Trishton Jackson: Vikings | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Trishton Jackson: Vikings

Most people who earned a college degree, chose to stop going to school and make money with said degree. What's to debate here?

Nothing at all. He has a right to do what he wants.

When I graduated I could have gone to grad school and earned more money or take the job I did, which led to a career plateau it took a lot longer to crack through. I consider it a mistake made. Everyone makes mistakes. I’m not judging the dude for it.

Makes complete sense to leave school early to go undrafted. Kid got some bad advice
really tough to make a roster as an UDFA. Hope he can stick, make practice squad or impress in preseason to go to another team. Amba, Ish and Erv were all among nation's leading receivers and all were UDFA's who have struggled to stay in league. Only one on roster is Ish and he's on injured reserve.

Nothing at all. He has a right to do what he wants.

When I graduated I could have gone to grad school and earned more money or take the job I did, which led to a career plateau it took a lot longer to crack through. I consider it a mistake made. Everyone makes mistakes. I’m not judging the dude for it.

You did not have a "terminal" degree. When it comes to college football, he has one.

really tough to make a roster as an UDFA. Hope he can stick, make practice squad or impress in preseason to go to another team. Amba, Ish and Erv were all among nation's leading receivers and all were UDFA's who have struggled to stay in league. Only one on roster is Ish and he's on injured reserve.

That's because they usually aren't good enough.

Let's not make this so difficult. Occam's razor.

You did not have a "terminal" degree. When it comes to college football, he has one.

Well I guess when it comes to playing football for Syracuse “terminal” makes sense.

Heyooo. I’ll show myself out.

Seriously though, and I’m getting ready to head out so likely wrapping with this. I wish him the best. I’m not judging him. Life is full of decisions and sometimes even syracuse players and their advisors get it wrong. But I hope he draws an inside straight and has a great career.

It’s been said more than once that it’s better to be a UFA than a late round pick.

I don’t know if it’s true or not. But it’s an idea that’s out there.

Everyone wants to hear their name get called. No one can deny that. However, in the seventh round where you're more likely to be cut at the end of training camp, you at least want to be able to choose your destination. Jackson's hand is favorable considering the Rams depth at receiver; they have none. They drafted Van Jefferson in the second round and that was it outside of signing a handful of guys at WR as UDFAs. He's going to have to work, but if he makes the team, he can be the fifth receiver depending on how things unfold.

I don't fault him at all; I totally get it. However, this is the deepest WR draft in YEARS. He probably would have been a 5th round pick last year and likely next year. It might not have been the best idea to leave THIS year. Here's hoping he sticks on the roster and is given a real shot to succeed. He has all the talent in the world.
Yah you're 100% correct - but maybe he just wanted to move on? I mean, we obviously don't know his motives but sometimes people just decide it's time to go. I would love for him to come back but given the current situation in the world of sports who's to say he'd be able to showcase his ability next year?

The problem isn't players deciding not to exhaust their eligibility. The problem is that the NCAA doesn't provide enough reasons for the athletes to stay.
How exactly is the NCAA supposed to incentivize staying in college? (Not talking about those who have a degree, but all those “others”.)

How exactly is the NCAA supposed to incentivize staying in college? (Not talking about those who have a degree, but all those “others”.)
By allowing them to profit from their name and likeness.

I'm so glad you asked.

I'm so glad you asked.
Finally something we agree on in this thread...there we go. Although i'd prefer a stipend payment structure vs endorsements but we are in the same ballpark...

Syracuse or LA real tough choice
So funny. And misses so many points.

Years ago, I had to make a decision regarding a job offer within my company to move to LA (which I traveled to at least once every month anyway - LA, San Fran, Phoenix) or stay “near” my aging parents and family (Virginia to Syr). I decided to stay on the East Coast even though I LOVED the Cali lifestyle.

Guess what. I’ve never regretted that decision. My Dad died from cancer a few years later and I was able to be with him - and my Mom - throughout the horrible ordeal. Don't get me wrong, I know Cali woud‘ve been great for me BUT i knew the travel time/distance would've been a huge hurdle to see my parents and family.

There’s more to life than nice weather and tits. (Did I just say that out loud? haha)

I'm so glad you asked.
Yeah, that’s not college. That’s professional sports.

Yah you're 100% correct - but maybe he just wanted to move on? I mean, we obviously don't know his motives but sometimes people just decide it's time to go. I would love for him to come back but given the current situation in the world of sports who's to say he'd be able to showcase his ability next year?

I totally get that, which is why I don’t judge him and I’m not bad at all. It’s just a shame; he deserved to get drafted.

Yeah, that’s not college. That’s professional sports.
Which is totally cool.

We just shouldn't ever second guess a player that attempts to make an income playing football then.

Which is totally cool.

We just shouldn't ever second guess a player that attempts to make an income playing football then.
I think people are saying it was a bad business decision.

Which is totally cool.

I don’t question a persons motives, and never weighed in on TJ’s decision to jump. But you will never stop people from speculating whether someone might have been better served by staying.

Which is totally cool.

I absolutely would never second guess a players desire to get paid. But i also see no problem in acknowledging that he may have cost himself some of that money by not waiting a year. I'm not saying he's a bad guy, criminal, or anything else critical. Just he did the very human thing that is making a mistake.

But they should be paid.

Does anyone think breaking up with Tiana factored into him leaving

It was probably all about football.

Remember theres another side to being the only proven threat on your team and getting more targets than anyone... your risk of injury is higher than anyone.

Plenty of risk to him coming back he would have seen a lot of usage with a QB who doesn’t even know other wideouts on the team exists.

Plenty of upside to coming back though he could easily lead CFB in receptions and yards. But that’s not always enough.

I don’t really see the mistake. He could have came back, and maybe played one more season to maybe improve to a late round draft pick. All while losing a year of income. I’ll never understand why coming back is suppose to help a player improve so much, like that can’t be done while training with an NFL team.

That's because they usually aren't good enough.

Let's not make this so difficult. Occam's razor.

Seriously. You would think coming back for one more year is going to transform the kid into a completely different player. Being drafted in the 5th or 6th round, instead of being an UDFA doesn’t exactly increase the chances of sticking in the league substantially. If you think he could have become an early round pick, then I don’t have much for that. Except it being about as likely as him suffering a significant injury if he came back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom