Transfers & Offensive Line | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Transfers & Offensive Line

This is quite a thread.

1. How do we know who they are reaching out to or not? You got a spy cam somewhere?

2. We’re assuming they’re happy with the OL now? They were like “you know, we’re not giving up enough sacks”

3. I like where we’re preemptively mad about something that hasn’t happened yet.

4. Can’t be two years of bad injury luck. Must be someone’s fault. Another jump to conclusions that are ill supported.

Top notch stuff.

So, which idioms do we follow with regards to the portal:

He who hesitates is lost, or, patience is a virtue?
The early bird gets the worm, or, good things come to those who wait?
You snooze you lose, or, Rome wasn't built in a day?

I could keep going, but my point is that actions are often justified after the fact. While perception is often equated with reality, the fact is that we don't really know how the coaches perceive the team's strengths and deficiencies. I think that if our perception is even close to what the coaches believe, then they have a plan. If they think (perceive) differently, then either they will follow the path they think is most appropriate and be successful---if they're correct, or if they are incorrect, then their faults will cost them their jobs.
But this is a fan forum, so we can have our fun as this plays out and debate, second-guess, pearl clutch, piss and moan, etc.
I'm off to get some popcorn...

Still laughing at this thread “Can’t believe we didn’t reach out to a kid who we recruited once but maybe we did reach out and we don’t know if he had mutual interest but prolly not and I’m so angry they are happy with our crappy OL”

Servais, Davis, Bleich, Froumy, Red back healthy. Vetterelo and Illoa a year stronger/older/wiser. 5 frosh coming in. Bergeron locked in, Tisdale can improve... Oline isn't our biggest need if our oline coach is worth a damn...

Last year, they struggled mightily to pick up ANY blitz.

I sometimes wonder if they were hoping that we would be going so fast, that teams wouldn't be able to blitz. Yes. Thats a ridiculous statement, but it seemed like assignments being blown was the norm.

Fair enough. The oline performance has been an issue that predates Dino and I am with you. The guy the OP notes just entered the portal Tuesday afternoon and today is Thursday. Even if his inside information was 100% accurate, I am not sure that 1.5 days going by before contact is egregious.

Good/fair point. I’m actually not “bent” on any of that in particular, just throwing out I think the kid should at least be contacted to gauge interest in a timely manner. Doesn’t mean it has to have happened, although I was in sales for years and you’re either on top of it now or you’re losing to someone else.

Still laughing at this thread “Can’t believe we didn’t reach out to a kid who we recruited once but maybe we did reach out and we don’t know if he had mutual interest but prolly not and I’m so angry they are happy with our crappy OL”

I’m actually laughing at the fact you think the OP is just assuming there’s been no contact. And that you’ve felt the need to post twice about it. You’ve been on here a decent amount of time, clearly not long enough though.

Servais, Davis, Bleich, Froumy, Red back healthy. Vetterelo and Illoa a year stronger/older/wiser. 5 frosh coming in. Bergeron locked in, Tisdale can improve... Oline isn't our biggest need if our oline coach is worth a damn...

On paper, they've got a full two-deep - finally - going into Year 6.
Let's see how many make it to the field, and then we will find out if Cavanaugh can still coach or not.

One of the other guys who you thought was good enough to give a scholarship to.
Unfortunately, the available guys were Ilaoa,(needs developement, SnC), Barclay and Petry. (Need a year of SnC, size).

I’m actually laughing at the fact you think the OP is just assuming there’s been no contact. And that you’ve felt the need to post twice about it. You’ve been on here a decent amount of time, clearly not long enough though.

Ok? Even if he knows - it was vague enough to not be convincing. Outrage with not enough proof makes for a bad post. Throw in the fact it’s one dude out of a bunch in the portal and maybe they don’t like him for a number of reasons?

It’s all a bit much

One would assume that Dino and staff would be searching the transfer portal for offensive line help, including immediately reaching out to players they previously recruited. One would further assume that the staff has someone monitoring the transfer portal 24/7 and or has set up the proper alerts from the portal for immediate notification of new entries.

However, this doesn’t seem to be the case. There has been no contact with Johnny Jordan (3-year starting center, HM all-Big Ten, transferring from Maryland) or his former teammate Marcus Minor.

This is dereliction of duty. I am not saying that the staff must successfully recruit these kids to Syracuse, but to not even reach out to them is bad.

Peace
Do you know why those two guys didn't choose SU? I don't. But, it's possible they didn't have serious interest in SU the first time around. I don't know if the coaches are being "derelict" or not, but I know that's not the only potential reason for the lack of contact that you reference.
You also didn't provide any basis for your assertion other than you've posted good things in the past.

On paper, they've got a full two-deep - finally - going into Year 6.
Let's see how many make it to the field, and then we will find out if Cavanaugh can still coach or not.

That explains it. 6 years and not enough players for a 2 deep

Do you know why those two guys didn't choose SU? I don't. But, it's possible they didn't have serious interest in SU the first time around. I don't know if the coaches are being "derelict" or not, but I know that's not the only potential reason for the lack of contact that you reference.
You also didn't provide any basis for your assertion other than you've posted good things in the past.

Maybe they didn't choose SU because SU has a reputation of being Loser Univ. Having a chance to play quickly is not always a determining factor. Some kids want to be part of a winning program and reap the benefits that a winning program brings, ie bowl games, etc. Some kids don't want to explain to their buddies why they went to a school that loses most of the time. Sometimes it's the parents influence. It can be many factors. Baber has these challenges to overcome. If he builds a consistent winner, recruiting becomes easier. Based on his track record that remains to be seen. Every programs recruits late developers that where overlooked or underrated players. (For you old enough to remember, Louie Orr wasn't expected to do anything for a couple of years, Louie was a diamond in the rough.) So your have to discount these players and look at the accomplishments of a recruiting class as a whole over 4 years. Sadly after 5 years Babers still doesn't have depth at the most critical part of the team, the OL and DF lines. And most of the recruits he signed this year will be red shirted and are at least 1-3 years from being consistent performers. Hopefully Babers will turn the corner but if he doesn't we will be into 6 years of status quo. Baber's performance, fan support, and ticket sales will determine his fate as a coach. At a lot of other Div 1 programs he would be gone. As Clint Eastwood said in a movie, you could say this about keeping Babers "Do you feel lucky?"

I think Dino has a man crush on Servais. It must be the Sampson-esque hair.
But I cannot remember a worse OL in my 55 years of following Syracuse football who was held in such high esteem.

If I remember right (from the article in Syracuse.com) Servais was a recruit that he was recruiting for Bowling Green.

Well this post is going to get people riled up. You know you can’t question the staff after a 1 win season. They’re doing everything right, you just can’t see it.
I will question a staff after a one-win season, just not after THIS one-win season.

Ok? Even if he knows - it was vague enough to not be convincing. Outrage with not enough proof makes for a bad post. Throw in the fact it’s one dude out of a bunch in the portal and maybe they don’t like him for a number of reasons?

It’s all a bit much

Come on, you’re one of the most easily triggered people on here. You took his post as outrage b/c any attack on the staff you find as a personal attack on you for some weird reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom