Transfer Thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Transfer Thread

I wonder how that works out with the NLI? I guess Cuse just let's him out of it?

This may come as a surprise, but not everyone signs an actual NLI at those events. My neice signed a blank sheet of paper at hers. If he did sign an nli, I’m sure the staff let him go without issue.

This may come as a surprise, but not everyone signs an actual NLI at those events. My neice signed a blank sheet of paper at hers. If he did sign an nli, I’m sure the staff let him go without issue.

Excellent point. Even if he did sign thought I doubt SU would give him much trouble about getting out of the NLI, Desko is pretty easy going when it comes to stuff like that.

I wonder how that works out with the NLI? I guess Cuse just let's him out of it?

Let me rephrase, it is my belief. Circuit info was not heading here despite all former attachs n that Marquette is destination pending admissions. His insta says Marquette #37 though he is not yet listed on their 19 roster. ....Is Kevin Owen Hill on student list?

Let me rephrase, it is my belief. Circuit info was not heading here despite all former attachs n that Marquette is destination pending admissions. His insta says Marquette #37 though he is not yet listed on their 19 roster. ...Is Kevin Owen Hill on student list?
He RT'd this pic of him on campus. So you seem to be correct.

Let me rephrase, it is my belief. Circuit info was not heading here despite all former attachs n that Marquette is destination pending admissions. His insta says Marquette #37 though he is not yet listed on their 19 roster. ...Is Kevin Owen Hill on student list?

There is a Kevin O Hill listed on the SU directory as a freshman, so I think yes.

Thanks Whitey and Powell... Marquette fogo graduated n their replacement is quite unproven. They have little fogo depth while we do Incoming Thornton is capable. Amplo seems to have attracted some transfers

Excellent point. Even if he did sign thought I doubt SU would give him much trouble about getting out of the NLI, Desko is pretty easy going when it comes to stuff like that.
I’m sure if it was cook they wouldn’t be as easy going, but I’m sure SU will get by without a fourth/fifth fogo on the roster.

With the first day of fall classes now just 11 days away, is it likely that players who still are planning to transfer have not informed the school or have most likely already told the staff and no one has just made it public? Not much time left

With the first day of fall classes now just 11 days away, is it likely that players who still are planning to transfer have not informed the school or have most likely already told the staff and no one has just made it public? Not much time left

Most likely the latter, just like the FOGO that Laxsummit pointed out ended up at Marquette, there wasn't any official announcement from SU. If there not more well known players we likely won't find out until classes start or the roster is updated.

No idea if there is any interest between Cuse and Burke or vice versa, but thought it was newsworthy -

No idea if there is any interest between Cuse and Burke or vice versa, but thought it was newsworthy -

He's an attackmen right? I could see SU being interested would be a nice addition/bridge after losing Solomon and Voigt to graduation. SU really hasn't been all that active the last few years in the transfer market, not sure if that was by design or lack of interest either way but I think bringing in an Attackmen next year via a transfer would be a top priority. Someone should forward that to the staff.

He's an attackmen right? I could see SU being interested would be a nice addition/bridge after losing Solomon and Voigt to graduation. SU really hasn't been all that active the last few years in the transfer market, not sure if that was by design or lack of interest either way but I think bringing in an Attackmen next year via a transfer would be a top priority. Someone should forward that to the staff.

Bomberry, Rehfuss, Mariano, Piroli, Ben Williams, this is our bread and butter. Last year was one of the few without a new transfer face on the team that instantly made an impact. Fairfield actually has a very tough schedule so if he's putting up top numbers there he is legit.

He looks like a very accomplished player - would only play for one year but would obviously make an impact. I'm a little worried about the third attack spot (I am assuming Cook will take one of the open spots next to Rhefuss), Seebold has not seen much playing time and when he did get in didn't look overly impressive. No one coming in next year seems to scream immediate starter either. Burke had a big freshman campaign with 63 points - he trailed off the next two years with 40 point seasons, but still led the team. We shall see I guess. It is awfully early to start thinking ahead like this after all.

Kinda late to be transferring, after the season started?

He looks like a very accomplished player - would only play for one year but would obviously make an impact. I'm a little worried about the third attack spot (I am assuming Cook will take one of the open spots next to Rhefuss), Seebold has not seen much playing time and when he did get in didn't look overly impressive. No one coming in next year seems to scream immediate starter either. Burke had a big freshman campaign with 63 points - he trailed off the next two years with 40 point seasons, but still led the team. We shall see I guess. It is awfully early to start thinking ahead like this after all.

If SU doesn't bring in a transfer at attack I suspect SU will move someone to attack from the midfield unless Berkman or Seebold takes a big jump next year. Doredevic, Curry and I believe Levandowski have all played attack before.

If SU doesn't bring in a transfer at attack I suspect SU will move someone to attack from the midfield unless Berkman or Seebold takes a big jump next year. Doredevic, Curry and I believe Levandowski have all played attack before.
In 2020 Rehfuss and Cook will start and they can handle the ball fine, so I would guess that the coaches would be okay putting a finisher (like Voigt or B. Bomberry) with them. Obviously the coaches play more than 3 attackmen, so maybe after Rehfuss and Cook they rotate Seebold and a guy who's mainly a finisher. Donnelly???

In 2020 Rehfuss and Cook will start and they can handle the ball fine, so I would guess that the coaches would be okay putting a finisher (like Voigt or B. Bomberry) with them. Obviously the coaches play more than 3 attackmen, so maybe after Rehfuss and Cook they rotate Seebold and a guy who's mainly a finisher. Donnelly???

I think it depends on the development of the guys on the roster. Can Aburn be a finisher type? Does Berkman look like that QB attacker that can bump Rehfuss to play off of him and then a guy like Cook as the third attackmen. Can a guy like Lauder or Donnelly as you noted break out as that finisher attackmen etc etc etc. Will also be interesting to see if SU pursues any attack transfers or juco guys. With Dordevic back there is also a glut of middies and more on the way, wouldn't be shocked at all if they moved someone as I noted before. Hard to see Seebold in the mix at this point unless he takes a big step forward this off-season. Just don't see it when he gets some run. SU does play at least 4 attackmen so there is room their for a frosh or a guy on the roster already (Berkman/Aburn) to break out and join Rehfuss and Cook.

Curry has to move down, his game translates best to attack. Lipka, Buttermore, Trimbos games don’t translate. Dordevic could but Curry at this point is a better player than he is (for now possibly forever or equal). However I do think this creates an issue, as ohmilax stated Rehfuss and Cook are not finishers. I’m never a fan of not having a true goal scorer on attack a la Voigt. Baring a huge sophomore leap the team may benefit from leaving Cook on second line one more year, but and this is a huge butttt he looks to talented to keep off the field and I don’t see any true talented finishers on this roster right now. Let’s just win it all this year so I can worry about this in my championship hat, shorts, and shirt replaying the win.

I don't think the coaches think the same way you guys are thinking when you suggest moving Curry to attack. If he's on the first middie line, either he or Trimboli are going to get a short stick, as long as the opponent doesn't double pole them, so when deciding on who's playing attack they need to figure out who is going to command a long stick. Even pure finishers like Voigt demand a long stick, because if Voigt gets open inside (which easier to do vs. a shorty) he's gonna score a lot of goals. If Rehfuss and Cook are starting attackmen, they need one more who will command a long stick. I'm hoping that Seebold, who has not dodged well in games this season but has played within the offense otherwise, can reach that level. I'm cautiously optimistic about Donnelly and Swenson. I still don't know how Lauder comes up in these discussions.

I don't think the coaches think the same way you guys are thinking when you suggest moving Curry to attack. If he's on the first middie line, either he or Trimboli are going to get a short stick, as long as the opponent doesn't double pole them, so when deciding on who's playing attack they need to figure out who is going to command a long stick. Even pure finishers like Voigt demand a long stick, because if Voigt gets open inside (which easier to do vs. a shorty) he's gonna score a lot of goals. If Rehfuss and Cook are starting attackmen, they need one more who will command a long stick. I'm hoping that Seebold, who has not dodged well in games this season but has played within the offense otherwise, can reach that level. I'm cautiously optimistic about Donnelly and Swenson. I still don't know how Lauder comes up in these discussions.

Lauder has been mentioned as a potential "finisher" type of attackmen. Its unlikely he sees any PT but if someone said Voigt would be a starting attackmen three years ago I think you probably would have had a similar response which I wouldn't have disagreed with. I think the thought process with moving Curry to attack is that with a healthy Dordevic and a Sr Trimbo plus the continued development of guys like Buttermore, lipka, Magnan, Fiorini , Quinn etc you have a logjam at midfield and you want to get a guy like Curry on the field as much as possible. Also as good a player as Curry is, his shooting % isn't great. Getting him dodging to score from X or GLE could produce more goals. Its all speculation though, SU could keep everyone or even move someone else like Dordevic who has also played attack.

I hear what your saying I do but look at it this way your top offensive players next year in order of how they have looked this year are:
Curry
Trimboli
Dordevic (based on last years production)
Rehfuss
Lipka
Cook
Buttermore
Dearth
Magnan
Kim
Seebold

In your top 10 players you have 2 attackman, you can’t put your 11th best offensive player at attack for the sake of him having an A to the right of his name on the roster. They give him every chance and he cradles the life out of the ball and never even slightly gets past his man. Nelson and Kim look better than Seebold at this point.

Edit: I just want them to make this move ASAP after this season so curry or whomever can get used to attack, he can always move back to middy but moving to attack during the season or end of fall is hard. The ESPN announcer Actually mentioned the possibility of the move happening on TV last night for everyone in the dome who didn’t hear it.

Last edited:
Curry is a definite middie in my opinion. His dodging is best suited to having a full head of steam and just blazing down the alley, not finalizer style moves or other quick direction changes. Also finishing with an alley shot, something he has excelled at this year when he is on his game, is far different from finishing coming around GLE. That requires a great deal of finesse, fakes, and just a general instinct for what type of shot the goalie is anticipating. He has not proven he has that skill set but he has certainly proven his ability as an alley dodger and shooter. Why take him out of a middie dodging role and put him in situations in which he hasn't gained on field experience in his first two years?