability. The point remains one of those middies has to move down or we play an attackman who is no where near as talented as one of those 5 players.

As far as Seebold goes I think we have to trust Desko on some level and assume there is a reason he is the first attack in off the bench (unless you count cook) instead of Nelson, Berkman, or Quinn and other middies who could potentially move down. He certainly has good size and strength and he at least hasn’t done anything reckless. I assume he likes to use contact rather than pull some ankle breaking moves. He does a good job protecting the ball and I remember he had an impressive moment where he fended off a sudden triple team against I believe Duke last year. Hard to say how good he truly is because he has never played any truly substantial amount of minutes in a row. Basically he gives Solomon or Rehfuss a little breather. He has never played an entire quarter or anything like that.

I've given this a lot of thought and I think, if none of the underclassmen make a big leap by next season, Dordevic should be moved to attack. I agree with those who say that Curry, given his speed is better utilized at midfield. I think he could be a very good attackmen, but I think he will become a great midfielder, and I don't think it is worth moving him. I think Dordevic, given his role-back move, his physicality and heavy shot would make for a really good attackmen. Plus, like Ohiomilax his injury history makes me worry. Having him not run up and down the field playing defense might keep him healthier.

I don't share Ohiomi's concern about Dordevic "losing a step", everything I have read about the kid shows he is one of the most determined lacrosse players out there, whether it's getting healthy or battling learning disabilities. I think he's going to come back better than ever next year. That said, protecting him a little bit by limiting the all out running he does might be helpful.

Now, this is certainly not a rock solid solution. This gives the attack three pretty dominant dodgers, and while Rhefuss has been shoe-horned into the QB of the unit, it hasn't always gone according to plan. Also Cook strikes me as more of a scorer than a QB and probably more naturally slides into Solomon's role. A finisher type for this unit, or an actual QB would more welcomed than a playmaker, but I think this lineup would get the most talent on the field.

As for the youngsters who might slide into a starting role, I am intrigued by Donnely - IMG stats are hard to find but he looks to fit the definition of a finisher, can also dodge and he has good size at 6'2. Also feels like he has been playing big minutes for them for a while now.

Ultimately it will come down to who has improved in the off season - if none of the attackmen have progressed to Desko's liking (and I haven't given up on Seebold, or Berkman) then Desko might need to move a midfielder and I think Dordevic has the best qualities.

I've given this a lot of thought and I think, if none of the underclassmen make a big leap by next season, Dordevic should be moved to attack. I agree with those who say that Curry, given his speed is better utilized at midfield. I think he could be a very good attackmen, but I think he will become a great midfielder, and I don't think it is worth moving him. I think Dordevic, given his role-back move, his physicality and heavy shot would make for a really good attackmen. Plus, like Ohiomilax his injury history makes me worry. Having him not run up and down the field playing defense might keep him healthier.

I don't share Ohiomi's concern about Dordevic "losing a step", everything I have read about the kid shows he is one of the most determined lacrosse players out there, whether it's getting healthy or battling learning disabilities. I think he's going to come back better than ever next year. That said, protecting him a little bit by limiting the all out running he does might be helpful.

Now, this is certainly not a rock solid solution. This gives the attack three pretty dominant dodgers, and while Rhefuss has been shoe-horned into the QB of the unit, it hasn't always gone according to plan. Also Cook strikes me as more of a scorer than a QB and probably more naturally slides into Solomon's role. A finisher type for this unit, or an actual QB would more welcomed than a playmaker, but I think this lineup would get the most talent on the field.

As for the youngsters who might slide into a starting role, I am intrigued by Donnely - IMG stats are hard to find but he looks to fit the definition of a finisher, can also dodge and he has good size at 6'2. Also feels like he has been playing big minutes for them for a while now.

Ultimately it will come down to who has improved in the off season - if none of the attackmen have progressed to Desko's liking (and I haven't given up on Seebold, or Berkman) then Desko might need to move a midfielder and I think Dordevic has the best qualities.

On the one hand Dordevics spin move and split dodge are more suited for attack than Curry’s run-extremely-fast move, but I think he has a similar weakness of finishing at low angles coming around GLE/catching and finishing in traffic around the crease. Probably better than Curry but I don’t know if it would be worth it to lose his value and experience at middie. Would the Dordevic, Curry, and Trimboli middie line be the first in history to get triple poled? Don’t want to break that powerhouse up unless we have to. Maybe Lipka’s game translates to attack better? He has had some nice low angle finishes this year. It’s really a tough question.