Trevor Cooney's offense | Syracusefan.com

Trevor Cooney's offense

SBU72

All Conference
While watching the games it appears to me that there are 2 problems here. The first is TC is not getting the ball the same way as he did the first half of the season. In the those games, when TC came around a pick, he received the ball quickly (ball almost waiting for him) and right on line to go up with his shot. Recently the ball is getting there later (he's waiting for the ball) and often times he has to reach for the ball. Both things take that fraction of a second for he to get a good shot. The second thing is that TC seems to be moving less than earlier. He circles around the baseline and up the side lines. He never cuts diagonally across the lane. Also, is seems his cuts off of picks is not as close as it use to be. Hate to say this that watching Duke players pass picks is the way it should be done. They actually brush the pick (even if the defenders hedge) and causes the defenders to under picks.

Ennis and Cooney should watch tape on how MCW and Southerland got those trailing/transition 3's last year

Cooney is getting looks, his shot is just off right now. Just like everyone not wearing #5 or #11

Cooney's problem is 90% of his shots are identical. Running off curls, and fading into the shot. How often does he step into a three? Almost never.

Transition will allow him to step into his shot.

It's brutal to watch right now, like most of our O.

One thing that would help him is when he drives it he would just pull up and shoot 15 footer instead of going all the way to the rim and getting swatted or passing it off for a turnover. He hits a couple of those 15 footers and suddenly he starts making the long ones too

Cooney isn't a finished product yet, but his offensive game is very 1 dimensional right now. He doesn't work to get open off screens. Its all off curls or nothing. Cooney/SG position have been subpar these past 8 games and its why we struggle to score. We need better production from the SG position,.

Part of the issue is that Cooney doesn't read screens well. He almost always makes the same cut, even if the defense dictates a different option.

When reading pin-down screens (like the type our half-court offense often uses to initiate a set), players basically have four cuts they can make. They should:

• Pop straight off the screen to the perimeter if the defender runs straight into the screen.
  • Curl the cut back into the lane if the defender chases around the screen.
  • Fade (Hubie Brown calls this "Bump") to the corner if the defender tries to split between the screener and his teammate defending the screener.
  • Back cut if the defender tries to cheat around the screen and deny the pass or if the screener's defender switches to the outside of the screen to deny the pass.
It seems that 90% or more of the time, Cooney takes the pop cut to the perimeter, regardless of how the defender plays him. However, cutters should read the defense and choose the cut based on that.

Cooney should slow down and read the defense--this would help him get better looks. It would also aid his teammates in getting better shots by forcing defensive movement as they adjust.

Before I'm accused of picking on Trevor, though, let me say that he isn't the only player on the team that doesn't read screens well. It's a skill that all of our perimeter players could improve. Furthermore, our bigs could use work on setting screens and how they roll off of them based on the cutter's cut.

For more on the subject, check out this link:

http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com/2008/10/hubie-brown-on-reading-screens-on.html

Part of the issue is that Cooney doesn't read screens well. He almost always makes the same cut, even if the defense dictates a different option.

When reading pin-down screens (like the type our half-court offense often uses to initiate a set), players basically have four cuts they can make. They should:

• Pop straight off the screen to the perimeter if the defender runs straight into the screen.
  • Curl the cut back into the lane if the defender chases around the screen.
  • Fade (Hubie Brown calls this "Bump") to the corner if the defender tries to split between the screener and his teammate defending the screener.
  • Back cut if the defender tries to cheat around the screen and deny the pass or if the screener's defender switches to the outside of the screen to deny the pass.
It seems that 90% or more of the time, Cooney takes the pop cut to the perimeter, regardless of how the defender plays him. However, cutters should read the defense and choose the cut based on that.

Cooney should slow down and read the defense--this would help him get better looks. It would also aid his teammates in getting better shots by forcing defensive movement as they adjust.

Before I'm accused of picking on Trevor, though, let me say that he isn't the only player on the team that doesn't read screens well. It's a skill that all of our perimeter players could improve. Furthermore, our bigs could use work on setting screens and how they roll off of them based on the cutter's cut.

For more on the subject, check out this link:

http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com/2008/10/hubie-brown-on-reading-screens-on.html
Great post! I agree with everything you said. I have noticed as the season has worn on that cooney and fair have really started to round their cuts off screens. They leave a lot of space for the defender to get through the screen. If they would just come off the screen tighter almost bumping shoulders with the big setting the screen they would get cleaner looks.

Alsacs said:
Cooney/SG position have been subpar these past 8 games.

I can name a dozen other reasons. And if you can pin our offensive problems on one player, then give him props for winning the first 25 for us.

One thing that would help him is when he drives it he would just pull up and shoot 15 footer instead of going all the way to the rim and getting swatted or passing it off for a turnover. He hits a couple of those 15 footers and suddenly he starts making the long ones too
The one post I really agree with (other than TC is not the only problem). Even another step in to 10 ft would work great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom