Trill Williams | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Trill Williams

I'm with Money on this one. Trill opting out a few games in, and his physical result has me thinking he was dealing with something. Guessing he wanted to save himself for his goal.

I think the Chris Bleich situation might draw a parallel. Kid wanted to be a Gator. They had him playing through an injury he wanted repaired.(double hip?) Transferred his arse to a team that was willing to let him work through those issues. I Believe his family publicly stated he was being treated like hamburger. A piece of cheap meat. That's college football. Chris had the time. Trill, not so much. A losing coaching staff can't afford to not roll out an injured Trill Williams. So he opted out. That stuff puts a bad taste in players mouths. It's why Bleich is here. It's probably why Trill declared. None of this stuff is cut and dry.

I personally wish Trill stayed. If you had questions if the medical staff could get you right? you declare... A healthy Trill makes an NFL roster.

I'm with Money on this one. Trill opting out a few games in, and his physical result has me thinking he was dealing with something. Guessing he wanted to save himself for his goal.

I think the Chris Bleich situation might draw a parallel. Kid wanted to be a Gator. They had him playing through an injury he wanted repaired.(double hip?) Transferred his arse to a team that was willing to let him work through those issues. I Believe his family publicly stated he was being treated like hamburger. A piece of cheap meat. That's college football. Chris had the time. Trill, not so much. A losing coaching staff can't afford to not roll out an injured Trill Williams. So he opted out. That stuff puts a bad taste in players mouths. It's why Bleich is here. It's probably why Trill declared. None of this stuff is cut and dry.

I personally wish Trill stayed. If you had questions if the medical staff could get you right? you declare... A healthy Trill makes an NFL roster.
"If you had questions the medical staff could get you right? you declare"

So you are saying their was a difference of opinion on how to treat an injury?

I'm not sure how declaring fixes that? NFL teams don't give out free healthcare in the months leading up to the draft.

He should have transferred after the Fall Semester if he thought something SU was doing was not right. BTW, are we even sure it was wrong whatever SU was or wasn't doing for Trill? Sometimes the lure of the NFL lifestyle corrupts rational thought and the player and family have blame.

As others said, basketball players have much better options for up to 10 years if you don't make the NBA and are willing to travel. Football you have Canada and unless you are a superstar the money isn't life-changing. TBD on this new Spring/Summer league but initially it seems like semi-pro with a TV contract.

I kinda wonder if Trill wasn't sure how many more seasons of football his body has life in it, and he thought it might be too risky to pass another one playing in college instead of the NFL.

This.

All athletes - football players in particular - have a limited shelf life.
(TB12 and his deal w Satan excluded ;))

Can’t blame Trill for wanting to try to earn $ for as much of whatever he has of that as possible.

The goal of every NFL player should be this

NFL players are fully vested in the plan after three years on active roster or injured reserve status. The benefit amount is then based on the number of credited seasons played. In 2014 the average annual NFL player's pension benefit was $43,000. The NFL pension plan was funded at 55.9 percent in April 2014.

The players' really let the NFL get them...this is huge down the road.

"If you had questions the medical staff could get you right? you declare"

So you are saying their was a difference of opinion on how to treat an injury?

I'm not sure how declaring fixes that? NFL teams don't give out free healthcare in the months leading up to the draft.

He should have transferred after the Fall Semester if he thought something SU was doing was not right. BTW, are we even sure it was wrong whatever SU was or wasn't doing for Trill? Sometimes the lure of the NFL lifestyle corrupts rational thought and the player and family have blame.

As others said, basketball players have much better options for up to 10 years if you don't make the NBA and are willing to travel. Football you have Canada and unless you are a superstar the money isn't life-changing. TBD on this new Spring/Summer league but initially it seems like semi-pro with a TV contract.
Nahh. What OIG said. Players play through stuff all the time. Sometimes they feel its worth it, other times its a concern.

If it was a concern of getting back to 100%,, or the risk of reinjury was high? He may have preferred his chances in the NFL, where most had him as a late round pick.

Last edited:
What are you talking about? I said based off of what I have observed as a sports fan, his decision was unique and puzzling. That's it. I know I don't have al the info. My opinion is merely in relation to other guys that I have seen, as a sports fan, that have made simlar decisons. How is that so wrong? I'm not commenting on what he needs to do for his personal life or what he may need to do for his family. Frankly, I don't care to talk about any of that. I come here to talk about sports. In regards to him being drafted and beginning a career as a professional football player, his decision to forego college eligibility to begin his career as a pro is something different than any I have seen. If you want to make this more than a sports conversation, have it with someone else.

If anyone says anything that you can percieve as any sort of a slight, you seem to love to tell them why they should not express those opinions. What's interesting here is I'm not even slighting him. I think he's a great athlete that scouts didn't have much of a chance to see. In a career such as professional sports where things are cut throat, with the NFL more cut throat than most and with fewer options to fall back on, I hope the lack of exposure doesn't keep him from getting where he wants to go. I'm rooting for him.
No secret messages or agendas, man. Just think you have to add an asterisk to any statement that describes a players decision as a mistake - when you can’t possibly know enough to judge it that way.

Didn’t say you can’t share you’re take - just said it was uninformed and not worth getting into a back and forth over.

I just root for the kid to succeed. Hope he gets where he wants to go.

No secret messages or agendas, man. Just think you have to add an asterisk to any statement that describes a players decision as a mistake - when you can’t possibly know enough to judge it that way.

Didn’t say you can’t share you’re take - just said it was uninformed and not worth getting into a back and forth over.

I just root for the kid to succeed. Hope he gets where he wants to go.
Yup, I dont understand the assumption that he made a bandwagon decision. Like he didn't thoroughly go through the process with his coaches, NFL guys, parents etc... They all knew the pluses and minuses. They knew what the benefits and risks of going to back to Cuse another season.

Yup, I dont understand the assumption that he made a bandwagon decision. Like he didn't thoroughly go through the process with his coaches, NFL guys, parents etc... They all knew the pluses and minuses. They knew what the benefits and risks of going to back to Cuse another season.
Why do you assume that is the assumption people are making?

Lol at all the nitpicking. "You don't know all the facts"...So what? That's why it's an opinion. It's not hard to understand why people have it.
Fact: Trill opted out a year and a half early
Fact: Trill did not have the same depth of college resume as his peers
Fact: Trill is now on the outside of the NFL looking in.

Those are facts and can't be denied. At the end of the day if Trill doesn't make a roster then I don't see how anyone can think it was a good decision, even with mitigating factors. His career might very well be over right now and it didn't have to be. That is the bottom line. I wish him all the best but I don't think it's wrong to state an opinion that says both SU and Trill would have been in a better position had he stayed. People many times can and do make the wrong decision even when they have all the facts. Why can't we question it?

Admittedly, I haven't read every post on this thread so I'm not sure this has been mentioned but it wouldn't shock me if part of Trill's decision-making was based on Cisco and Iffy leaving. He could have fallen into the trap that he thought he was just as good as those two. Just hate to see this. Hard to leave early when you're projected as a sub-package guy and not a starter. Could have used another year of technique and tape.

Lol at all the nitpicking. "You don't know all the facts"...So what? That's why it's an opinion. It's not hard to understand why people have it.
Fact: Trill opted out a year and a half early
Fact: Trill did not have the same depth of college resume as his peers
Fact: Trill is now on the outside of the NFL looking in.

Those are facts and can't be denied. At the end of the day if Trill doesn't make a roster then I don't see how anyone can think it was a good decision, even with mitigating factors. His career might very well be over right now and it didn't have to be. That is the bottom line. I wish him all the best but I don't think it's wrong to state an opinion that says both SU and Trill would have been in a better position had he stayed. People many times can and do make the wrong decision even when they have all the facts. Why can't we question it?

Your first fact is an opinion and can be denied.

Your first fact is an opinion and can be denied.
I think he meant opted out of playing for SU / left for the draft with a year and a half of eligibility left.

Though with the Covid exemption for 2020 it was potentially 2 and a half years or maybe only 2 if he was out for the remainder of 2020 due to injury.

Admittedly, I haven't read every post on this thread so I'm not sure this has been mentioned but it wouldn't shock me if part of Trill's decision-making was based on Cisco and Iffy leaving. He could have fallen into the trap that he thought he was just as good as those two. Just hate to see this. Hard to leave early when you're projected as a sub-package guy and not a starter. Could have used another year of technique and tape.

Or maybe worried of what a year without Iffy and Thong Song playing in the defensive backfield with him would look like? Maybe spots in his game he worried would get exposed? Maybe worried he'd get beat out for his position (unlikely if healthy but...), maybe he was just tired of school, maybe worried about his body breaking down for good, or maybe he has family issues that he wants to try and help with? A million possibilities for sure.

One thing I try to never fault someone for is a decision where I don't know the individual personally to potentially know their motivation unless it's egregious. I don't count his choice as being anything close to that. Was a dice roll on the surface but maybe his best shot.

The only thing I’ll add to this conversation is this... I didn’t realize how limited my perspective was until I got into coaching.

Something that was completely logical or rational in my mind wasn’t an option for somebody else. Our opinions come from our own experiences and perspectives. Mine were much more limited earlier on than I realized.

Everyone can determine what the best course of action is for themselves when everything is laid out in front of them to base the decision off of.

Not everyone has an agent dedicated to them, financial advisors, an accountant, an attorney, etc.

At 20 years old, if someone I respected told me I had the opportunity to realize a dream and become rich in doing so... as an impulse buyer and an eternal optimist, good chance I would’ve jumped, logic be damned.

Or maybe worried of what a year without Iffy and Thong Song playing in the defensive backfield with him would look like? Maybe spots in his game he worried would get exposed? Maybe worried he'd get beat out for his position (unlikely if healthy but...), maybe he was just tired of school, maybe worried about his body breaking down for good, or maybe he has family issues that he wants to try and help with? A million possibilities for sure.

One thing I try to never fault someone for is a decision where I don't know the individual personally to potentially know their motivation unless it's egregious. I don't count his choice as being anything close to that. Was a dice roll on the surface but maybe his best shot.

Absolutely, everyone's decision making process is their own business and everyone's situation is different. Just wish he was given better advice - especially if he was injured. He gave up "free" world class medical care/rehab to chase an unlikely (due to his health) chance at making a team. Now his uphill battle becomes even steeper if he has to finance his rehabilitation himself. Hope he finds a way to get healthy and gets another shot.

Absolutely, everyone's decision making process is their own business and everyone's situation is different. Just wish he was given better advice - especially if he was injured. He gave up "free" world class medical care/rehab to chase an unlikely (due to his health) chance at making a team. Now his uphill battle becomes even steeper if he has to finance his rehabilitation himself. Hope he finds a way to get healthy and gets another shot.

Fair. Advice he was given may have in fact been sound though. No guarantee he'd have graded higher if he'd came back for a year.

Fair. Advice he was given may have in fact been sound though. No guarantee he'd have graded higher if he'd came back for a year.

Yes but hopefully he'd be healthy at least. If people knew he was injured and still pushed him towards the draft, I can't agree that was sound advice. Failing an initial physical in the NFL is typically not something people come back from.

Yes but hopefully he'd be healthy at least. If people knew he was injured and still pushed him towards the draft, I can't agree that was sound advice. Failing an initial physical in the NFL is typically not something people come back from.

Exactly.

his NFL Career and likely football career is over and it’s over with a year(ish) of eligibility left.

he also left a free education on the table as well. Not only did he leave school to chase his dreams at the NFL but whoever was giving him advice also cost him his chance to have a diploma from Syracuse University with his name on it for free.

I know you guys said all the other stuff about we don’t know his circumstances and you’re correct.

But from an outside perspective, it appears to be a major misguidance and an unfortunate ending for Trill

Correct but if it's a degenerative condition or something the clock was already ticking and maybe he never will be back to 100% or any better than he was right now. It's all conjecture and appreciate the convo, just points that 99% of us posting here probably have no actual insight.

Exactly.

his NFL Career and likely football career is over and it’s over with a year(ish) of eligibility left.

he also left a free education on the table as well. Not only did he leave school to chase his dreams at the NFL but whoever was giving him advice also cost him his chance to have a diploma from Syracuse University with his name on it for free.

I know you guys said all the other stuff about we don’t know his circumstances and you’re correct.

But from an outside perspective, it appears to be a major misguidance and an unfortunate ending for Trill
We don't know that his football career is over. The hill may be tougher to climb, but if he gets himself healthy, he'll get a shot somewhere.

As discussed earlier, he likely still has his free education. Players are often allowed to finish their degree at no charge if they leave early.

We don't know that his football career is over. The hill may be tougher to climb, but if he gets himself healthy, he'll get a shot somewhere.

As discussed earlier, he likely still has his free education. Players are often allowed to finish their degree at no charge if they leave early.
Statistically his path is now tougher to climb, not impossible, but much tougher. I do not believe there is any guarantee of a cost free education, highly situation dependent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom